U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:19 PM

4,465 posts, read 4,635,844 times

Advertisements

I knew this was going to happen that why I said
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Your not going to find a black Private All Boys Schools at least not one that was intended to be such, but became that way due to the pattern of attendance. With saying that you might be looking for a majority African-American Private All Boys School, is that what you mean? You stated your reasons and they appear to be cultural that you want your son to be around positive black male role models so you're looking for a large population of progressing African-Americans not a absence of diversity. You got to make that clear because people will take your post out of context if you word it wrong!
Native American culture is not mainstream American culture how ever most Americans are not native American. White American culture constitutes the general cultural mainstream causing anything other to be seen as deviant, in either a positive or negative manner. Whites are most commonly unaware of the manner in which their culture has always been dominant in the US, as they do not identify as members of a specific racial group but rather incorrectly perceive their views and culture as "raceless," when in fact it is ethno-national (ethnic / cultural) specific with a racial base component. Blacks are more racially conscious due to Blacks are minorities like Asians and etc. Why are there still black churches and white churches? Because there a cultural difference not because people are self-segregating they’re not going to there churches with the motivation of getting away from people of different backgrounds that the last thing on there minds. Now Blacks are conscious that the churches they’re going to are majority African American, whites are not conscious that the churches they’re going to are majority white nor do they call them white churches but they are. Mean while because of that churches that are majority white would be seen as general culturally mainstream and causing black churches to be seen as deviant and segregating. How does this relate to the thread she is looking for strong black male role models for her son something whites don’t have to be conscious of doing. But like I said people will take her post out of context as if she is trying to segregate, and it’s sad that people are using load words like segregate! If her motivation was to get away from diversity because of a dislike of diversity that segregating. There was a thread about an all white basketball league, while most of the country is already white, there isn’t a cultural difference in playing basketball and the promoters even stated their motivation was a dislike of diversity. Examine the difference. Martin wanted people of different backgrounds to come together and get along not ethnocide, his church is still majority black I’m mean seriously. In speaking of diversity some people want socially don’t ask don’t tell about multiculturalism WTF? diversity don’t exist unless we acknowledge it, people can’t bring up there background now that’s stepping back.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:23 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,766,952 times
http://bestsmileys.com/signs11/3.gif (broken link)

You can discuss the social issues of self-segregation in another thread (as though it's never been done before in here ), but read the first post folks and keep this on topic "or else".

Thank you

Old 02-02-2010, 12:16 PM

9 posts, read 31,497 times
Conclusion: We have chosen Riverside Military Academy. Although its not all black, it does however offer strong male role models in all races that seem to be able to have a positive influence in his life.

Thanks to the people that actually answered the question and thanks to the people with the interesting viewpoints to my question! This was indeed interesting! Love you guys!

Old 02-03-2010, 03:57 AM

3,528 posts, read 4,390,372 times
Great choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkanatural View Post
Conclusion: We have chosen Riverside Military Academy. Although its not all black, it does however offer strong male role models in all races that seem to be able to have a positive influence in his life.

Thanks to the people that actually answered the question and thanks to the people with the interesting viewpoints to my question! This was indeed interesting! Love you guys!

Old 03-13-2010, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,491 times
Miller's Prep

Miller's prep is primarily black and it's all male. It's in Lithonia. Really good school.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:09 PM

42 posts, read 189,707 times
My son attended an all African American Boys school when he was very young.. It was called Miller Prep for Boys... I believe that is still around... I selected the school because of it's small classroom size...and that my son would be in a classroom with only males... not because it happened to be African American.... The reality is that Metro Atlanta is a cultural diverse area, that is still very seperate when it comes to races.... African Americans make up the majority of East Dekalb and South West Dekalb... I reside in Decatur and my son attends SWD High School... There are other ways to ensure that your son is surrounded by progressive, educated blacks that are looking to achieve in life... The one thing that I dislike about the area that I live in, is the lack of diversity... I grew up in PA in a community that was very diverse...

Old 03-14-2010, 11:13 PM

42 posts, read 189,707 times
...and before I forget... I simply think that you should want your son to be surrounded by progressive educated positive people of all races...

Old 05-18-2010, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 8,623 times
I understand that the question may seem biased, but we have to be clear. In our country, statistically black young men are disproportionately represented in prisons and have difficulty assimilating at times. This poster simply wants her young son to have the best opportunity to have a productive life and often this comes from seeing someone of their own nationality and skin tone in the position one wishes or onesself. It's not personal nor bigotted.....it's reality.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 8,623 times
Oops!! I see you've chosen a school. My suggestion to you is Hopewell Christian Academy in Norcross. It's an awesome school k-12 that is very interested in seeing all children succeed. There are no racial biases and anyone would feel comfortable there. The headmaster is the pastor and he is distinctly qualified because of his love for education and desire to see all children succeed. He's not hands-off....but very involved in the success of every student. They focus very much on Afrocentric leaders, but also leaders of every color and creed. My children are not there only because we live 75 miles from the school. We are members of the affiliated church though. I may be biased, but I speak from my personal experience. Hopewell Christian is an awesome choice for anyone interested.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:38 AM

97 posts, read 209,791 times
For anyone looking in the future, theres is Fulton Leadership Academy. http://www.fultonleadershipacademy.org/index.htm (broken link)

New Charter school in South Fulton. 6th - 12 grade. I think they have a math/science/engineering focus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or