Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 10:31 AM

8 posts, read 33,871 times

Advertisements

I might be moving to Atlanta and am considering these neighborhoods for their proximity to midtown, I-85 and their character. Are these areas safe? Are the new apartment buildings in that area safe? What about the homes?
Is this an area you would recommend?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 10:51 AM

697 posts, read 3,010,533 times
Great areas, generally safe. Anyplace in the Atlanta area there's a certain amount of property crime (burglaries and car break-ins), and there's probably a bit more in in-town neighborhoods like those than in the far affluent suburban areas, but (IMO) not enough to negate the significant advantages of living there. Piedmont Heights is probably the sketchiest of the areas you mention, followed by the parts of Morningside-Lenox Park closest to the major streets (e.g., Cheshire Bridge, Monroe, Piedmont).

Old 02-04-2010, 01:28 PM

23,347 posts, read 43,816,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackensack View Post
Great areas, generally safe. Anyplace in the Atlanta area there's a certain amount of property crime (burglaries and car break-ins), and there's probably a bit more in in-town neighborhoods like those than in the far affluent suburban areas, but (IMO) not enough to negate the significant advantages of living there. Piedmont Heights is probably the sketchiest of the areas you mention, followed by the parts of Morningside-Lenox Park closest to the major streets (e.g., Cheshire Bridge, Monroe, Piedmont).
Agreed, although all of these neighborhoods are pretty light on apartment buildings.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:58 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,382,315 times
In the area around piedmont park, you might be able to rent a condo rather than an apartment. I would recommend making a trip down to Atlanta to check things out before you commit to a move.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:40 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,237,422 times
But there are some really awesome historic apartment/condos in Ansley Park...off The Prado/Inman Cir/Montgomery Ferry roads, near Ansley Park Golf Course.

I did a 17 mile run this past Sunday that took me through there and I saw them.

Also, if you want really historic neat old apartments look in Inman Park, especially off Edgewood or Euclid.

Midtown is not the only part of Atlanta with character and stuff to do within walking distance. Consider Virginia-Highland and the area around Little 5 Points, as well (Inman Park is near L5P).

Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 AM

Thank you... so would you feel safe to walk or jog on Monroe or Montgomery Ferry Roads in the evening or early morning? What about cycling? Is it feasible to ride your bike to Piedmont Park? I'm into cycling. What can you tell me about Gotham Park, Yonah Park, Ansley Park and Winn Park? Does the Ansley Park strip mall have a 24-hour Publix or Kroger? Is it a safe area?

Old 02-05-2010, 09:18 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,237,422 times
I feel perfectly safe running in any of those neighborhoods at just about any time. I do sometimes run at night in my neighborhood (Candler Park - near L5P) but mostly I don't. But not because I don't feel safe but because street lighting is poor. I did just get a running headlamp so that might change. I certainly feel safe running in early morning. When I run that kind of long distance I often start out before dawn.

For cycling, there is a large cycling community here. In fact, Atlanta has a really large active community of runners and cyclists. While people complain about Atlanta not being a cycling town it sure doesn't seem to stop anybody for doing it. Myself, I often bike to work.. You could definitely hook up with a group of cyclists (in fact, Sorella Cycling is a women's cycling group that meets up in Decatur, which is close - google Sorella).

I don't know anything about those other parks other than Ansley and Piedmont (now I will have to plan a run through Gotham, Yonah, and Winn so I can check them out). But you can definitely cycle to those two. Also, we have PATH (PATH Foundation) where a lot of people cycle.

The Ansley strip mall is a nice shopping center and it does have a 24 hour Publix (or maybe it's a Kroger - I forget). I would say it's a safe area.

All of these areas are very low in confrontational crime. Most suffer from what I think is an expected amount of property crime - break ins to your car mostly and sometimes into a house when no one is there.

I am a 35 year old female and I walk/run/bike all over these parts of town and never feel threatened. Of course, this is a city so I always try to stay situationally aware.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:03 PM

Thanks for all that great information... sounds like a great place to be while still being close to Midtown and a short drive away from Buckhead. Has anyone heard anything of the new Gables apartment complex on Monroe Dr.? Would you avoid it, recommend it?

Old 02-05-2010, 03:03 PM

57 posts, read 143,008 times
I live in the new Gables complex and LOVE it. It is in the perfect location as far as being close to Midtown and Buckhead, and the park is a bike ride away. Also, the Beltline is across the street so whenever that takes off you won't have to ride in the road . The service here is wonderful and the amenities are top notch. Let me know if you want more info.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 8,869 times
I just sent in my deposit to the Gables Midtown. Can you tell me a bit more about it? My mother (mid 60's) will be staying for part of the year. She was concerned about the area (especially the area when you make a right from the entrance). Any insight would be very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta