U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:18 PM

11,319 posts, read 23,017,609 times

Advertisements

No, summers aren't too bad.

I've only seen two real instances of widespread ice down here in five years, at least in the Atlanta metro. One in 2004, and one this year.

It'll happen more frequently further north in the hills ... a friend of mine just took some really neat pics of ice-covered trees in his front yard in Helen, for example, which is a couple hours north of here.

The state doesn't get involved with a lot of things down here, and it seems that ice removal agent has a limited storage life or something, meaning it just isn't worth it to store the stuff in any quantity for a once-in-a-few-years event. The City of Atlanta apparently has four (4) sand trucks. My own area (Cobb County) has a lot more (they had 17 of them going a few weeks ago from what I read).

Don't be scared of Atlanta drivers ... they're all sane and law abiding, and most of them follow all traffic laws. They use turn signals and everything...**

Please come down here. It isn't heaven on earth by any means, and the comments about higher crime here are true (I feel safe in my suburban home here, sure, but I also have and alarm system, something I never felt to be necessary in the Twin Cities).

The smog in Atlanta is mostly due to lots of traffic, high humidity, and stagnant air, I think. It's a haze. It isn't horrible for me, but if had asthma or something it might have an impact. Sites like this can help:

Atlanta Smog Forecast

** Note: I'm lying. Most Atlanta drivers are okay, and it isn't THAT much different than the Twin Cities, but Atlanta drivers on the freeways can be scary for various reasons. I think some folks drive faster down here ... speeding on the metro freeways doesn't seem to be enforced as closely as up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 06:58 PM

171 posts, read 537,082 times
After living in Boston for a couple years the winters here are a cakewalk, but the DOT is completely unprepared for any snow or ice accumulations. People also freak out about an inch or two of snow. Sometimes when it does snow, there will only be a couple people at work because everyone has called in because of the snow. I always laugh at that. Sort of when it rains back home in San diego because it only happens a couple times a year.

The summers bug me because of the humidity, but every year it gets a little easier. Winter and spring can be very dry, but the humidity comes like a tidal wave. I remember last May was awful. If you listen to Kirk Mellish's forecast during the summer months you can almost bet he will say "Today will be hazy, hot and humid with a chance of thunderstorms" Thats just the climate.

Fall is my favorite even though the foliage isn't as intense as it is in New England. The weather is great, though. I love Inman Park during autumn.
If you don't like cookie cutter subdivisions as you said, suburban Atlanta is pretty much ruled out then. Every neighborhood looks the same after a while. Inside the perimeter there are some real gems of neighborhoods. The east side is my favorite with neighborhoods such as Inman Park, The Old 4th Ward, Little 5 Points, Poncey Highlands, Virginia Highlands, Candler Park.

You asked about the air quality also....Spring is the only time it bothers me. I have never seen pollen as intense as it is here in Atlanta. If you have problems with hay fever or other allergies you will need meds. My black car often turns green and you will see the pollen cover the ground. It usually lasts a few weeks or a month and then it subsides, but it really is astonishing.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:23 PM

1,454 posts, read 4,050,829 times
@rcsteiner: I guess the smog thing makes sense. But regardless, the more and more I hear about the positives of Atlanta, I'm starting to like it more and more!

@aacole: I can understand that they don't prepare themselves for snowfall and ice for those exact reasons. It just doesn't happen that often, so it seems to be not worth it.

I'm sure humidity can get on peoples' nerves especially if it's persistent. But then again, think of any place where a certain weather doesn't get on someone's nerves, ya know. Phoenix has the intense sunshine and heat in the summer, the PNW has the abundant rain and overcast days much of the year, the upper Midwest has the brutally cold winters, etc etc. But from what I gather, whatever weather Atlanta has most of the year doesn't bother people all too much. To me, that's an indication that it has good weather.

I can live without seeing intense fall foliage. It's just a precursor to all the leaves falling down. Not really my favorite time of the year here haha.

And as far as that pollen goes, that's nuts! I didn't know pollen could get that bad, haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or