Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 08:52 PM

200 posts, read 814,527 times

Advertisements

Would you rather live in Atlanta or Boston if you were young and single?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:02 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,291 times
If I were a young professional and single - Atlanta.

If I were a college student - Boston.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:03 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,403,257 times
I lived in Boston for about five years and have been living in Atlanta for the last four. They both are great cities. It really comes down to which one matches your personality. I am originally from the Bay Area, so I had a tougher time adjusting to Boston. The winters are rough up there. In California the temp could be 75 with a wind chill of 74. In Boston it could be 15 degrees with a wind chill of -5. Have you ever had your face so cold it felt crunchy? You will if you move to Boston. I have a whole new appreciation of what wind chill means!

Both cities have a young vibrant scene. Both have great restaurants and bars. In Boston there are tons of Irish pubs. You can have a lobster lunch for around $10. More of a European crowd up in Boston. Oh, and you have to hate the Yankees...that's the rule! I mean really hate the Yankees, it's a matter of survival.

People are definately more laid back down here.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:59 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Boston, hands down. Although, I am biased since I grew up in Providence. But for the culture, the urban lifestyle, the things to do, and the young scene, I find that Boston just has so much more to offer than Atlanta does or will have to offer for many many years. I still consider much of Atlanta as a large "suburb". I mean, you can't live in an urban area and pay < $5 per hour for parking in a parking garage.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:43 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,403,257 times
I agree with the parking. When I lived in downtown Boston, my apartments did not come with parking. I payed $300 a month for a parking spot. Not even a reserved parking spot, just access to the parking garage.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 AM

113 posts, read 311,364 times
If money is not an object and you have money to burn, Boston without question. Lots more to do, lots more culture, ethnic neighborhoods, walkable communities, the ocean, passionate sports fans. I grew up in Boston and now live in Atlanta. Unfortunately, with a highly livable city comes a price. Unless you make 6 figures plus, you're probably going to need to shack up with roommates to survive. Housing prices and the cost of everything else there are insane. I don't know how young people survive living up there unless they have great jobs. And it's an insanely competitive job market. Prices are much lower in Atlanta and your money goes much further. The money I make in Atlanta probably wouldn't buy me a log cabin in Boston.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:30 AM

183 posts, read 230,845 times
Atlanta for Young professionals Boston is a great city But everything shuts down way too early

Old 10-28-2009, 01:17 PM

997 posts, read 4,645,488 times
I grew up in boston and lived there for 35 years before moving South. Unfortunately I don't know the Atlanta singles scene since we moved to Alpharetta w/ four children and a dog.

Boston is great for young singles. Restuarants, bars, clubs etc. Plenty of colleges. Very good companies there. It's on the water. It's a very walkable city. You can walk from the North End to Back Bay. Done it many times. There is a city in between. Downtown Crossing and the Financial District. Public Transportation goes to all ends of suburbia. They have the commuter rail plus the subway which is the Green, Blue, Orange and Red lines. You also have to like Pro Sports. College Sports just aren't like they are down South. Everything is all accessible and more centralized which I like.

It is expensive. I didn't realize how expensive it was until I moved here. I just knew housing was. Parking is very expensive. I remember driving around in circles trying to find a space so I wouldn't have to spend money in a garage or lot. Public Transportation is more expensive. Museum admission. Tolls on the Pike. Everything is just more. I remember when we moved here saying "wow" you don't have to pay for that or "really" that all. It's also a much faster pace up there. You also have to get the accent down. They don't pronounce their "r's". It's caaaaah, paaaaak, yaaaaad and any word ending in "er" is obsolete. It is replaced by "a" as in hamma, ladda, centa etc.

I also forgot it's cold, too. You will need a winter wool coat, gloves, scarf, hat and you will wear more closed toe shoes as opposed to open toe ones. Boots and a shovel are a must.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:47 PM

152 posts, read 525,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I lived in Boston for about five years and have been living in Atlanta for the last four. They both are great cities. It really comes down to which one matches your personality. I am originally from the Bay Area, so I had a tougher time adjusting to Boston. The winters are rough up there. In California the temp could be 75 with a wind chill of 74. In Boston it could be 15 degrees with a wind chill of -5. Have you ever had your face so cold it felt crunchy? You will if you move to Boston. I have a whole new appreciation of what wind chill means!

Both cities have a young vibrant scene. Both have great restaurants and bars. In Boston there are tons of Irish pubs. You can have a lobster lunch for around $10. More of a European crowd up in Boston. Oh, and you have to hate the Yankees...that's the rule! I mean really hate the Yankees, it's a matter of survival.

People are definately more laid back down here.
We hate Yankees down here too....Oh wait...you're talking about the baseball team Just kidding!

Old 10-28-2009, 08:58 PM

657 posts, read 1,505,125 times
By all means, Boston.

1) The ocean
2) The architecture
3) The great Irish and Italian neighborhoods with their pubs and restaurants
4) Walkability
5) Less crime
6) Did I say the ocean?

Boston is a cozy city. Even on a cold, snowy night with the wind blowing off the water, you curl up in your apartment with a hot cup of chowder after a night out in a neighborhood bar. Boston just oozes charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta