U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:33 AM

30,059 posts, read 27,720,885 times

Advertisements

It'll be great to have a new high school in Buckhead and I hope it attracts lots of local kids. Unless a strong majority of northsiders attend there wouldn't seem to be an advantage to locating it in Buckhead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 08:40 AM

14,385 posts, read 23,049,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It'll be great to have a new high school in Buckhead and I hope it attracts lots of local kids. Unless a strong majority of northsiders attend there wouldn't seem to be an advantage to locating it in Buckhead.
As mentioned before, Buckheadites are using the public schools more and more by the year. This is why they need an additional middle school--and why three of the elementary schools have "annexes."

Old 02-10-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
As mentioned before, Buckheadites are using the public schools more and more by the year. This is why they need an additional middle school--and why three of the elementary schools have "annexes."
Yep, the public elementary schools have been a favorite with the locals for many years, and the middle schools have enjoyed a good following as well. However, that has not been the case at the high school level. It would be great to see that change.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Yep, the public elementary schools have been a favorite with the locals for many years, and the middle schools have enjoyed a good following as well. However, that has not been the case at the high school level. It would be great to see that change.
But that's my point--

It started at the elementary level (been that way for a long time)--and then slowly, (and now swiftly) moved to the middle school level. There is now increased interest turning back towards the high school (due to the increased participation in the middle school).

The Sutton Middle fanfare is still relatively recent--considering.

These things take time.

It will more than likely happen at the high school soon. A very high percentage (don't know number off top of my head) of Sutton students now go on to the high school.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
It will more than likely happen at the high school soon. A very high percentage (don't know number off top of my head) of Sutton students now go on to the high school.
Well, as I say, I hope it turns out well. A new high school is an expensive proposition!

It would be interesting to see the numbers on Sutton. Obviously Buckhead is not all white but the demographic skews heavily in that direction, so that might provide some idea as to how many local kids are attending. Sutton's enrollment is:

34% Black (366)
24% Hispanic (251)
36% White (376)
3% Asian (31)

At North Atlanta High, however, the percentages are:

59% Black (666)
17% Hispanic (192)
17% White (192)
3% Asian (34)

Assuming the student population reflects the community demographic, it would appear that you're losing a substantial number of local kids when they enter high school.

If a new high school can get its numbers back in line with Sutton, that may not be a precise reflection of the community but it would be a nice balance.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Well, as I say, I hope it turns out well. A new high school is an expensive proposition!

It would be interesting to see the numbers on Sutton. Obviously Buckhead is not all white but the demographic skews heavily in that direction, so that might provide some idea as to how many local kids are attending. Sutton's enrollment is:

34% Black (366)
24% Hispanic (251)
36% White (376)
3% Asian (31)

At North Atlanta High, however, the percentages are:

59% Black (666)
17% Hispanic (192)
17% White (192)
3% Asian (34)

Assuming the student population reflects the community demographic, it would appear that you're losing a substantial number of local kids when they enter high school.

If a new high school can get its numbers back in line with Sutton, that may not be a precise reflection of the community but it would be a nice balance.
Like I said before--you need to look at trends--and things take time.

Not too long ago, Sutton Middle was only 20-25% White.

And not too long ago, North Atlanta High was 9-11% White (and I think this was without including the Bankhead population that North Atlanta High contained for a while). The fact that North Atlanta is approaching 20% White again is a big deal. And Sutton Middle is now just under 40% white!

I'm assuming your data is from at least 2009 or later, correct?

Old 02-10-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Like I said before--you need to look at trends--and things take time.

Not too long ago, Sutton Middle was only 20-25% White.

And not too long ago, North Atlanta High was 9-11% White (and I think this was without including the Bankhead population that North Atlanta High contained for a while). The fact that North Atlanta is approaching 20% White again is a big deal. And Sutton Middle is now just under 40% white!

I'm assuming your data is from at least 2009 or later, correct?
Yes, the 2009-2010 school year.

I think you're right about trends. I'd love to see APS develop at least one (and hopefully several) truly outstanding public high schools. Something on the level of the great public high schools of New York, Whitney Young in Chicago, Lowell in San Francisco or Thomas Jefferson in Virginia.

In my opinion you're almost always better off with balance than a monoculture, or a strictly two-race situation. That's not "diversity." Sutton has a nice mix of Hispanic, Asian, multiracial kids along with white and black students.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:07 AM

This sucks...

Atlanta chooses new Buckhead high school site *| ajc.com

They should have tried better to find a more central location.

Whatever.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:23 AM

I agree, although I think it was a forgone conclusion once the East Andrews site was taken off the table.

So much for the idea of creating an urban high school. I guess that's not how we do things here.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I agree, although I think it was a forgone conclusion once the East Andrews site was taken off the table.

So much for the idea of creating an urban high school. I guess that's not how we do things here.
Your earlier remark about how it would be "colossal mistake" if they located there keeps going through my head.

I still think they could have found an urban location for the high school in the Lindbergh area.

The East Andrews site was just perfect.

The Streets of Buckhead site was a strong second.

The Colonial Homes site is also good.

And then the Lindbergh area.

"Buckhead High"

Sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or