Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 03:28 PM

245 posts, read 652,463 times

Advertisements

anyone know of someone who has some power there to correct a major screw-up? I watch anything that has to do with money religiously, and I've noticed that the Fulton County Assessor's website has kept showing my 2009 property tax as unpaid. I've called the office several times to inquire why, since it's never happened in the past, and all I get is 'oh, it takes a long to go thru all these payments, don't worry about it, it'll show up eventually.'

Well, now a notice that Fulton County is going to file a tax lien on my house has shown up in the mail. That's about as serious as it gets in today's credit climate. From what I've read on various consumer sites, one bad thing goes on your credit report now & creditors start shutting down accounts pretty quickly. I'm wondering if I should pay again with the fees & penalties and then try to get a refund.

I have confirmation from my bank (Chase) that they sent payment electronically on November 30th, 2009 for the full amount due. Fulton County most definitely got my money. The question is what they did with it, and who has the authority to track it. I already figure I'm going to have to drive down for this one...

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 08:03 PM

238 posts, read 555,498 times
I think you need to drive down there double-ASAP with all your documentation in hand and not leave till you get a written statement confirming your payment, signed by someone with authority.

This is why we always send all our government-related payments by certified mail. Income taxes, property, even car registrations. Call me paranoid but there's a reason why Pink Floyd used the words "Mother can I trust the government?"

I feel bad for you. Hope you get it sorted out and good luck. There's not much more advice I can think of but maybe someone else will chime in. But you need to take this VERY seriously, and I can see you are.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:26 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
I would also get the proof and take it down to the tax assesors office and make them fix it immediately and give you proof that they have taken the lien off.

Check to see if your bank sent an electronic check via a bill pay system from your escrow account if you paid it through escrow, if you used online banking yourself then they (the bank) will have a hard copy proving payment and can give that to you to take. Maybe the bank sent it in with the wrong # or something for your home, that would be the only reason why I can think of why they would not post it to your tax records. We went through some things with Fulton County tax people and most of them are inept and lazy and won't do anything by phone. We had to go down there twice to fix our situation but it was handled rather quickly once we made a fuss in person.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:05 AM

finally resolved! It turns out I wasn't the only one. Apparently they had this problem with a lot of people who paid via Chase online ePay. Chase had the wrong billerID and it was going to the wrong department within Fulton County.

Some woman named Kevies in the tax assessor's office was very helpful. She got my letter and proof of payment on Feb. 7th, called me that day, and followed thru until the end. Just called me this morning to confirm everything was fixed.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:14 AM

126 posts, read 317,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatl View Post
finally resolved! It turns out I wasn't the only one. Apparently they had this problem with a lot of people who paid via Chase online ePay. Chase had the wrong billerID and it was going to the wrong department within Fulton County.

Some woman named Kevies in the tax assessor's office was very helpful. She got my letter and proof of payment on Feb. 7th, called me that day, and followed thru until the end. Just called me this morning to confirm everything was fixed.
Good to hear! I hate the feeling that we have no power when it comes to stuff like this. One little screw up from someone who didn't do their job correctly and you have to bear the consequences.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:47 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,560 times
This is why escrow accounts are a Bad Idea. But these days it is impossible to get a mortgage without one. The bank gets to keep your money, pocket the interest, and when they screw up making the payment it's YOUR fault, and you are the one that shoulders the consequences (tax lien) and have to take the time to fix things.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
This is why escrow accounts are a Bad Idea. But these days it is impossible to get a mortgage without one. The bank gets to keep your money, pocket the interest, and when they screw up making the payment it's YOUR fault, and you are the one that shoulders the consequences (tax lien) and have to take the time to fix things.

I didn't have an escrow account since I don't have a mortgage, but in general I agree with you. I used to watch like a hawk when the bank did it, and one time I had to pay my taxes myself and get a refund from CitiMortgage when it became clear they weren't going to pay it in time.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:05 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,560 times
My apologies. I misinterpreted. I assumed it was an escrow account when you mentioned:
Quote:
I have confirmation from my bank (Chase) that they sent payment electronically
But now I realize that could have been any sort of electronic payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta