U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:23 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,008,728 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why southern states have so many directly elected officials. Most of those positions should probably be consolidated at least, and it probably isn't unreasonable for the legislature to give executive power to appoint. State government might run more smoothly if it more closely replicated the federal executive branch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 09:06 AM

23,125 posts, read 36,385,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I don't understand why southern states have so many directly elected officials. Most of those positions should probably be consolidated at least, and it probably isn't unreasonable for the legislature to give executive power to appoint. State government might run more smoothly if it more closely replicated the federal executive branch.
HAHAHAHAHA that was funny tell us another one

Old 02-06-2010, 07:33 PM

8,059 posts, read 10,540,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I'm with LD. Great post and I agree with you totally until you get to the last sentence. The terms "Federal Government" (or "State Government") and "smoothly run" should never appear in the same sentence.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:58 PM

705 posts, read 966,187 times
A lot of the constitutional officers were created so long ago that many of these positions are outdated and obsolete. An executive and governing body in the form of a governor and legislative body are elected, they need to run the government without all the extra elected positions. Just like a mayor and city council. We don't a director of a street and bridge dept., a personnel director, parks and rec dirtector, secertaries, custodians, etc. There are already elected officials that should be placing people in director or department head positions. If someone in one of these positions dosen't cut it, they're out way before election time. The fewest amount of elected officials seems liks the best way to go.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:00 PM

314 posts, read 553,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
perdue isnt republican. he is like that big bank executive/communist constantly trying to grease his own pocket and intruduce extra fees to the consumers.

anybody remember what the outcome of his 10million bad loans/business ventures came out as? of course you dont. it was never heard of again.

i've met him in person (some public function diring his 1st term). he is likable enough but is totally incompatible with the direction GA has taken since 1995. He would be well suited for a mayor of temple ga or something of that composition and magnitude.

it is funny when people want to turn this into another reps vs dems nonsense.

Not to nitpick, but every time a republican fails in office everyone disowns them and says they're not a republican anymore

I don't know how many times I've heard bush called 'liberal' by republicans that don't like how his presidency ending up. Putting everyone into two categories is pretty tricky, but he's definitely on the republican end of the spectrum. Just an inept republican by most people's standards

Old 02-07-2010, 05:58 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,008,728 times
I am no fan of the federal government, however I do support a strong executive branch. The executive branches of state governments in the south is very weak compared to other states, and I believe that it could contribute to the perceived disfunctionality of the Georgia state government.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:58 AM

7,859 posts, read 15,200,106 times
I wouldn't say that state gov't would run more "smoothly" but I don't think adding infighting and political difference in the executive branch IN ADDITION TO the checks and balances between the branches helps. The people elect their Gov. That Gov is the head of the executive branch and should be allowed, as in most states, to pick his cabinet and drive his agenda.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:35 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,047,440 times
I don't know all that much about politics in Georgia, but my guess is that they're very similar to politics in Alabama. The constitutions in many southern states were drawn up in favor of timber and agricultural interests. (And when I say "agricultural" I'm not talking about family farmers. I'm talking about huge ag-industries.) There was a deliberate effort to disenfranchise blacks and poor whites. Which is why there's so little home rule. Practically all issues have to go to a state-wide vote. Which is foolish and wastes tons of money. I would imagine that a weak executive branch puts the power in the hands of the various ruling interest groups. "The people" are easily mollified when these people start waving the Confederate flag or talking about the Bible or better yet, race. Of course they can't be so blatant about race these days, but when they talk disparagingly about "Atlanta" you can definitely understand what they mean.

In Alabama I can remember working on a campaign to have a constitutional convention. (Alabama's constitution was written in 1901 and is probably one of the most blatantly racist legal documents ever written. It's been amended nearly a thousand times and at last count was more than 300k words long). One of the issues was removing the sales tax on food. Obviously, this is a move that favors poor people who tend to spend a greater percentage of their earnings on food. Keep in mind the major proponent of this was Bob Riley a conservative Christian Republican. He actually said that the Alabama constitution was un-Christian in that it was unfairly biased against the poor. The national Christian coalition was in favor, but the Alabama Christian coalition in concert with the Alabama Farm Bureau was opposed. Guess who won? Despite the fact that Alabama is full of poor people, they were the main ones to vote against it. One woman told me she trusted politicians from a hundred years ago more than she does the ones today. I couldn't help but to point out that those politicians had made sure she couldn't even vote. She said she still trusted them more.

Is it going to change anytime soon. I'm thinking not. There is still a segment of the population that can be persuaded by small-mindedness, and a good portion of what happens in these states still pertain to race.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:04 PM

3,528 posts, read 4,386,494 times
I remember something in the press about Guvner Sonny receiving some loans at favorable interest rates for his grain-elevator business(What's a grain elevator?). Aside from that, his lousy transportation policy, and his penchant for using petty southern wedge issues to get elected, he hasn't been the worst Governor, I guess. He has been relatively moderate by far, "relatively" being the operative word here.

It could be worst. We could've gotten some retro Dixiecrat-style revisionists in office. But let me step back lest I be accused of being an alarmist.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:49 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,994,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I remember something in the press about Guvner Sonny receiving some loans at favorable interest rates for his grain-elevator business(What's a grain elevator?).
A grain elevator is a storage facility for grain, sometimes combined with a drying facility (like for corn). You see them in small towns all over the midwest, and I'm sure you can find them in some places in Georgia as well.

Grain elevator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google search for grain+elevator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or