U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:47 AM

71 posts, read 177,642 times

Advertisements

I got my license renrewed in January and never got the plastic one in the mail. I applied for a lost/stolen license about 2 weeks ago to see if they'll send me another one. When I called, they said the first one they sent never got returned or anything...sooo...who knows where it was sent. Hopefully I'll get my real one this time.

On the subject of "using" the temporaty one, I've had no issue buying smokes or alcohol. Heck, my butt even got a ticket in DeKalb and when I handed my (now expired) temp. license to the officer, he didn't have a problem with it noting that it's the same number and information and will see if there are any "problems" when he runs it. The only "problem" I had was trying to get some Claritin-D (box of 5) from CVS and the dingbat wouldn't let me buy it because it was expired...yet, he handed me a perscription of a controlled substance without checking my ID or having a problem with it being expired for the perscription....go figure. The only area I haven't tried is the airport...and I better have my final copy by the time I fly to Portland at the end of May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 01:24 PM

2,298 posts, read 3,660,561 times
Personally this was the dumbest thing they ever came up with IMO. I mean it used to take all of 30 minutes to go into the DMV and get another license.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:38 PM

2,489 posts, read 4,632,054 times
Use the paper license when you need to operate a vehicle and use your passport when you need to do anything requiring a photo ID.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:05 AM

34 posts, read 118,159 times
Default doesn't work

I was issued a paper temp license when I went to the DMV a few weeks ago. I asked her if it could be used in all situations because I was travelling a few days later.

Well, she was wrong, because when I went to the Enterprise counter to rent a car while on vacation, they denied renting one to me because it was their "policy" to not rent one to people with a temp. paper license. I went another rental company counter and got one just fine but they potentially put me in a really bad spot not being able to rent a car.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:09 PM

947 posts, read 2,847,505 times
I got the temporaty one last July and got the real one within two weeks.

I think the reason why they are doing this is so they could check you out, etc.

I still have the temporary one in case I lost my real one.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:33 AM
w42

1 posts, read 1,933 times
Default none yet

I got my paper one in mid Dec. By late Feb it had long expired and I was tired of waiting; I called and was told my permanent was "undeliverable"; it had been returned and destroyed. I paid $5 online to get a new one. It has now been nearly a month. I called and was told it went out 2 weeks ago. I am not at a weird address and get lots of other mail.

On calling back I was told I should go in person to the office, get a new paper one, arrange for my permanent license to come to that office, then return there to pick it up. This is becoming a full time job.

It would have been very nice to wait the extra 30 minutes and get my plastic one at the office.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:32 PM

4,719 posts, read 6,759,817 times
Can you say potential Identity Theft? Find out if you should file a police report about a lost license and check your credit reports at https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

When you check your reports make sure you download a copy. Those license went somewhere.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,615 times
Default Complaint against the DDS

Here are the links where you can file for complaint:

[URL]http://www.dds.ga.gov/docs/forms/ComplaintForm12.09.pdf[/URL] OR
[URL]https://online.dds.ga.gov/feedback/[/URL]

If enough people complain, hopefully that would get the DDS Commissioner to do something to streamline the workflow or make changes to better their work ethic!

Old 08-07-2016, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 636 times
I'll have to Drive to Nashville, TN for and stay there for about a week using the interim GA Driver's License. Has anybody had any experience driving out-of-state with it?

Old 08-08-2016, 03:33 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,954,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2016 View Post
I'll have to Drive to Nashville, TN for and stay there for about a week using the interim GA Driver's License. Has anybody had any experience driving out-of-state with it?
You're just talking about the temp paper license they give you to use until you get your plastic one in the mail, right? The number and your info is the same so even if you get pulled over after the temp expiration date, the officer will run it and see the number is valid.

Your only real issue could be expiration date if you need to provide valid ID for buying drinks, renting a room, or what not. People in other states don't care what it is made out of as long as it has not expired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or