U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 06:06 PM

272 posts, read 842,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
i lived in ptree corners for 14 years and i never once heard someone say they would prefer a norcross address. i also disagree - ptree corners is worth saving, and it needs to be saved before its too late. we moved there in 1990, and within two or three years the apartments along ptree corners circle underwent a rapid transition from young people without children to lower income families. after simpson elem. was built, peachtree elementary transformed into a mostly lower class school. the kroger shoppping center has a rough crowd, and its nothing like the local grunges who hung at market place movie theater in the 90s. those are just some examples. i like peachtree corners, and it was a great place to grow up. its residential suburban character is what gives it appeal. thats why its time to act to preserve this. you sound ignorant saying that nothing in peachtree corners is worth saving.
Funny...i remember my folks complaining about Neely Farms being developed...the area would have been soooo much nicer with a beautiful farm in its midst.

as a p'tree elem alum I understand the complaint about apartments...which...again...is why i would like them to incorperate. I saw how it all changed.

Dont throw the ignorant word around...opinions are allowd here...my problem is with the public relm...why is the bowling alley worth preserving???why is the Berger king worth perserving..? the car wash on the corner??? the old cub foods???why???why???what is that worth??? Private homes are one thing...but the public areas...(parks not included) holcomb bridge and spalding??what a dump!

Even the Kroger area...remember when the movie theater was the Kroger?

Last edited by carrot; 01-29-2010 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 07:49 PM

8,059 posts, read 10,537,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Wow, what a greatly written, well presented post! Wonder who wrote that?

Old 01-29-2010, 07:56 PM

8,059 posts, read 10,537,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I wonder if "Norcross High School" will be located within an incorporated Peachtree Corners???

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-m...HS_650x450.jpg

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-m...map121109b.pdf

...hmmmmm.
I like that second map and propose that Gwinnett reorganize using the high school names and boundaries for individual cities. Perhaps Central, North and South Gwinnett could stay Lawrenceville, Sugar Hill (or is it Suwanee... or merge them... Sugarknee? Swan Hill?) and Snellville respectively, but lets go with the rest!

Old 01-30-2010, 08:36 AM

1,498 posts, read 2,677,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
Funny...i remember my folks complaining about Neely Farms being developed...the area would have been soooo much nicer with a beautiful farm in its midst.

as a p'tree elem alum I understand the complaint about apartments...which...again...is why i would like them to incorperate. I saw how it all changed.

Dont throw the ignorant word around...opinions are allowd here...my problem is with the public relm...why is the bowling alley worth preserving???why is the Berger king worth perserving..? the car wash on the corner??? the old cub foods???why???why???what is that worth??? Private homes are one thing...but the public areas...(parks not included) holcomb bridge and spalding??what a dump!

Even the Kroger area...remember when the movie theater was the Kroger?
well yeah i agree some of the public area needs redevelopment. but the intersection of spalding and holcomb is one of the nicer commercial areas. i like the little wiliamsburg style shopping center, and the publix one is nice too (remember when it had a big star and a turtles?). the old ingles shopping center ("spalding green") and drug imporium should be redeveloped. i like the bowling alley and had some really good times there so i dont know if id want it demolished. but the rest of holcomb bridge is a disgrace and needs a city of peachtree corners to fix it.

but some of the strip malls are unique, especially market place, with its unchanged 80s architecture and that little courtyard in the middle (this was where the grunges would hang out). i dont think it should be torn down, but maybe its parking lot could be developed.

i dont remember a kroger being where the movie theater was. i was referring to market place and the kroger across the street on ptree parkway.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:17 PM

14,390 posts, read 23,064,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I like that second map and propose that Gwinnett reorganize using the high school names and boundaries for individual cities. Perhaps Central, North and South Gwinnett could stay Lawrenceville, Sugar Hill (or is it Suwanee... or merge them... Sugarknee? Swan Hill?) and Snellville respectively, but lets go with the rest!

That would be a good idea. Would work in Cobb, DeKalb, and Clayton counties as well.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:16 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,737,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
As others have said both here and in previous threads, incorporation is usually about local control (zoning, etc.), and not about status.
Not buying it. Yes its about local control but for the specific purpose of mentally "gating" the area. Don't get me wrong, I think there are legitimate concerns that areas like this could experience decline. I just think that decline has more to do with sprawl than people's bank accounts.

Ironically, the city of Norcross is the only interesting thing I've seen in that area. Is there anything else there but strip malls?

Old 01-30-2010, 06:43 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,990,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Not buying it. Yes its about local control but for the specific purpose of mentally "gating" the area.
In the case of Vinings, and Mableton, the only two unincorporated areas that I have any experience with, the interest in incorporating has mainly been to get Cobb County to stop changing local zoning in ways the residents didn't agree with. Self-defense. Both areas are already well known ... heck, Vinings has been a real estate marketing brand well outside its own borders for years...

Old 02-26-2010, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,913 times
Norcross High School is in the City of Norcross.

As a Peachtree Corners Business Owner, what is my advantage to incorporation? You are going to be "City Light" no Police protection or police service other than the slow Gwinnett Police Department. Looking at proposed incorporation maps I feel that the "Forum" and Technology Park areas are going to be excessively taxed to promote the City of Peachtree Corners. Businesses want police protection if you can't offer it, then I want to be in the City of Norcross.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:52 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,180,606 times
Isn't one of the issues involved is that most of the areas is among the earliest part of the county that experienced the suburban sprawl? I am also looking at any stigma Norcross has but isn't a lot of that also due to unincorporated areas on the opposite end since I remember the postal district of 30071 goes out rather far to the South across I-85.

At least the area doesn't wind up looking like St. Louis County which in terms of cities resembles the Holy Roman Empire with tiny fiefdoms some the size of an apartment complex.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:36 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,677,823 times
Here is an update on Peachtree Corners cityhood:

Peachtree Corners group to seek incorporation vote *| ajc.com

For those who don't feel like reading, some key points:
- UGA feasibility study showed that a city would run a surplus, meaning they wont have to raise taxes to incorporate
- 2008 estimated population of 34,000
- Would provide three services: land-use planning and zoning services, code enforcement and trash collection. Gwinnett County would provide the rest.
- It would be introduced as local legislation, which means it would only need approval from the Gwinnett Delegation to the General Assembly, not the full legislature
- If passed, residents could vote next year

Here is the catch: the Gwinnett Board of Commissioners would have to approve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta