U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 10:18 PM

8 posts, read 17,385 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone:

If we are lucky enough to secure a place to live, in the midtown/downtown area, is it feasible for my family and I to get around without having to have a car? You know getting to work, picking up groceries, getting to a doctor if necessary, that type of stuff.

Also, is there any area(s) of downtown/midtown that we should avoid when looking for a new place to rent?

Overall how would you rate the safety of the midtown/downtown area?

Thanks to anyone who can give me some idea of if what we are looking for would be possible...look forward to your replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 10:37 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,766,952 times
You should browse and search the forum about the public transit issue, because actually, this topic has been discussed many times before. But the short of it is that while you CAN get around Atlanta using the bus and rail (MARTA) system, Atlanta is a very spread out city, and you won't be able to get a lot out of living here if you don't have a car. That being said, you can possibly rent a Zip car when you live here as you need it to fill in the carless gap days.

In terms of safety, while some people to venture to live "downtown", it's not at all typcially a family-oriented atmosphere at all. Usually younger couples, singles, etc who "pioneer" to do it. Midtown proper, to the Virginia Highlands area is nicer. In terms of safety, it's all relative. If you're comparing it to Mayberry or Asheville, no, it's not what many would call "safe". If you're comparing it to New Orleans or Detroit, yes, it's safer. Again - it's relative depending on where you're coming from and what you're used to regarding larger city living.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:04 PM

8 posts, read 17,385 times
Thanks for the fast reply. I've lived in some large cities throughout the US, some pretty good, some I couldn't wait to get out of. I have passed through Atlanta on many an ocassion but never had the time to stop and explore.

My son in law works for SunTrust and he may take a relocation with them so we are trying to gather some information on where the best places to live would be. Definitely don't want to be out in the burbs and would like to be able to utilize public transportation as much as possible.

You mentioned Midtown Proper, is that in the downtown area? I think I saw a lot of rentals saying Midtown when I was looking online earlier today. Would that be one in the same?

The link you sent for the zip car was pretty cool, I already looked at their site and it is something we definitely would look in to.

Thanks again!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:57 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,766,952 times
Midtown is just North of downtown. If you look on a map you'll the very long "Peachtree Street" that begins downtown. There's always been debate as to where Midtown officially begins, but generally, many see it as starting around the Civic Center area and continues North to "around" Piedmont hospital where it then gets into the area known as "Buckhead". Though again, people vary slightly as to where this area begins and ends.

The MAIN area of Midtown is generally seen by some as around North Avenue to 25th Street. To the right you'll see the Piedmont Park area, and continuing the Virginia Highlands area (both of which I'd consider ok, myself). To the left you'll see the Atlantic Station area (decent), and "West Midtown" area (which some say has higher crime, others don't, yadda yadda).

If you live along the main stretch of Peachtree Street, you'll have walkable access to at least 3 MARTA rail stations. If you head to the Virginia Highlands area, you'll see to connect to the rail via bus.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:03 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,835,679 times
I don't know what your looking for as far as a residence, but you may want to see if you can rent in the Plaza Midtown. There is a full grocery store with pharmacy on the first floor. The elevators actually a button to take you to the first floor to access the store. There is also a dry cleaners in the building. It is across the street from the MARTA station too.

It is a condo building, but many of the units are for rent by the owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta