U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:46 PM

14,387 posts, read 23,061,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Here is an update on Peachtree Corners cityhood:

Peachtree Corners group to seek incorporation vote *| ajc.com

For those who don't feel like reading, some key points:
- UGA feasibility study showed that a city would run a surplus, meaning they wont have to raise taxes to incorporate
- 2008 estimated population of 34,000
- Would provide three services: land-use planning and zoning services, code enforcement and trash collection. Gwinnett County would provide the rest.
- It would be introduced as local legislation, which means it would only need approval from the Gwinnett Delegation to the General Assembly, not the full legislature
- If passed, residents could vote next year

Here is the catch: the Gwinnett Board of Commissioners would have to approve it.
Is there a map available to show the boundaries of this proposed city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 04:56 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,677,612 times
Apparently the UPCCA is setting the boundaries when it writes the charter. But this is what it considers the borders:

United Peachtree Corners Civic Association: Map of Peachtree Corners (http://www.upcca.com/2007/02/map-of-peachtree-corners_02.html - broken link)

Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Apparently the UPCCA is setting the boundaries when it writes the charter. But this is what it considers the borders:

United Peachtree Corners Civic Association: Map of Peachtree Corners (http://www.upcca.com/2007/02/map-of-peachtree-corners_02.html - broken link)
Thanks, a good map (I've seen before)...the funny thing is, Norcross High School may end up being in the City of Peachtree Corners.

Norcross High School, Peachtree Corners, GA.

I wonder if the official boundaries with the charter will be identical...?

Last edited by aries4118; 10-05-2010 at 07:51 PM..

Old 10-05-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Thanks, a good map (I've seen before)...the funny thing is, Norcross High School may end up being in the City of Peachtree Corners.

Norcross High School, Peachtree Corners, GA.

I wonder if the official boundaries with the charter will be identical...?
I am thinking so. The way they filled out that map, the purple goes right up to the border of Berkeley Lake, so the borders cant go any more eastward. On the south side, Norcross city limits start at Peachtree Industrial and meet Berkeley Lake on the east, so Peachtree Corners southern border has end at Peachtree Industrial. And on the west is Sandy Springs and Dunwoody, and to the north is the River. So they are pretty much hemmed in.

I guess another question is will the borders be smaller. I doubt that. They will probably try to grab as much as they can. From the map, it looks like they are going to take a small part of "unincorporated Duluth" around Bush Road. I am pretty sure that area has a Duluth address and is zoned for Duluth High.

As for Norcross High... interesting. Down the road, if Norcross gets too overcrowded, they could split the school up, build a new Norcross High where the old one was off Beaver Ruin, and rename the current one Peachtree Corners High.

Of course it all depends on if it passes. But since no tax increases are involved, I cant see a reason why it wouldnt pass.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I am thinking so. The way they filled out that map, the purple goes right up to the border of Berkeley Lake, so the borders cant go any more eastward. On the south side, Norcross city limits start at Peachtree Industrial and meet Berkeley Lake on the east, so Peachtree Corners southern border has end at Peachtree Industrial. And on the west is Sandy Springs and Dunwoody, and to the north is the River. So they are pretty much hemmed in.

I guess another question is will the borders be smaller. I doubt that. They will probably try to grab as much as they can. From the map, it looks like they are going to take a small part of "unincorporated Duluth" around Bush Road. I am pretty sure that area has a Duluth address and is zoned for Duluth High.

As for Norcross High... interesting. Down the road, if Norcross gets too overcrowded, they could split the school up, build a new Norcross High where the old one was off Beaver Ruin, and rename the current one Peachtree Corners High.

Of course it all depends on if it passes. But since no tax increases are involved, I cant see a reason why it wouldnt pass.

The Bush Road/unincorporated Duluth part is zoned form Duluth High. A small part of Peachtree Corners is zoned for the Duluth cluster.

Peachtree Corners, Georgia...a good idea, I think. It's just irking me that Norcross High will be wrongly-placed (unless your solution/scenario above is implemented)!

Now, we just need to incorporate the rest of the Metro Atlanta area...

Old 02-16-2011, 11:44 PM

Peachtree Corners cityhood update:

Lawmakers take up government remake, Peachtree Corners incorporation *| ajc.com

"The Gwinnett County (http://g.ajc.com/r/Cm/ - broken link) delegation in the General Assembly will consider reorganizing county government and allowing Peachtree Corners residents to vote next fall on whether to incorporate, creating the county's 16th city.

Voters would consider plans for a city that handled only planning and zoning, code enforcement and trash collection, leaving services like police and fire protection to the county.
A recent study by the Carl Vinson Institute of Government at the University of Georgia found an incorporated Peachtree Corners could generate enough revenue to pay for a few basic services and cover other costs like elections and administration.

Incorporation has been a long-time aim of some Peachtree Corners residents. However, members of the United Peachtree Corners Civic Association in 2005 voted overwhelmingly against incorporation."

Proposed boundaries:

Future city of Peachtree Corners?-peachtree_corners_city_limits_jan._2011-1.jpg

The larger sliver of Norcross that juts into Peachtree Corners is actually the land on which Norcross High School sits, so Norcross High will not be in the city of Peachtree Corners.

I was surprised at the boundaries though. They are taking a big chunk out of unincorprated Mechanicsville/Doraville and unincorprated Duluth, areas south of Peachtree Industrial that have never been considered part of the area.

Population: 34,274 (largest in Gwinnett)

Compared to Neighboring Suburbs by Per Capita Income:
Dunwoody - $84,363
Roswell - $80,394
Peachtree Corners - $79,663
Sandy Springs - $73,290

Old 02-16-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:

Lawmakers take up government remake, Peachtree Corners incorporation *| ajc.com

"The Gwinnett County (http://g.ajc.com/r/Cm/ - broken link) delegation in the General Assembly will consider reorganizing county government and allowing Peachtree Corners residents to vote next fall on whether to incorporate, creating the county's 16th city.

Voters would consider plans for a city that handled only planning and zoning, code enforcement and trash collection, leaving services like police and fire protection to the county.
A recent study by the Carl Vinson Institute of Government at the University of Georgia found an incorporated Peachtree Corners could generate enough revenue to pay for a few basic services and cover other costs like elections and administration.

Incorporation has been a long-time aim of some Peachtree Corners residents. However, members of the United Peachtree Corners Civic Association in 2005 voted overwhelmingly against incorporation."

Proposed boundaries:

Attachment 75886

The larger sliver of Norcross that juts into Peachtree Corners is actually the land on which Norcross High School sits, so Norcross High will not be in the city of Peachtree Corners.

I was surprised at the boundaries though. They are taking a big chunk out of unincorprated Mechanicsville/Doraville and unincorprated Duluth, areas south of Peachtree Industrial that have never been considered part of the area.

Dunwoody - $84,363
Roswell - $80,394
Sandy Springs - $73,290

Seems good.

I'm glad Norcross High will still be within the Norcross city limits.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:58 AM

8,862 posts, read 15,207,732 times
Quote:

Proposed boundaries:

Attachment 75886

Dunwoody - $84,363
Roswell - $80,394
Sandy Springs - $73,290
So it will be a different kind of city/town?
I don't really know what they do in Dunwoody.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:55 AM

Peachtree Corners incorporation clears another hurdle *| ajc.com

Old 10-20-2011, 07:19 AM

10/20: Should Peachtree Corners become a city? | Atlanta Forward
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta