Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:32 AM

9 posts, read 34,430 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the responses. I was not meaning to be racist in anyway. This post is mainly a search to help a 14 year old black male boy thrive in the south where racism from whites and blacks still strong exist.
Until, you face racism you really don't know what it is or really how to recognize it... for the person who posted that I was being racist.

Peace and Harmony

Old 01-31-2010, 12:08 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkanatural View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I was not meaning to be racist in anyway. This post is mainly a search to help a 14 year old black male boy thrive in the south where racism from whites and blacks still strong exist.
Until, you face racism you really don't know what it is or really how to recognize it... for the person who posted that I was being racist.

Peace and Harmony

Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy

Home

Old 01-31-2010, 12:24 PM

194 posts, read 618,744 times
Quote:

Peace and Harmony
You don't have to explain yourself.

If people can't understand why Black people might seek out environments that affirm our existence instead of submitting ourselves to "minority" (read: alien) status then they are either clueless or deliberately obtuse and probably can't understand or accept any offered explanation.

Save your fingertips.

--

And, for the record, I believe that white people (or whoever) should absolutely be able to choose who they socialize with - and have posted such ideas on this board, previously.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:03 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
Sounds nice in theory but what you could be doing is unleashing a Pandora's box of segregation minded people who would love to resegregate ALL institutions in this country at the first opportunity, not just black schools, be they private businesses like Cox Enterprises or public institutions like our county governments.

Sometimes I think a lot of black folks these days tend to spout romanticism about keeping it "black" without really giving any deep thought as to the broader consequences of their choices...no matter how well-meaning such sentiments are. I'm saying this with all due respect of course so don't take this as an attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by son-house View Post
You don't have to explain yourself.

If people can't understand why Black people might seek out environments that affirm our existence instead of submitting ourselves to "minority" (read: alien) status then they are either clueless or deliberately obtuse and probably can't understand or accept any offered explanation.

Save your fingertips.

--

And, for the record, I believe that white people (or whoever) should absolutely be able to choose who they socialize with - and have posted such ideas on this board, previously.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:09 PM

A strong intact black family with a father in the household can just as easily do for you what you are asking for in a school. Topics such as these only reaffirm the notion that black people can be just as racist as white folks.

You can try to argue that there is some sort of exception should be made for black people, but to do that would be to say for some that maybe it was okay that segregation had existed. Just my humble opinion of course.

Quote:

Peace and Harmony

Old 01-31-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Sounds nice in theory but what you could be doing is unleashing a Pandora's box of segregation minded people who would love to resegregate ALL institutions in this country at the first opportunity, not just black schools, be they private businesses like Cox Enterprises or public institutions like our county governments.

Sometimes I think a lot of black folks these days tend to spout romanticism about keeping it "black" without really giving any deep thought as to the broader consequences of their choices...no matter how well-meaning such sentiments are. I'm saying this with all due respect of course so don't take this as an attack.

A very smart and sorely needed post. You said it perfectly.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
A strong intact black family with a father in the household can just as easily do for you what you are asking for in a school. Topics such as these only reaffirm the notion that black people can be just as racist as white folks.

You can try to argue that there is some sort of exception should be made for black people, but to do that would be to say for some that maybe it was okay that segregation had existed. Just my humble opinion of course.

Well said again.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:06 PM

194 posts, read 618,744 times
Quote:

Yours is a sound point of view (I respect a good counter argument). I hear you 100% (and I don't take your words as an attack )

I respectfully counter with this:

There are currently segments of the population who do not wish to be legislated into socializing with the "other". We should not attempt to force them to do so, and they should not attempt to force their self-segregation on others.

Sure, that seems fairly simple, and maybe even utopian, but such people exist and have a right to exist.

I certainly see your point that Black folks 'keeping it Black' (to borrow your phrase) could be construed as "self-segregation" and could potentially be used as a justification for overt re-segregation of the commonwealth (there still is de facto segregation of same), but Black folks can't (and shouldn't) stick to the cautious road merely out of nervousness for how others might interpret it.

I certainly think that mixed communities (ethnic, economic, environmental, ideological, etc.) are healthy goals. But, I believe that as long as Black folks are consistently on the receiving end of most negative statistics (and syndromes) in the country, and as long as some 'others' find it acceptable to visit their hostility on us (via legal, environmental, geographic and social bullying), it's probably best that we focus on ourselves.

One.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:15 PM

479 posts, read 703,125 times

The easiest way to gauge if something is bigoted is turning the tables. How much "support" would this get here?

"I am looking to enroll my son in a school thats primarily all white males. He is age 14 and in the 9th grade. I would love for him to be around strong white male role model teachers and teenagers his age that are really trying to succeed."

Old 01-31-2010, 03:43 PM

I love the fact that you weigh my words & opinions carefully before putting out a thoughtful & polite counter argument. Doesn't happen too often here in the blogosphere.

I am very mindful of the heated atmosphere that black america resides in, especially in light of such socially revealing events like the incident regarding Henry Louis Gates, the over-the-top anger at President Obama, Wachovia/Wells Fargo's well-documented predatory lending practices to the African American community, the common practice of locating garbage dumps & chemical plants near minority & poor areas(environmental racism) & the still common residential segregation practices of the majority towards the minority as you pointed out.

While I acknowledge your point that black people shouldn't bend over backwards to appease the notion of a racial utopia while others(white folks, East Indians, Vietnamese, Mexican communities) have unfortunately consistently voted with their feet against it, I am simply saying that at the very least we black folks shouldn't go out of our way to agressively countenance the notion that only black schools will do for us, especially in light of the recent conservative pushback against diversity. As it is now there are way too many foes of progress in this modern era who would like nothing more than to oblige those notions for a seperate education system & then use them as an excuse to go one step further & turn the clock back on freedom.

If black schools ARE indeed necessary for SOME folks in order to maintain a sense of cultural integrity I are just wondering if those folks in our black community simply couldn't just entertain such thoughts behind closed doors & put them into practice in a normal way like other communities rather than put such concepts on blast for the world to see.

After all our predecessors like Martin Luther King Jr., Medgar Evers, Hosea Williams & others fought so hard & shed blood for our community & the world at large to have a seat at the table of equality & it would be unfortunate & a shame in my opinion, for some in our community to NOW be voicing second thoughts on the matter of desegregation.

But I could be wrong, though. Just my thoughts. The next salvo is yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by son-house View Post
Yours is a sound point of view (I respect a good counter argument). I hear you 100% (and I don't take your words as an attack )

I respectfully counter with this:

There are currently segments of the population who do not wish to be legislated into socializing with the "other". We should not attempt to force them to do so, and they should not attempt to force their self-segregation on others.

Sure, that seems fairly simple, and maybe even utopian, but such people exist and have a right to exist.

I certainly see your point that Black folks 'keeping it Black' (to borrow your phrase) could be construed as "self-segregation" and could potentially be used as a justification for overt re-segregation of the commonwealth (there still is de facto segregation of same), but Black folks can't (and shouldn't) stick to the cautious road merely out of nervousness for how others might interpret it.

I certainly think that mixed communities (ethnic, economic, environmental, ideological, etc.) are healthy goals. But, I believe that as long as Black folks are consistently on the receiving end of most negative statistics (and syndromes) in the country, and as long as some 'others' find it acceptable to visit their hostility on us (via legal, environmental, geographic and social bullying), it's probably best that we focus on ourselves.

One.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta