Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:00 PM

16,627 posts, read 29,284,217 times

Advertisements

Here is some helpful information for many on this forum...

The link below provides a map that shows which parts of Metro Atlanta are within incorporated municipalities (grey) vs. unincorporated areas (white). Most, but not all Metro Atlanta counties are on the link.

File:Atlanta-suburbs.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

*You will also notice that some of the unincorporated areas are outlined--these areas are "census-designated places" (CDP). Some "census-designated places" in Metro Atlanta include Mableton, Tucker, Mountain Park (Gwinnett County), North Decatur, and North Druid Hills. Remember, these "CDPs" are still unincorporated areas!

Census-designated place - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 06:19 PM

2,431 posts, read 3,813,981 times
Aries4118 always has the cool maps...

Old 01-30-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Aries4118 always has the cool maps...

Old 01-30-2010, 07:37 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,970,711 times
Nice map, Aries.

BTW, for those who aren't familiar with the Atlanta area, the unincorporated regions aren't open rural areas like you might suspect.

Instead, those areas are very much suburban and in appearance are often completely indistinguishable from their incorporated neighbors ... the main difference is that the county performs what most of the country would consider "city" functions ... it provides police, fire, water/sewer, local road repairs, and many other services that a city might otherwise provide.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Nice map, Aries.

BTW, for those who aren't familiar with the Atlanta area, the unincorporated regions aren't open rural areas like you might suspect.

Instead, those areas are very much suburban and in appearance are often completely indistinguishable from their incorporated neighbors ... the main difference is that the county performs what most of the country would consider "city" functions ... it provides police, fire, water/sewer, local road repairs, and many other services that a city might otherwise provide.

Thanks.

A few things...

The map does not show the newly-incorporated city of Chattahoochee Hills in extreme south/southwest Fulton County. Also, Lithia Springs--in northeast Douglas County near Austell (Cobb County) is shown as still incorporated. The city is actually not incorporated anymore (but will probably revert to a "CDP".).

Old 01-30-2010, 08:36 PM

339 posts, read 693,035 times
I have to admit, I am still a little "fuzzy" on the purpose of the designation CDP. I have read the Wikipedia page prior, but I am trying to understand what is the purpose of it? It doesn't mean the area is a historic site/area. It does not mean the area is its own city (incorporated)? So I guess I am try to figure out what is the real purpose for a community to have this designation? Political clout? etc.

Thanks

Old 01-30-2010, 09:13 PM

625 posts, read 1,142,962 times
I wish I had a dollar for everybody I've met here who doesn't even know where their neighborhood is governed...

Old 01-30-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
I wish I had a dollar for everybody I've met here who doesn't even know where their neighborhood is governed...
It's usually governed by the HOA. Silly.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPeach View Post
I have to admit, I am still a little "fuzzy" on the purpose of the designation CDP. I have read the Wikipedia page prior, but I am trying to understand what is the purpose of it? It doesn't mean the area is a historic site/area. It does not mean the area is its own city (incorporated)? So I guess I am try to figure out what is the real purpose for a community to have this designation? Political clout? etc.
Some of them might be historic artifacts. For example. Mableton used to be an incorporated city back in the early 1900's, and has existed as a real entity for much longer than that (had a train station, has its own ZIP code, etc.). It just isn't incorporated, but it does have an identity all its own, and I get the impression that it's been a setlement surrounding by not much else for a long time ... until it started merging into Smyrna to the north and Austell to the west, anyway. You can't really tell where Smyrna ends and Mableton begins anymore. Same with Austell. It's all suburb ... they just pay more taxes.

Vinings is also an old description for the Vinings area. I think it was named after a railroad maintenance station or something, but the name has been around for a long time (well before it became a suburb of Atlanta).

I just read the Wikipedia article on CDPs, and I think it does a good job of explaining some of the reasons why a given area might be considered a CDP. See the section entitled Purpose of designation. I personally think you're reading too much into the designation.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:07 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,665,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Vinings is also an old description for the Vinings area. I think it was named after a railroad maintenance station or something, but the name has been around for a long time (well before it became a suburb of Atlanta).

Quote:
Vinings was named after a young engineer from Delaware, William H. Vining, who constructed a series of railroad trestles over a curve in Vinings Mountain around 1839-1840, Doyle said.
The 26-year-old needed construction materials and workers would say, “Go drop this off at Vining’s station, on the railroad,” Doyle said.
Cobb decides what counts as the real Vinings *| ajc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta