U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 01:13 AM

740 posts, read 1,103,904 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am moving back to the US from overseas and have job prospects in a few cities including Atlanta. I have only been there for conferences, so I am not so familiar with the city and, unfortunately, am not going to have the chance to visit any of these cities before relocating.

I am definitely an urban type of girl (prefer to walk rather than drive, like having restaurants/bars in my neighborhood, etc.). I do not have a strong housing type preference (house vs condo vs townhome, et al) although if I have a choice, I prefer individual apartment buildings to apartment complexes. I like to run in the mornings before work, so there must be sidewalks. Also, since I have 2 dogs, proximity to a dog park is a huge bonus

My work will be around Emory/CDC. No kids, so school district is not an issue

Any suggestions for neighborhoods? My upper rent limit is $1500

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 08:53 AM

1,183 posts, read 1,834,219 times
Virginia Highlands comes to mind.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:18 PM

225 posts, read 522,506 times
Midtown, Decatur, Lindbergh, and Virgina Highlands should all work out but it all depends on whether you plan to drive to work or not. If running and your dogs are a priority, you might want to stick closer to Piedmont Park. They have a dog park. But then, you would most likely need to drive to the Clifton Corridor (Emory/CDC) area.

A good majority of the local bars are definitely in the Highlands but when you mentioned running and dogs, I began to think of Piedmont Park.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:01 PM

2,675 posts, read 5,661,959 times
While these neighborhoods look fine and dandy, do we know where you will be working? If you like to walk, I hope your job is not too far from the places mentioned above.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:06 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,225,019 times
I would look in Virginia Highland and Decatur.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:37 PM

5 posts, read 18,015 times
We are also considering a move to Atlanta. We are city folks, so would not consider a move to the suburbs. One concern that has arisen in our search and that you might want to investigate before making a decision is that Atlanta appears to have alarming high rates of crime. My wife and I really like the midtown area - lots of cute neighborhoods (with dog parks) with old homes. However, my brother in law and his wife live in one of these neighborhoods now and (while they love their house and neighbors) they report lots of incidences of burglary and violent crime. I am not trying to scare you away from Atlanta, but this might be a red flag that you might want to investigate, particularly once you identify some neighborhoods you like. Good luck

Old 02-01-2010, 08:51 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,802,608 times
atlanta is a lot safer than most big cities, we ranked somewhere between 19th - 22th in crime last year

Old 02-01-2010, 11:48 PM

740 posts, read 1,103,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
While these neighborhoods look fine and dandy, do we know where you will be working? If you like to walk, I hope your job is not too far from the places mentioned above.
I will be with CDC or Emory, although exactly which site for either I do not

Thank you all for your input. Midtown sounds very interesting, although when I look at the map it won't be walkable to work, but I need to make some concessions when moving out of a population-dense urban area

How is the metro system? Generally efficient?

Although crime is a factor, for me it is not all that big of a factor. I lived in Oakland, CA and one of the less nice parts of NY (Washington Heights) so I have a decent street sense.

Piedmont park definitely sounds perfect for me and the beasts!

Old 02-02-2010, 04:18 AM

625 posts, read 965,717 times
Piedmont park is great for the weekends, but there are other places you should be looking to live for your personality. Piedmont park area (midtown) is very large and mostly residential. It's hard to walk anywhere there because it's extremely residential. 90% of the people you see walking around that area are doing it for exercise.

Most people in Atlanta who choose to go carless use the buses, so there's really no reason for them to walk far. The bus stops are everywhere in this city, and the buses are friendly and welcoming. No rude mexican buss drivers here like in CA.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:26 AM

8 posts, read 10,935 times
You may want to consider a 1 bedroom condo in one of the new skyscrapers in ATL. With the recent downfall in the economy the 1 bedroom condos are going for dirt cheap becasue everyone wants 2 bedrooms. For instance a friend of mine moved in one of the new swanky all glass condos and paid 300k for a 2 bedroom. 1 bedrooms across the hall are selling for $130 ish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or