U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 01:14 PM

426 posts, read 2,167,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I highly doubt Ben Carter would welcome or encourage a streets of Buckhead location for the school. 60% of the students at North Atlanta are economically disadvantaged, and most of those students are bused in from other parts of the city. Putting a high school with such a high percentage of poor teenagers in the middle of an upscale shopping district is one of the stupidest things Carter could do. The criminal element that would be added to the mall is reason enough.

Student Teacher Ratio North Atlanta High School - Atlanta, Georgia - GA

Reviews from the website:

"...the students are allowed to wander the campus after-hours w/out supervision."
—Submitted by a parent

"As a student, the best way to describe North Atlanta is by stating that it is governed by paradox and contradiction. For example, the graduating class of 2009 (which had no more than 250 students) earned $16 million in scholarship money, but the composite SAT score for the whole school was 1378. There are more people who live out of zone that aren't in the magnet program than in-zone residents in the whole school."
—Submitted by a student
Just FYI, Marta runs in Buckhead and will have a route that connects between that school and a train station, no matter where APS decides to locate it. Somehow Marta runs through all the commercial districts in Buckhead. Those trains and busses brings in teens, people who can not afford cars, and the like who do not live in the area and somehow the area has remained desirable for both businesses and residents. Rest assured there will be some people walking in the Streets of Buckhead development that can't really afford the merchandise in the stores. Somehow, I think Ben Carter's dream will go on.

High Schoolers are kids. Kids of any class or race is going to look for devilment. Consider your own days at Marist. I'm sure you were no angel. People can not help what family they are born into. Alot of the kids at North Atlanta are there in an effort to transcend the class they were born into. It would be easier to paint everyone in one broad stroke but you just can't. Life is more complicated than that. BTW, there are poor Black kids on scholarship at Westminster, Lovett, Woodward, etc. Does that make those schools bad too?

Last edited by stvincent; 12-20-2010 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: typos galore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 08:14 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,185,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Retail should never be near the poor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Never!

Right! We wouldn't want them to be able to get jobs there, would we? Everyone knows that retail customer service workers are drawn exclusively from the upper income strata of society.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:26 PM

30,100 posts, read 27,821,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
Just FYI, Marta runs in Buckhead and will have a route that connects between that school and a train station, no matter where APS decides to locate it. Somehow Marta runs through all the commercial districts in Buckhead. Those trains and busses brings in teens, people who can not afford cars, and the like who do not live in the area and somehow the area has remained desirable for both businesses and residents. Rest assured there will be some people walking in the Streets of Buckhead development that can't really afford the merchandise in the stores. Somehow, I think Ben Carter's dream will go on.

High Schoolers are kids. Kids of any class or race is going to look for devilment. Consider your own days at Marist. I'm sure you were no angel. People can not help what family they are born into. Alot of the kids at North Atlanta are there in an effort to transcend the class they were born into. It would be easier to paint everyone in one broad stroke but you just can't. Life is more complicated than that. BTW, there are poor Black kids on scholarship at Westminster, Lovett, Woodward, etc. Does that make those schools bad too?

Do kids no longer go to school in their own neighborhood? I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, it just seems like that would be the simplest thing to do. The city has built many fabulous schools all over town in recent years so there should be plenty to go around.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:10 PM

4,458 posts, read 6,293,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Do kids no longer go to school in their own neighborhood? I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, it just seems like that would be the simplest thing to do. The city has built many fabulous schools all over town in recent years so there should be plenty to go around.
No Child Left Behind allows you to transfer from a low performing school to a better one in your district.

It can be out of your "zone" but you have to find your own transportation there...

Last edited by PKCorey; 12-20-2010 at 10:03 PM..

Old 12-20-2010, 09:58 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,681,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Retail should never be near the poor?
So not only should retail be forced to locate where poor people live, but now it must be forced to be near the school where the poor students are bused to on the taxpayer dollar?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post

1. MARTA may run through Buckhead, but Buckhead Village is not within easy walking distance from a MARTA train station. Getting to the Village without a car requires taking a bus. MARTA buses are a hassle, especially if it involves transfers. I highly doubt many would put up with an hour-long journey just to get to Buckhead Village. They can barely stomach the trek across Peachtree to get to Phipps from Lenox MARTA.

Come on - you're actually trying to say that a high school of 1,000 students that is 60% poor is going to have the same effect on the shopping center as a couple of MARTA buses coming through? Please. Take a look at how many people are actually on those MARTA buses in Buckhead next time you see one. See how that amount compares to the amount of students exiting North Atlanta at 3:00 PM.

2. Yes, kids of any age race and class are going to get into trouble - to an extent. I may have engaged in some underage drinking and dabbled in some pot, but you can rest assured I, nor any Marist, Woodward, Westminster, Pace, HI, Lovett, Wesleyan or (as much as I hate to say it) Pius students, both white and otherwise, ever formed gangs or partook in the felonious activities committed by lower-class, minority teenagers.

The cultural differences between a Lovett student (again - black or white) and a North Atlanta student are immense. Don't discount the influence of surroundings and peers on a teenager. The same poor black student may become an entirely different person depending on if he went to Lovett or North Atlanta.

3. It's true you can't paint everyone in the same light, but facts are facts. Poor teens are more likely to commit crime. That can't be denied. Ben Carter would need to be considered a candidate for certification and committal if he ever agreed to a North Atlanta campus at the Streets of Buckhead.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Right! We wouldn't want them to be able to get jobs there, would we? Everyone knows that retail customer service workers are drawn exclusively from the upper income strata of society.
That's a good point. However, the security burden of dealing with a school that is 60% poor in the middle of an upscale shopping district outweighs any benefit. Would we want the Streets of Buckhead to succeed and provide jobs, or would we want the shopping center to go bankrupt on account of the effects of the 3 PM dismissal every day? You can't have your cake and eat it to.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's also due to a cultural goal of appearing to have a lot of money. Along with the leased BMW and the iPhone, "being seen" as a student in a Buckhead makes people think you have the money to live there.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:22 AM

81 posts, read 265,323 times
It's funny and kind of ironic to read the suggestions about putting the new HS near or in the Streets of Buckhead. There used to be an APS High School (North Fulton High School) right down the street from the S.O.B. site. I went there for a year. It is now the Atlanta International School.

Guess we don't have to worry about Ben Carter's input any more, he's no longer associated with the project.

My opinion is that Atlanta should go back to having two High Schools on the north side. Then, take the poor demographic and district them evenly among the two schools. Then, watch the locals start sending their kids. Before long, you've got two high quality high schools with 20% or less at each one coming from lower income families.

Cobain writes like my grandfather, who was born in 1902, used to talk to me. Thankfully, I have expanded/progressed my viewpoint on diversity.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:31 AM

14,430 posts, read 23,119,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBuKev View Post
My opinion is that Atlanta should go back to having two High Schools on the north side. Then, take the poor demographic and district them evenly among the two schools. Then, watch the locals start sending their kids. Before long, you've got two high quality high schools with 20% or less at each one coming from lower income families.

This could be a good idea. I hope they follow this model, at least, with the two middle schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or