U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:04 PM

538 posts, read 793,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
The easiest way to gauge if something is bigoted is turning the tables. How much "support" would this get here?

"I am looking to enroll my son in a school thats primarily all white males. He is age 14 and in the 9th grade. I would love for him to be around strong white male role model teachers and teenagers his age that are really trying to succeed."
You would get no support and called a "racist".....the thread would be pulled....get used to the double standard.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdcd1 View Post
I understand that the question may seem biased, but we have to be clear. In our country, statistically black young men are disproportionately represented in prisons and have difficulty assimilating at times. This poster simply wants her young son to have the best opportunity to have a productive life and often this comes from seeing someone of their own nationality and skin tone in the position one wishes or onesself. It's not personal nor bigotted.....it's reality.
So if I want my son to play football for the University of Georgia its OK for me to openly espouse the school to recruit more white football players so my son can "see someone of his own skin tone in that position"..........or to root for teams that have the most European American players that look like my son.....

Old 08-03-2011, 07:50 PM

88 posts, read 178,998 times
The OP is looking for the Black Panthers academy for youth. it is a wonderful program that will only involve black "leaders and role models" the students will all be black as well as the faculty and staff. That way she will be sure that during the most formidable years of her sons education he will only be around people who are keeping it real. She should retitle the thread "What school should I send my son to so he becomes a racist like I am?

Last edited by pacnwbound; 08-03-2011 at 08:13 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 08:10 PM

864 posts, read 919,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
So if I want my son to play football for the University of Georgia its OK for me to openly espouse the school to recruit more white football players so my son can "see someone of his own skin tone in that position"..........or to root for teams that have the most European American players that look like my son.....
I don't see anything wrong with espousing that honestly. If you feel your kid would overcome any doubt in his mind in preforming the sport because he hardly sees whites doing it then I don't see the issue. White rappers do it all the time. As for rooting for teams because they are white, well that is racist.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
I don't see anything wrong with espousing that honestly. If you feel your kid would overcome any doubt in his mind in preforming the sport because he hardly sees whites doing it then I don't see the issue. White rappers do it all the time. As for rooting for teams because they are white, well that is racist.
But, let me guess, black folks rooting for black teams or black players is not racist. For instance, when the Philadelphia Eagles come to play the Falcons the Georgia Dome will be filled with "Falcon fans" wearing their #7 jerseys and cheering for an opposing team because it happens to have a black Quarterback....but they're not "racist".....LMAO at the double standard.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:11 PM

864 posts, read 919,965 times
Quote:
But, let me guess, black folks rooting for black teams or black players is not racist. For instance, when the Philadelphia Eagles come to play the Falcons the Georgia Dome will be filled with "Falcon fans" wearing their #7 jerseys and cheering for an opposing team because it happens to have a black Quarterback....but they're not "racist".....LMAO at the double standard.
How do you they are cheering because the quaterback is black? If he is then that is rather racist, but I am not sure how you would know that.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:58 AM

449 posts, read 1,016,053 times
Quote:
You would get no support and called a "racist".....the thread would be pulled....get used to the double standard.
You're a piece of work

Old 08-04-2011, 05:54 AM

31,760 posts, read 29,494,598 times
So what was the purpose in resurrecting this year-old thread again?

Old 08-04-2011, 06:18 AM

714 posts, read 672,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdcd1 View Post
I understand that the question may seem biased, but we have to be clear. In our country, statistically black young men are disproportionately represented in prisons and have difficulty assimilating at times. This poster simply wants her young son to have the best opportunity to have a productive life and often this comes from seeing someone of their own nationality and skin tone in the position one wishes or onesself. It's not personal nor bigotted.....it's reality.
If black men are having difficulty assimilating, then it seems the worst route for a black child would be isolation within only the AA culture. Being exposed to other races and cultures at an early age would enhance their ability to get along with other people, from all walks of life as they become adults.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:30 AM

31,760 posts, read 29,494,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
If black men are having difficulty assimilating, then it seems the worst route for a black child would be isolation within only the AA culture. Being exposed to other races and cultures at an early age would enhance their ability to get along with other people, from all walks of life as they become adults.
It's not about isolation. It's about young Black men, particularly disadvantaged ones, having more role models to look up to that they can relate to culturally and socially from an early age that will help foster a positive self-image. That will in turn help them become more socially aware and interact socially with others better. There's a wealth of literature that exists on the subject. This will also help to counter the "acting White" phenomenon often associated with Black kids who excel academically, which, ironically, is a by-product of desegregated schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or