U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:31 PM

1,454 posts, read 4,044,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansaichick View Post
If you want to be around clubs, bars, sporting events, etc, you want to live closer to intown Atlanta. Buckhead, Midtown, Highlands, etc. PTC is a really nice place but NOT the place for you (based on what you posted). PTC is more of a family environment and well, most of the "fun single city dwellers" live anywhere within the triangular region between I-75 North and I-85 North... starting from midtown and heading up towards the Perimeter Mall area.

Lower-crime areas: it's all relative to what you mean, what you do for a living, etc. The cost of living is very good in Atlanta so you can definitely rent/buy within the city limits in safe areas.... but it all depends on exactly what you want, how nice of a place, size, etc. For a general working class professional, it's very easy to buy intown and yet have money to go out and have fun.

I hope this all helps!
That does indeed help! I see that PTC wouldn't be for me as it's not close enough to the city.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Buckhead and Midtown. Assuming I were to get a job in that corridor, would rent be reasonable? I hear a lot about Buckhead having million dollar condos and million dollar homes. That makes it seem very unaffordable (If one were to have a 30k-40k salary right out of college). But then again, I hear it's very happening so that could be the case?

How about houses? I heard a lot about older areas that are getting a lot of tlc in the Atlanta area and are becoming more desirable again. Are these areas relatively affordable as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 07:50 AM

^ Well thanks for the advice, but I'm not planning on necessarily buying a house at this point in my life. I'm just planning on renting an apartment, or room, or something until I can get both feet on the ground, so to speak.

But I'll be sure to keep that in mind for one day when I do plan on buying a house.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:33 AM

225 posts, read 522,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
That does indeed help! I see that PTC wouldn't be for me as it's not close enough to the city.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Buckhead and Midtown. Assuming I were to get a job in that corridor, would rent be reasonable? I hear a lot about Buckhead having million dollar condos and million dollar homes. That makes it seem very unaffordable (If one were to have a 30k-40k salary right out of college). But then again, I hear it's very happening so that could be the case?

How about houses? I heard a lot about older areas that are getting a lot of tlc in the Atlanta area and are becoming more desirable again. Are these areas relatively affordable as well?

Glad to hear it helped. Rent is reasonable in some areas of Midtown and Buckhead but mortgages aren't. It also depends on what type of place you want to rent, etc. You can definitely rent something "older" on your own for $500-$700 if you look in the right places, but if you get a roommate and share a modern 2/2 setup, it's even better on your wallet.

I used to live in Buckhead. I used to rent a modern 2/2 setup, just down the street from Elton John's 7+ million dollar condo. (He had knocked down at least 6 of the units which all sell for a minimum 1 million each and converted it in to his own 2-story pad). And yes, my car loving husband LOVED hanging out in Buckhead because he always got to see eclectic cars that cost more than his yearly salary... even if we were just running to the grocery store. I could have bought a decent condo in the area but I enjoyed not having to keep up with home maintenance back then since that was during my single days.

Living within the Atlanta city limits is all dependent on your lifestyle, fringe benefits, what type of debt you have, etc. You can also afford to buy a very small, older condo that is on the outskirts of I-285 (stick to the north side) if you want and you will be less than half an hour away from everything. But I think you want to be in the middle of it all, like I did. Plus, there is a huge difference between the ITP v. OTP lifestyle and well, it's just a lot easier for ITP folks to pop in to midtown at the last minute to grab a bite to eat with someone, etc.

If you actually want to buy a house at the 30-40k price range, you will need to spend 30-60 minutes commuting to work and you will be far isolated from everything (depending on where you work and what hours you work).

The older areas that are getting a lot of TLC are still a bit pricey for a 30-40k salary, unless you happen to be well endowed or want to live in the least desirable area and willing to do a LOT of renovations :P

My suggestion for someone your age is to just live in town or within a mile or two of I-285 in Smyrna, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, etc, rent with a roommate, and save some money. The specific areas to live should be sorted out after you know where you will be working. Then, once you actually live in Atlanta for a year, you will kind of know exactly where you want to live/buy so that you can have a really good commute to work, etc. For example, many people work in the Perimeter Center and they choose to buy a house in North Atlanta while others choose to buy/rent a condo in midtown Atlanta since they have a reverse commute. Of course, there are others who choose to live in Smryna, Decatur, etc, too but the best part is that you have options.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:46 AM

^ I wish I could rep you again, but alas it says I'm not allowed to!

That really does give me a realistic viewpoint to start off of.

As far as that salary goes, I'm trying to be realistic as well. I don't think I can expect much more for a beginning salary right out of college, unless I get extremely lucky.

I also have a couple more questions that go off on a tangent:

Having a roommate would definitely ease up expenses a bit. I know this is a generic question and is definitely "ymmv", but how is meeting people in Atlanta? As far as at work, at the gym, etc? Are people reluctant to allow newcomers into their social group (like they are here in MN), or are they more welcoming? (Of course, this is an "in general" question)

Would having about $4,000 in the bank be a sufficient amount to get started (as long as I lived within my means and didn't try and act like a $30k millionaire? )

Does the weather impact every day life? I was on the Phoenix forum a lot, and I noticed so many people saying they couldn't stand the summer heat and whatnot, but I never saw that on this forum. Do you guys have different coping methods? Or do you guys have a breeze that rolls in through the summer months? Either way, I'm a heat lover, I'm just curious about it is all.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:52 PM

225 posts, read 522,646 times
Thanks for trying to rep me again. I appreciate it

Salary: It really depends on what type of job you want to have. What type of educational/professional background do you have? Also, the job market isn't so good right now in Atlanta (just like most of the world).

Meeting people in Atlanta is VERY easy because there are so many transplants all over the place. When I was there, I had friends in so many various social groups because once you're in one group, you start meeting other peeps, etc. Atlanta is the big city in the south, but we still have a lot of southern hospitality, so people are very friendly. If you join some of the sports leagues, work at a place with folks your age, join a church/synagogue/mosque or whatever, join meetups, etc, then you would have no excuse for NOT having friends :P As for gyms and such, it's more common to find apartments and condos with a gym and pool (than not).

4 grand is plenty, assuming you already have a car and reasonable lodging lined up, and you can secure a job within 3 months.

Weather: Jan-Mar are harsh for us but nothing like MN. It's VERY hot and humid from June-Sept but it's not the end of the world most days. If you are a heat lover and can stand the humidity, then you are fine.

Weather DOES impact everyday life:
  • sports leagues and strolls within Piedmont Park and other areas... in fact, some leagues are crazy enough to play in the middle of winter
  • ALTA (Atlanta Lawn and Tennis Association... the largest tennis organization that is specifically catered to a city... there seems to be more ALTA players than USTA players in Atlanta)
  • Shorts in November and December
  • The Appalachian mountains start at a point that's about an hour to hour and half north of Atlanta so folks like to hike up there
  • etc, etc

How do we cope with the heat and humidity? A lot of air conditioning. It's truly unheard for someone to NOT have A/C in their car. The evenings are generally cool most of the time but that's all relative to you. No breeze, sad to say.

If I had to choose one place to live in the South, it would Atlanta all the way and I don't say that simply because I'm a native. It's because there are so many options there. Of course, if I had the opportunity to live in Chicago, NYC, Boston, Frisco, etc, then I'm totally up for that, too.

Saying all this, I must state, "Gosh, I REALLY miss Atlanta."

Old 02-01-2010, 02:56 PM

3,194 posts, read 4,804,710 times
I think you'll like Atlanta, but don't let anyone fool you when it comes to crime. It's a dangerous metro. Major hub and distribution point for drug runners coming up I-75 from Florida. Carjackings and home invasions are daily events, and not just in the city. I lived in Buckhead, which is the nice part of Atlanta, and was literally about 300 yards away from a fatal drive by shooting on Roswell Rd. while sitting in my 4th floor apartment off of Piedmont. That said, I lived in the metro area for 20 years and was never the victim of crime personally, but had many friends and family that were.

Atlanta's a fun, exciting city that has tons to offer someone looking for a change. Just don't have any misconceptions about the crime, especially coming from a place like Minnesota, which is much safer, even in the Twin Cities area. I live in a location similar to yours in Duluth now, and it's nice not having to deal with all that mess, even though you are trading that for crap weather 6 months a year. I'm telling you all this because I saw you listed low crime as one of your wants. If it's low crime you seek, Atlanta as a whole is not the area for you.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:09 PM

Thanks for yet another detailed response. It all really is very much appreciated though I may not show my gratitude enough.

For my work background, I've been working since I was 16. I have been with the same job now for almost three years. Through this time, I've been going to school and will graduate with a bachelors degree in business management. I do realize, though, that the job market is bad around the world. It really is an unfortunate time for me to be graduating, but I'm being positive, and things are looking up.

I'm glad to hear that meeting people in Atlanta is very easy. I'd love to meet people from all over. That's what makes life and meeting people so exciting - all the different backgrounds. As far as working with people my age, I hope I will. I work mostly with people twice my age and go to school with people twice my age. It would be much more refreshing to meet more people in my age range at work than having to struggle to meet people. Also it's good to hear that most apartments would have gyms. I wouldn't mind spending a bit more to offset that price that I'd spend going to a gym and driving to it. Also, I'm assuming these places also offer a parking spot. That would be great. I'd like to take advantage of public transit as much as I could (if it were possible with my work situation), so I'd like to leave my car in a safe spot as much as I could.

As referred to in the previous paragraph, I do have a car. Indeed, it's a reliable car. *knock on wood* It has served me well so far, and I believe if my car can last through the crazy Minnesota winters (made even more crazy by Lake Superior and the hills in my city of Duluth) it can last through the weather of the south. And it's very reassuring to hear that $4k will be plenty. It's a low estimate, and I should have more by the time I do actually move. Before moving anywhere (if it does end up being Atlanta) I'm definitely going to research apartments and find where I'd live in closest proximity to where I'd be working.

I've never experienced prolonged periods of heat and humidity before. Maybe it's something that would wear me down. But let me tell you this - If one hates cold as much as I do, a Minnesota winter is absolute torture. I was born and raised in it, and I can't imagine going through another winter after this one in it. Also, let me also say that I've grown up without air conditioning. We've hit some days that were in the 90's, and I've never complained. I'd be outside in them enjoying myself. The only problem is - the house heats up and it's tough to sleep in the night. Then after those heat waves come the cold snaps which cool things down into the low to mid 60s in the summer, and those aren't fun either. There's no such thing as really nice weather here in Duluth.

My question about weather impacting everyday life, though, was meant in a negative way. Like, does it impact life for the worse, or for the better? People in the Phoenix forum make summer out to be like hell on earth if there is one. Do the Atlanta summers compare to the Phoenix summers, or is it like apples and oranges? I'm not worried about the winter temperatures, as I've seen much worse. The only thing I'd worry about are the ice storms and hills. There's nothing a city can do about that except wait it out, or throw salt everywhere. :/

I figure though, if I live in an apartment anywhere, I'll have air conditioning. I couldn't see myself blasting it up though. My ideal summer temperature inside the house is at around 75-78 degrees. Once it gets more than that, it's uncomfortable for sleeping.

I've got a question about allergies. Are they really as bad as I hear over there? I have allergies in the spring time, and they only last for about a couple weeks. I've never taken anything for it, so I just wait it out. I'm sure that topic is very "ymmv", meaning, they could be worse in Atlanta, or they could stay the same, or they could be better, correct?

Once I'm nearing graduation, I'm going to start sending my resume to places to see where I could get a better job. After all the information I've gotten, I'm just starting to see Atlanta as such a better option for someone as myself, and I really hope that I could get a job there. It seems much more exciting and vibrant.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
I think you'll like Atlanta, but don't let anyone fool you when it comes to crime. It's a dangerous metro. Major hub and distribution point for drug runners coming up I-75 from Florida. Carjackings and home invasions are daily events, and not just in the city. I lived in Buckhead, which is the nice part of Atlanta, and was literally about 300 yards away from a fatal drive by shooting on Roswell Rd. while sitting in my 4th floor apartment off of Piedmont. That said, I lived in the metro area for 20 years and was never the victim of crime personally, but had many friends and family that were.

Atlanta's a fun, exciting city that has tons to offer someone looking for a change. Just don't have any misconceptions about the crime, especially coming from a place like Minnesota, which is much safer, even in the Twin Cities area. I live in a location similar to yours in Duluth now, and it's nice not having to deal with all that mess, even though you are trading that for crap weather 6 months a year. I'm telling you all this because I saw you listed low crime as one of your wants. If it's low crime you seek, Atlanta as a whole is not the area for you.
I'm not doubting the fact that there's crime there. From what I've heard though, it's getting better. Phoenix is a major point for drugs as well coming from the Mexican border. But the way I see it is - if you're not involved with it and stay away from it, trouble won't come to you. It has served me well so far on any of my travels.

But I'll definitely keep what you said in mind and make sure I choose the right area for me in regards to crime (and search for a good area). Thank you for your input!

Old 02-01-2010, 03:26 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,988,656 times
Atlanta is in the northern third of the state of Georgia and it's at a relatively high altitude (900 to 1000 feet), so the typical summer weather here isn't as hot or as humid as summer weather in the southern parts of the state.

For me, being a Twin Cities native, Georgia summers are slightly warmer and a little more humid, but the hard part is the fact that summer goes on for ever and ever and ever... It isn't that bad, really.

I would say that Atlanta summers are like southern MN summers, but maybe a month longer on either end, and without the dry periods like you would get up there in the Twin Cities or in SW MN in August. The potential for rain is always here. Always.

Weather doesn't seem to impact everyday life here unless it involves ice. Or rumors of ice. Or rumors of snow. Or rumors about snow anywhere else in the south which might maybe come close to northern Georgia if the weather shifts.

It's funny how so much energy is expended on what you and I would generally consider trivial winter weather.

That said, though, the lack of snow removal equipment here (mostly a lack of salt or other types of snow melting agent) means that even a small amount of ice can cause major havoc, and the only ice storm I've been a part of here in the Atlanta metro (a very minor one in the fall of 2004) was worse than anything I had encountered in 40 years in the Twin Cities. I couldn't even walk on my driveway, our cars were coated, and there were sizable branches down all over the place. So even tho the reactions are amusing, there *is* some legitimate basis for caution.

There was also a cold snap here at the beginning of January where the temps stayed below freezing long enough to cause the ground to significantly cool, and that was followed buy a rain/snow shower that created icy roads. While it didn't directly impact me, I did get to experience an impassable road on my way to work that first morning. After I'd stopped, I couldn't go forward or even turn around in place, so I was forced to back down the hill to a driveway and turn around. Imagine glare ice, hilly roads, and no salt. Not a good thing. While it seems like a joke, you have to remember that the snow and ice removal infrastructure just doesn't exist down here, so small things actually can have a large impact on a local area. Driving for those few days was admittedly fun for me, but also a little scary...

Allergies may or may not be worse here. In the springtime there is a LOT of pine pollen around (the Atlanta metro is largely built in the middle of a pine forest), but pine pollen is a large-grained pollen and doesn't really cause allergies in many people.

The thing which *can* be an issue is smog during the summer months.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 02-01-2010 at 03:35 PM..

Old 02-01-2010, 04:00 PM

Well then, the summers don't seem too bad, from what you say. Like I believe I've said before, I'm a heat lover, so it's all good either way.

The fear of a little bit of snow (compared to what we get up here) certainly is laughable, but ice is a whole 'nother story. Ice is scary stuff. It's hard to go about your daily life. Sometimes, it's even hard to just walk outside your house because you'll be slipping and sliding all over the place.

I hear that ice happens once or twice a winter there. If so, why doesn't the state set aside more money for salt and ice removal. I'd assume the ice shuts the city down completely, as people don't want to and can't travel through that...

I'm not so much scared about my driving as I am for someone else's driving. There's too many morons out on the roads and too many of them could slam into me. I would not be a happy camper.

I'll definitely have to check out Atlanta before I would make a move there. I'm mostly allergic to dandelions. Either that or something else in the air that comes up when dandelions do. but I've deduced that it is, indeed, dandelions! We get tons of them up here in the late spring, and it's just horrible for me...

What's the reason for lots of smog in the summer? Is it because of the way the wind does (or doesn't) blow, where things stay stagnant for a while? Or...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or