U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2010, 07:25 PM
 
14,430 posts, read 23,119,093 times
Reputation: 5138

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMW View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "busing", but the kids who attend North Atlanta live in the North Atlanta zone, as do the Sutton kids. Sutton is currently the only feeder school for N. Atlanta High School. Bolton Academy is included in the North Atlanta zone, and that is predominantly black school. E. Rivers, where my kids attend school, is about 30% black and 30% hispanic.

At E. Rivers Elementary, kids who live in $1M+ houses in Brookwood learn in the same classrooms as the kids who live in trailers on Chattahoochee Ave. Whether we want to see it or not, that is the real world. The mix of cultures is the attraction of the school.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the zoning is announced for the new middle school.

I love E. Rivers Elementary!


DebbieMW...since you are a Buckhead resident, what would you think of this rough split:

Brandon, E. Rivers, and Bolton Academy to the New Middle School.

Jackson, Sarah Smith, and Garden Hills to Sutton.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2010, 08:00 PM
 
2 posts, read 7,903 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
...since you are a Buckhead resident, what would you think of this rough split:

Brandon, E. Rivers, and Bolton Academy to the New Middle School.

Jackson, Sarah Smith, and Garden Hills to Sutton.

Your thoughts?
I think that will probably be the split. I'm ok with that. I know the Brandon folks will not be happy. I don't think they value diversity as much as they value high test scores. True, if you look at the Rivers CRCT scores, they are not as high as those at Brandon, Jackson and Smith. But included in those scores are kids who have only been speaking English for a few years, and kids whose parents may not be able to help them with homework.

The things I look at are these: Are my kids learning what they should be learning? Are the gifted classes available for the kids who need to be challenged? Do my kids look forward to going to school every day? Are the parents involved in the PTA and volunteering at the school? Are my kids becoming compassionate, passionate, thinking, caring people? I can answer "yes" to each of these questions, and I do not have to pay tuition. I'm pretty happy with my Atlanta Public School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2010, 09:38 PM
 
1,498 posts, read 2,681,104 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMW View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "busing", but the kids who attend North Atlanta live in the North Atlanta zone, as do the Sutton kids. Sutton is currently the only feeder school for N. Atlanta High School. Bolton Academy is included in the North Atlanta zone, and that is predominantly black school. E. Rivers, where my kids attend school, is about 30% black and 30% hispanic.

At E. Rivers Elementary, kids who live in $1M+ houses in Brookwood learn in the same classrooms as the kids who live in trailers on Chattahoochee Ave. Whether we want to see it or not, that is the real world. The mix of cultures is the attraction of the school.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the zoning is announced for the new middle school.
there are many ways students can be bused to a school. one way is to make a jerrymandered "north atlanta district" that includes neighborhoods along bankhead highway or that are across the street from douglass high. another way is nonexpiring minority-to-majority programs or "m-to-m", which fulton county currently practices. dekalb county schools also bus in some form. atlanta buses to "magnet program" schools, which is what north atlanta is. its been
going on in one form or another for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2010, 09:41 PM
 
1,498 posts, read 2,681,104 times
Reputation: 551
smith, brandon, jackson: sutton middle

e. rivers, garden hills, bolton: north atlanta middle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 06:52 AM
 
14,430 posts, read 23,119,093 times
Reputation: 5138
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMW View Post
I think that will probably be the split. I'm ok with that. I know the Brandon folks will not be happy. I don't think they value diversity as much as they value high test scores. True, if you look at the Rivers CRCT scores, they are not as high as those at Brandon, Jackson and Smith. But included in those scores are kids who have only been speaking English for a few years, and kids whose parents may not be able to help them with homework.

The things I look at are these: Are my kids learning what they should be learning? Are the gifted classes available for the kids who need to be challenged? Do my kids look forward to going to school every day? Are the parents involved in the PTA and volunteering at the school? Are my kids becoming compassionate, passionate, thinking, caring people? I can answer "yes" to each of these questions, and I do not have to pay tuition. I'm pretty happy with my Atlanta Public School.
I think it could be a good split though. Garden Hills and Bolton Academy have somewhat similar demographics and each would go to the different middle schools. Brandon, Jackson, and Smith have similar demographics and would be split between the middle schools. The one in the "middle" (meaning demographics that are really a blend of the other five elementary schools) is E. Rivers.

I think the population make-up of the two middle schools could be similar with the suggested split (Jackson, Garden Hills, Smith to Sutton Middle; Brandon, E. Rivers, and Bolton Academy to Peachtree Creek Middle). What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 06:53 AM
 
14,430 posts, read 23,119,093 times
Reputation: 5138
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
smith, brandon, jackson: sutton middle

e. rivers, garden hills, bolton: north atlanta middle

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 06:58 AM
 
14,430 posts, read 23,119,093 times
Reputation: 5138
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
there are many ways students can be bused to a school. one way is to make a jerrymandered "north atlanta district" that includes neighborhoods along bankhead highway or that are across the street from douglass high. another way is nonexpiring minority-to-majority programs or "m-to-m", which fulton county currently practices. dekalb county schools also bus in some form. atlanta buses to "magnet program" schools, which is what north atlanta is. its been
going on in one form or another for years.

There is nothing "gerrymandered" about how APS drew its districts. Students in deep West Atlanta attended North Atlanta high school for just a few years because they closed down Harper-Archer High School. Initially, Douglass and Mays could not handle the new influx until building expansions and adjustments were made. And still, North Atlanta's former district (post Harper-Archer shutdown) was not gerrymandered--it is was very contiguous and holistic, only bigger than it is now.

Study these maps hard:

Atlanta Public Schools | School Zones (http://www.atlantapublicschools.us/186110108171837253/site/default.asp - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
8,059 posts, read 10,559,076 times
Reputation: 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
There is nothing "gerrymandered" about how APS drew its districts. Students in deep West Atlanta attended North Atlanta high school for just a few years because they closed down Harper-Archer High School. Initially, Douglass and Mays could not handle the new influx until building expansions and adjustments were made. And still, North Atlanta's former district (post Harper-Archer shutdown) was not gerrymandered--it is was very contiguous and holistic, only bigger than it is now.

Study these maps hard:

Atlanta Public Schools | School Zones (http://www.atlantapublicschools.us/186110108171837253/site/default.asp - broken link)
I love maps!

This middle school map pretty much answered our question of what the new middle school will be named. There are five of the thirteen current middle schools in the APS system that have retained their former High School names: Harper Archer (which were originally separate high schools, Harper HS and Archer HS), Brown, Price, Sylvan and Turner.

North Atlanta Middle School will be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 10:17 AM
 
14,430 posts, read 23,119,093 times
Reputation: 5138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I love maps!

This middle school map pretty much answered our question of what the new middle school will be named. There are five of the thirteen current middle schools in the APS system that have retained their former High School names: Harper Archer (which were originally separate high schools, Harper HS and Archer HS), Brown, Price, Sylvan and Turner.

North Atlanta Middle School will be it.
You're probably right, but I hope not. Here's why:

The schools you mentioned all had deep, historical ties to the communities where they were located. North Atlanta never really had this with Buckhead. However, I think naming the middle school Northside Middle or even North Fulton Middle would have more significance since these former high schools did have strong ties to the Buckhead community, especially North Fulton High (and Northside has deep ties with the performing arts/entertainment community as well).

And the former Southwest High School is now Young Middle School--so there's hope.


Go Peachtree Creek Middle, Wesley Middle, or Northside Middle!

Last edited by aries4118; 02-05-2010 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2010, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
8,059 posts, read 10,559,076 times
Reputation: 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You're probably right, but I hope not. Here's why:

The schools you mentioned all had deep, historical ties to the communities where they were located. North Atlanta never really had this with Buckhead. However, I think naming the middle school Northside Middle or even North Fulton Middle would have more significance since these former high schools did have strong ties to the Buckhead community, especially North Fulton High (and Northside has deep ties with the performing arts/entertainment community as well).

And the former Southwest High School is now Young Middle School--so there's hope.

Go Peachtree Creek Middle, Wesley Middle, or Northside Middle!
Good point, North Atlanta is a rather new concoction of a name, so maybe there's hope. You reckon the school board reads our thread and sees the ground swell of support we got going on here?

Which of these icons works best for my slightly grandiose comment? Will go with this one, tongue has slipped out of the cheek tho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:49 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top