U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:23 AM

1,459 posts, read 4,459,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
I wish I had a dollar for everybody I've met here who doesn't even know where their neighborhood is governed...
Yeah, I got into an argument the other day with someone who lives in south Forsyth, over the fact that he does not actually live in the city of Suwanee. He said, "What are you talking about? My address says Suwanee!" I asked him when he calls the police, who comes to the house - "Forsyth County sheriff." Then, if you have a fire, what fire department comes - "Forsyth County FD." Ok, to what entity do you pay property taxes - "Forsyth County." He finally got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 11:18 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,177,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Yeah, I got into an argument the other day with someone who lives in south Forsyth, over the fact that he does not actually live in the city of Suwanee. He said, "What are you talking about? My address says Suwanee!" I asked him when he calls the police, who comes to the house - "Forsyth County sheriff." Then, if you have a fire, what fire department comes - "Forsyth County FD." Ok, to what entity do you pay property taxes - "Forsyth County." He finally got it.
Yes, I find this too. I live in the portion of Cobb County that's in the 30075 zip code, so our street address is Roswell, GA. I'm in an older subdivision that has no swim/tennis, so we sometimes use the nearby Roswell Area Park pool (a very nice outdoor pool) in summer. I had a disagreement with a neighbor over paying the "resident" versus "non-resident" rate at the pool. We always pay the non-resident rate (a dollar more to swim, since we aren't contributing tax dollars to providing the pool). The neighbor always pays the resident rate and was adamant, in our conversation, that of course she is a Roswell resident - the fact is declared by her address! She appeared to think I was a crazy person who could not understand the most simple and obvious facts.

When the people who actually live here don't understand this stuff, no wonder other people don't.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:01 PM

14,385 posts, read 23,049,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Some of them might be historic artifacts. For example. Mableton used to be an incorporated city back in the early 1900's, and has existed as a real entity for much longer than that (had a train station, has its own ZIP code, etc.). It just isn't incorporated, but it does have an identity all its own, and I get the impression that it's been a setlement surrounding by not much else for a long time ... until it started merging into Smyrna to the north and Austell to the west, anyway. You can't really tell where Smyrna ends and Mableton begins anymore. Same with Austell. It's all suburb ... they just pay more taxes.

Vinings is also an old description for the Vinings area. I think it was named after a railroad maintenance station or something, but the name has been around for a long time (well before it became a suburb of Atlanta).

I just read the Wikipedia article on CDPs, and I think it does a good job of explaining some of the reasons why a given area might be considered a CDP. See the section entitled Purpose of designation. I personally think you're reading too much into the designation.

Good response and explanation.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Old 02-01-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Yes, I find this too. I live in the portion of Cobb County that's in the 30075 zip code, so our street address is Roswell, GA. I'm in an older subdivision that has no swim/tennis, so we sometimes use the nearby Roswell Area Park pool (a very nice outdoor pool) in summer. I had a disagreement with a neighbor over paying the "resident" versus "non-resident" rate at the pool. We always pay the non-resident rate (a dollar more to swim, since we aren't contributing tax dollars to providing the pool). The neighbor always pays the resident rate and was adamant, in our conversation, that of course she is a Roswell resident - the fact is declared by her address! She appeared to think I was a crazy person who could not understand the most simple and obvious facts.

When the people who actually live here don't understand this stuff, no wonder other people don't.
I think Atlanta (including Metro Atlanta) has the highest number of residents who don't truly understand or have complete knowledge of their area--as a native it is very frustrating (however, I do appreciate people like yourself and OhioNative and others who do take the time to understand and learn about their new home!).

I actually wrote a post way back when that mentioned some of these same issues (Knowledge of Phoenix comparison)...

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ml#post2601007

Old 02-01-2010, 11:04 AM

1,459 posts, read 4,459,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I think Atlanta (including Metro Atlanta) has the highest number of residents who don't truly understand or have complete knowledge of their area--as a native it is very frustrating (however, I do appreciate people like yourself and OhioNative and others who do take the time to understand and learn about their new home!).

I actually wrote a post way back when that mentioned some of these same issues (Knowledge of Phoenix comparison)...

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ml#post2601007
I am sort of obsessive about maps and learning my way around an area whenever I move to somewhere new. The ADP brand county or Metro Atlanta maps are a good resource in that they clearly show the city boundaries and zip codes, as well as subdivision labels. I know that not everyone will study them as obsessively as I do, but they can really help in choosing an area to live, as well as finding alternate routes on our crazy metro Atlanta roads.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I am sort of obsessive about maps and learning my way around an area whenever I move to somewhere new. The ADP brand county or Metro Atlanta maps are a good resource in that they clearly show the city boundaries and zip codes, as well as subdivision labels. I know that not everyone will study them as obsessively as I do, but they can really help in choosing an area to live, as well as finding alternate routes on our crazy metro Atlanta roads.

I am the same way--

I read somewhere once, that it is good for everyone to "know" the area in which they live (newcomer or native)--it's important to learn about the unique history, geography, weather patterns, and flora/fauna of an area. And no one is talking about deep "nerd" knowledge--just basic overview.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:37 PM

237 posts, read 565,081 times
thanks for the link, interesting stuff.

a while back, I decided I wanted to drive thru and see the 'downtown' area of every incorporated city in the metro area, and we wondered why we couldn't find the Mableton city hall Saturday. Anyone know if it has a downtown area? On Saturday, we hit Austell, Powder Springs, Hiram, and Douglasville based on where the city hall was and/or signs pointed. I notice you mention Tucker is not incorporated, though I'm pretty sure I drove thru what is considered its downtown once.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:58 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,580,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatl View Post
thanks for the link, interesting stuff.

a while back, I decided I wanted to drive thru and see the 'downtown' area of every incorporated city in the metro area, and we wondered why we couldn't find the Mableton city hall Saturday. Anyone know if it has a downtown area? On Saturday, we hit Austell, Powder Springs, Hiram, and Douglasville based on where the city hall was and/or signs pointed. I notice you mention Tucker is not incorporated, though I'm pretty sure I drove thru what is considered its downtown once.
Mableton, like Tucker, is not incorporated. I believe that at one time it was, but is no longer.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:11 PM

625 posts, read 965,717 times
i usually assume if there's a skyscraper it's atlanta. But dunwoody is a little confusing. It feels more like a business park than a city.. What a weird stale place that is. I wonder if all the people with no personality like that area? Oh well, they all gotta live somewhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or