U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 AM

7,858 posts, read 15,192,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
We could've gotten some retro Dixiecrat-style revisionists in office.
Right, because unless the person is a left wing liberal who wants to tax and spend, they're automatically a racist who wants to turn the clock back and reinstitute segregation, right? So all the folks who don't wish to vote for the Democrats are just closet racists, right?

Give that tune a rest, will you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 08:49 AM

3,528 posts, read 4,383,529 times
Liberal, Liberal, Liberal, Democrat, Democrat, Democrat. Geez louise, Why don't YOU give it a rest? Such a broken record, you are.

Maybe if you could put down the partisan blinders for ONE minute then maybe you would realize that I am not just some rank & file Democrat hack. But I guess when someone says ONE thing that totally goes against your whole POV, then you're just fine with going into Limbaugh attack mode.

Can someone say "one-hit-wonder"? I knew you could!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Right, because unless the person is a left wing liberal who wants to tax and spend, they're automatically a racist who wants to turn the clock back and reinstitute segregation, right? So all the folks who don't wish to vote for the Democrats are just closet racists, right?

Give that tune a rest, will you?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
then you're just fine with going into Limbaugh attack mode.
I don't listen to Limbaugh. Hit a nerve did I? I'm sure Greg will be along soon to tell us to get back on track....so I'll bring us back to GA.

No one seems to be able to provide any real specifics of things that Perdue has done significantly differently from other GA Governors on down the line over the last 25 years. I lived here under such hacks as Joe Frank Harris. Zell was a man of action and I supported and voted for him despite the fact that he was a Democrat.

My point is that some of us seem to vote down party lines and find nothing but negatives based on party affiliation. Perdue isn't perfect, but what has seriously changed in GA for such negative in the last 8 years (that has been directly in his control) such that we can put labels on him like "ruin" the state, etc? What did Roy Barnes do in his four years that makes everyone so eager to see a redux of the Barnes years?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:45 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,178,613 times
Quote:
No one seems to be able to provide any real specifics of things that Perdue has done significantly differently from other GA Governors on down the line over the last 25 years.
Isn't the knock against Perdue more about the things he didn't do? The times appear to demand that some things be done significantly different from what other GA Governors did in the last 25 years, don't they?

Perdue neglected Atlanta transportation problems and failed to solve the water rights problem with our neighboring states. Sure, his predecessors didn't fix those things either, but the need to do so has become more pressing. Georgia really needs a Governor who will actually make progress on these issues, even if that would break precedent with our gubernatorial tradition.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Isn't the knock against Perdue more about the things he didn't do? The times appear to demand that some things be done significantly different from what other GA Governors did in the last 25 years, don't they?

Perdue neglected Atlanta transportation problems and failed to solve the water rights problem with our neighboring states. Sure, his predecessors didn't fix those things either, but the need to do so has become more pressing. Georgia really needs a Governor who will actually make progress on these issues, even if that would break precedent with our gubernatorial tradition.
Agree to some degree....but again...didn't Barnes have an opportunity to solve these same issues? Zell? Joe Frank? George Busbee? Of course they did...and none of them did anything, so why is it that Perdue is singled out for "ruining" the state?

Now some want another 4 years of Barnes? With a Republican legislature (he had a Dem majority last time) he's all of a sudden going to be able to do so much more, right?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:56 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,045,494 times
Quote:
My point is that some of us seem to vote down party lines and find nothing but negatives based on party affiliation.
I can't speak for anyone else in this thread, but I've avidly supported at least one Republican governor, and one who was a conservative Christian to boot. The Democrat was in favor of the lottery which I believe is a unfair tax on the poor, and the Republican was in favor of revising Alabama's tax structure. I've never voted a straight ticket in my life and probably never will. I will probably not be involved in Georgia politics on the level I was in my previous state because I don't intend to be here for long, but I'm certainly no yellow dog.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:58 AM

3,528 posts, read 4,383,529 times
Quote:
I don't listen to Limbaugh. Hit a nerve did I? I'm sure Greg will be along soon to tell us to get back on track....so I'll bring us back to GA.
Now you're being patronizing. You responded to me, remember? I am just matching one flippant remark with another.

Quote:
My point is that some of us seem to vote down party lines and find nothing but negatives based on party affiliation. Perdue isn't perfect, but what has seriously changed in GA for such negative in the last 8 years (that has been directly in his control) such that we can put labels on him like "ruin" the state, etc? What did Roy Barnes do in his four years that makes everyone so eager to see a redux of the Barnes years?
When you say that, aren't you really talking about yourself? You keep throwing out political party affiliation at almost every opportunity.

With me I try to keep it all about the ideology and ideals & what I like or dislike about them, because in truth, political parties can & have change their ideals & ideology at any given point in time. I think you know that, but for some reason you keep trying to make it all about the party affiliation. Just my opinion, of course.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:03 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,983,750 times
It seems to me, being a relative newcomer to Georgia who isn't familiar with anything other than recent history and who isn't familiar with long-term trends, that the State of Georgia *today* has several major issues on its plate.

Some of those issues have to do with transportation, some with water management, and some with finances.

Does it really matter what the history is?

Regardless of whether or not Governor Sonny Perdue has acted the same as or differently from his predecessors, the fact remains that some sort of change from the status quo needs to occur in order to more adequately address those issues. What's happening now has obviously not been sufficient, or we wouldn't be finding ourselves in this situation.

I can forgive the financial situation somewhat, since many (if not most) states are in a similar situation for various reasons. But the latter two are not so easily defensible, at least in my opinion.

Party affiliations really don't matter if state government is so fragmented that cohesive action can't be undertaken. Steps to reduce that fragmentation may be useful, at least to a point.

This whining about whether Sonny was different from Barnes, etc., is not really meaningful. Is it?

The issue appears (to me) to be the system as it stands, since it seems to encourage Atlanta versus outstate impasses, and not just the person wearing the Governor hat. Perhaps movement should be made to change the structure of Georgia government to more accurately represent its population and not just assume that all counties in the state should be given equal status.

If a minority of people are able to continually veto projects that are useful for the Atlanta metro (and perhaps also for Georgia as a whole) just because of their own narrow local interests, Georgia has a serious problem.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:09 PM

[quote=rcsteiner;12811096]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Party affiliations really don't matter if state government is so fragmented that cohesive action can't be undertaken. Steps to reduce that fragmentation may be useful, at least to a point.

This whining about whether Sonny was different from Barnes, etc., is not really meaningful. Is it?
I think you're right, and hence my original comment that the plan put forward by the Gov makes sense to reduce that fragmentation.

Others have jumped in on this and other threads to berate Perdue and go so far as to accuse him of "ruining" the state, so the comparison to previous Governors is relevant only to the point that Perdue hasn't "ruined" anything, and his lack of accomplishment on complex issues such as water rights is no better or worse than Roy Barnes or any of the other Governors who have been in office for the last 30 years.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:16 PM

6 posts, read 12,152 times
You guys don't know what ruin is. Obviously Georgia has issues. Any state growing the way it has would.

But caution- the nation has states which actually are in ruin. And all of us will pay the price one way or the other. GA isn't on that list, yet. And it's not Georgia's 'wisdom' that kept it off, but structural global forces.

Were lucky and as the saying goes, better to be lucky than good. GA governors/lawmakers would be wise to heed this friendly warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or