U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 03:02 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,680,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No.
your response is not surprising. the demographics of such a school would definitly not sit well with
you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 03:28 PM

14,409 posts, read 23,103,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Good point, North Atlanta is a rather new concoction of a name, so maybe there's hope. You reckon the school board reads our thread and sees the ground swell of support we got going on here?

Which of these icons works best for my slightly grandiose comment? Will go with this one, tongue has slipped out of the cheek tho

And I forgot to mention...didn't Sutton Middle use to be Dykes High?

So, another example of a name change.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:56 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,285,779 times
Make each middle school distinctive and allow families to choose. How cool would that be?

For example, one could have an IB programme and the other could be math and science oriented (I am just making these up for arguments sake.)

I know many young families that currently intend for their children to go public through 8th grade. With a strong high school program, they will gladly go public k-12.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMW View Post
I think that will probably be the split. I'm ok with that. I know the Brandon folks will not be happy. I don't think they value diversity as much as they value high test scores. True, if you look at the Rivers CRCT scores, they are not as high as those at Brandon, Jackson and Smith. But included in those scores are kids who have only been speaking English for a few years, and kids whose parents may not be able to help them with homework.

The things I look at are these: Are my kids learning what they should be learning? Are the gifted classes available for the kids who need to be challenged? Do my kids look forward to going to school every day? Are the parents involved in the PTA and volunteering at the school? Are my kids becoming compassionate, passionate, thinking, caring people? I can answer "yes" to each of these questions, and I do not have to pay tuition. I'm pretty happy with my Atlanta Public School.
According to greatschool.net, the population of the Buckhead elementary schools are...

Smith: 844
Jackson: 843
Brandon: 776
Garden Hills: 571
Rivers: 480
Bolton Academy: 452

So, considering the school populations, I think a better split would be:

Sutton Middle: Smith, Garden Hills, 60-70% Jackson split

Peachtree Creek/Northside/Wesley Middle (new middle school): Brandon, Rivers, Bolton Academy, 30-40% Jackson split

*This configuration makes two similar-sized middle schools with similar populations/demographics.
*About 1/3 of the Jackson district is closer to new middle school campus than to Sutton--plus, the Jackson district starts only a few streets north of the new middle school campus.
*The Brandon parents will be happy that the new middle school gets a significant part of the Jackson population (we do have to think pragmatically...even though it may not be a "nice" thought)

Old 03-03-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
According to greatschool.net, the population of the Buckhead elementary schools are...

Smith: 844
Jackson: 843
Brandon: 776
Garden Hills: 571
Rivers: 480
Bolton Academy: 452

So, considering the school populations, I think a better split would be:

Sutton Middle: Smith, Garden Hills, 60-70% Jackson split

Peachtree Creek/Northside/Wesley Middle (new middle school): Brandon, Rivers, Bolton Academy, 30-40% Jackson split

*This configuration makes two similar-sized middle schools with similar populations/demographics.
*About 1/3 of the Jackson district is closer to new middle school campus than to Sutton--plus, the Jackson district starts only a few streets north of the new middle school campus.
*The Brandon parents will be happy that the new middle school gets a significant part of the Jackson population (we do have to think pragmatically...even though it may not be a "nice" thought)

http://www.atlantapublicschools.us/186110108171837253/lib/186110108171837253/Elementary_Map_FY10_2.pdf (broken link)
*(Shows the Buckhead elementary school zones)

http://www.atlantapublicschools.us/186110108171837253/lib/186110108171837253/High_Map_FY10_2.pdf (broken link)
*(Shows location of new middle school--at the current North Atlanta High site)

http://www.atlantapublicschools.us/186110108171837253/lib/186110108171837253/Middle_Map_FY10_2.pdf (broken link)
*(Shows location of Sutton Middle School)

Old 03-04-2010, 08:47 PM

81 posts, read 265,252 times
I went to E. Rivers, Sutton, and N. Fulton (was zoned for Northside but went to the N. Fulton magnet program).

I was in North Fulton's final graduating class before it consolidated with Northside HS to become North Atlanta HS. Unfortunately, North Fulton wasn't being administered well during my Freshman year and my father pulled me out to attend Woodward Academy for my final 3 years of HS.

I can say this without hesitation - I went into the "College Prep" curriculum at Woodward Academy and was immediately in the top 5% of my class academically, alongside kids who had been in private school their entire life.

When I observe these Buckhead idiots discussing their plans for school for their children without even the first consideration of the public school, I know right away that they don't put any real thought into their plans for raising their children. They're guided by fear, convenience and social pressure.

Thankfully, more and more thoughtful parents are realizing that APS is a fantastic option and the schools are only going to get stronger and stronger with more local support. Yes, it's the same thing that happened in Inman/Grady and will happen/is already happening in Sutton/N. Atlanta. I have been observing the trends for 25+ years and the outlook is quite promising, indeed.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBuKev View Post
I went to E. Rivers, Sutton, and N. Fulton (was zoned for Northside but went to the N. Fulton magnet program).

I was in North Fulton's final graduating class before it consolidated with Northside HS to become North Atlanta HS. Unfortunately, North Fulton wasn't being administered well during my Freshman year and my father pulled me out to attend Woodward Academy for my final 3 years of HS.

I can say this without hesitation - I went into the "College Prep" curriculum at Woodward Academy and was immediately in the top 5% of my class academically, alongside kids who had been in private school their entire life.

When I observe these Buckhead idiots discussing their plans for school for their children without even the first consideration of the public school, I know right away that they don't put any real thought into their plans for raising their children. They're guided by fear, convenience and social pressure.

Thankfully, more and more thoughtful parents are realizing that APS is a fantastic option and the schools are only going to get stronger and stronger with more local support. Yes, it's the same thing that happened in Inman/Grady and will happen/is already happening in Sutton/N. Atlanta. I have been observing the trends for 25+ years and the outlook is quite promising, indeed.

Great post.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:17 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,485,377 times
See, these kinds of posts lift my heart. While I always attended private schools (in another state) I have become a believer in public schools.

My son attend Mary Lin. And while I hear people complain about standardized testing and "teaching to the test" I am 100% confident that my kid will succeed in AP classes or honors programs throughout his education.

Just today he was working of a project for school where he has to look up 20 facts about an animal from one of Georgia's geographic regions (he chose Piedmont since that's where we live). These weren't any facts but rather the teacher supplied a list of 20 questions the kids need to answer about the animal they chose. One of the questions was whether the animal was endo- or exothermic.

My kid looks at me and asks me what exothermic means. I tell him, "What do you think'?

He says, "Well, does it have anything to do with having a skeleton or a shell?" (He was thinking endo- or exoskeleton, which they learned about).

I said, "Well, you're on the right track, but what do you think thermic means?"

He said, "Something to do with heat."

"Yep. So, go look it up."

And he gets on Google and 2 minutes later he walked back to his homework, looks at me, and says, " The gray fox is endothermic because it makes it's own body heat."

So...yeah, not having a problem with the public ed system here. Sure, some of is because I have a bright kid. But, hey, somebody whose not me or my husband taught him the meaning of endo and exo. And thermic.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:19 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,485,377 times
I shoudl mention that my son is in 3rd grade...he's 8 years old.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:35 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,184,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I shoudl mention that my son is in 3rd grade...he's 8 years old.
Great anecdote, pless.

My public-schooled 10th grader was writing an essay last night that was an analysis of factors leading up to the Battle of Khartoum in 1885. This was for her Language Arts course, by the way, not Social Studies.

Meanwhile, people are constantly telling us that public school education is all just about filling in the bubbles on superficial multiple-choice tests, and students don't learn any critical thinking or analytical skills. They just don't know what's going on in public schools, but make a quaint ideological assumption that if taxpayers are paying for it, it must not be any good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or