U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 07:49 AM

897 posts, read 1,499,441 times

Advertisements

I dated a woman in Cumming,Georgia. It's a very nice town,would be a good place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 07:11 PM

15 posts, read 69,287 times
Personally, I'm a fan of the Suwanee area. Gwinnett County schools do tend to be very big which I'm not particularly fond of. Of course, that's just me.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:56 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,525,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern no more View Post
Your realtor doesn't know jack! That school is very good. The teachers care about their students and the students are good kids. I work in the school system and have insider views on this. The realtor is probably saying this because most of the other middle schools in the county are 99% white students while Otwell has some color within its population. Unfortunately, Forsyth county still does have some ties with the KKK. Not to mention the homes in the Otwell district will not be as expensive as in others. Your realtor is probably just trying to make a few extra bucks!

Maybe a decade or so ago but now
Where are they? Playing golf in sheets at Windermere? Fillin' up their pickem up trucks at the Ingles Gas Station, downtown at one of the craft shops?
Or maybe it's Billy Ray and his cousin having a two man rally at their trailer and lot that they refused to sell to one of the McMansion developments around them

The only sheets I see in Forsyth today is Mable's step in's and bed linens hanging from the clothes line

Forsyth, it ain't what it used to be!!!!

Old 04-24-2010, 09:35 PM

37 posts, read 137,398 times
People steadfastly cling to their stereotypes. I do remember the 80's when Hosea Williams marched to Cumming to meet some Klan members. Fortunately, I was out of town or something. Cumming's still growing at a rapid pace, some homes are continuing to be built and home sales have been brisk with the tax credit.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:40 AM

8,862 posts, read 15,220,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hspinnler View Post
People steadfastly cling to their stereotypes. I do remember the 80's when Hosea Williams marched to Cumming to meet some Klan members. Fortunately, I was out of town or something. Cumming's still growing at a rapid pace, some homes are continuing to be built and home sales have been brisk with the tax credit.
sigh--My aunt fits this stereotype--in her 80's and will never forget this incident. I don't have empirical data but from driving through 'metro Cumming' I have to believe that at least 95% of the citizens are more progressive.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:54 AM

50 posts, read 136,052 times
Is this news article available online for those of us that do not live in Atlanta and cannot purchase it? I went to their website but couldn't find the article you mention. Do you remember the title or maybe who wrote it? Thanks!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter62 View Post
Is this news article available online for those of us that do not live in Atlanta and cannot purchase it? I went to their website but couldn't find the article you mention. Do you remember the title or maybe who wrote it? Thanks!
Could you clarify which news article? I scanned the thread and in post #4 'Georgia' mentioned an article in the Atlanta Business Chronicle that discussed schools.

There is an 'article' which is apparently easily found via Google or another source that has been discussed several times in the 'Racism in Atlanta' threads. You can search the archives for those discussions--imo-- a waste of time.

ETA: From Google --Feb 2, 1987--Time's article on the march in Cumming, GA.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...963447,00.html

It is absoulutely true that you can find 'every' sort of person in the state of Georgia. Maybe it is simply a 'miracle' that many of us have progressed at all?

Old 04-25-2010, 09:36 AM

37 posts, read 64,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Maybe it is simply a 'miracle' that many of us have progressed at all?
No, it came through sweat, tears and..blood.

I'd like to see what the ABC has to say, but am pretty sure we already know the areas. The only public GA high school that ranked well nationally based on Newsweek criteria and such is Walton. Dallas (no surprise really) and CA (of course) stand out on those lists. GA is honestly absent.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backinblac View Post
I'd like to see what the ABC has to say, but am pretty sure we already know the areas. The only public GA high school that ranked well nationally based on Newsweek criteria and such is Walton. Dallas (no surprise really) and CA (of course) stand out on those lists. GA is honestly absent.

Yes, yes, yes--'Public Education in the State of GA' is another topic that can/will be discussed ad infinitum. Certain that 'Racism' will be included as a factor in the anaylses of the shocking inferiority of Georgia schools. Another 'miracle' that anyone subjected to the abysmal mediocrity of 'government' schools, as Boortz prefers, can ever lead a productive life.

If the PP is truly interested in obtaining an article from the ABC he/she might venture forth to a library. There are search engines designed to search databases of periodicals.
Here's a CD thread on 'schools' and there are 1,000's more>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...e-quality.html

I can't imagine this article would have any 'new' data. It seems like it's about time for an annual progress report on standardized testing results to be published in the AJC--the validity of which has been thoroughly debated and discussed.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 04-25-2010 at 10:48 AM..

Old 04-25-2010, 10:33 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,182,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backinblac View Post
No, it came through sweat, tears and..blood.

Huh? The Newsweek criteria are idiosyncratic, but even so, Newsweek's 2009 list of the top 1,500 US high schools includes 54 in Georgia, 134 in Texas (including 7 in Dallas) and 267 in California.

December, 2009 population estimates for those states are 10 million Georgia, 25 million Texas, 37 million California. Thus the numbers of schools in each state on Newsweek's lists seem to be roughly commensurate with population, as one might expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta