Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 03:02 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlber View Post
structural global forces
Is Luke Skywalker involved? The trilateral commission?

Seriously, don't you think that local and state officials, along with the Chamber of Commerce and business leaders haven't worked very hard over the last 30 years to bring new investment and business to the area? The fact that Atlanta won the Olympics and has succeeded in attracting investment, business, and hundreds of thousands of new residents has been no accident or freak coincidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 06:43 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
For me, my major grips is with the fact that there already is money earmarked for items like the Lovejoy Train & yet Sonny and the State Legislature for whatever reason will not move on it. Also, why won't they remove the 50/50 funding rule for MARTA? These are things that do not require any more additional funding.

What other reason is there for the intransigence when it comes to items that been provided for with funds? Heck these folks had the nerve to decide that any reasonable legislation on transportation wouldn't even be put to a statewide vote until 2012. It's like they have to twist that stuck dagger to Atlanta as much as possible before finally pulling out.

That has been my issue all along with the current group of politicians in power. But I guess SOME folks will simple try to excuse even that nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
It seems to me, being a relative newcomer to Georgia who isn't familiar with anything other than recent history and who isn't familiar with long-term trends, that the State of Georgia *today* has several major issues on its plate.

Some of those issues have to do with transportation, some with water management, and some with finances.

Does it really matter what the history is?

Regardless of whether or not Governor Sonny Perdue has acted the same as or differently from his predecessors, the fact remains that some sort of change from the status quo needs to occur in order to more adequately address those issues. What's happening now has obviously not been sufficient, or we wouldn't be finding ourselves in this situation.

I can forgive the financial situation somewhat, since many (if not most) states are in a similar situation for various reasons. But the latter two are not so easily defensible, at least in my opinion.

Party affiliations really don't matter if state government is so fragmented that cohesive action can't be undertaken. Steps to reduce that fragmentation may be useful, at least to a point.

This whining about whether Sonny was different from Barnes, etc., is not really meaningful. Is it?

The issue appears (to me) to be the system as it stands, since it seems to encourage Atlanta versus outstate impasses, and not just the person wearing the Governor hat. Perhaps movement should be made to change the structure of Georgia government to more accurately represent its population and not just assume that all counties in the state should be given equal status.

If a minority of people are able to continually veto projects that are useful for the Atlanta metro (and perhaps also for Georgia as a whole) just because of their own narrow local interests, Georgia has a serious problem.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:07 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
For me, my major grips is with the fact that there already is money earmarked for items like the Lovejoy Train & yet Sonny and the State Legislature for whatever reason will not move on it. Also, why won't they remove the 50/50 funding rule for MARTA? These are things that do not require any more additional funding.

What other reason is there for the intransigence when it comes to items that been provided for with funds? Heck these folks had the nerve to decide that any reasonable legislation on transportation wouldn't even be put to a statewide vote until 2012. It's like they have to twist that stuck dagger to Atlanta as much as possible before finally pulling out.

That has been my issue all along with the current group of politicians in power. But I guess SOME folks will simple try to excuse even that nonsense.

THANK YOU! Here is my main problem.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:46 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Also, why won't they remove the 50/50 funding rule for MARTA? These are things that do not require any more additional funding.
I actually agree with you mostly on the 50/50 thing, although again, it could have been done at any time previously by another administration and wasn't, but having said that, the current administration turned a deaf ear.

The only rationale I can put out there is the concern that if the capital restrictions are modified or lifted, that MARTA would come to the state with its hands out for new capital funds if required. All the talk about extending MARTA here or there means that funding will be required. I can also understand the state wanting MARTA to raise fares and try to solve the issue by other means first.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:14 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I actually agree with you mostly on the 50/50 thing, although again, it could have been done at any time previously by another administration and wasn't, but having said that, the current administration turned a deaf ear.
Fair enough. This is probably the best I will ever get from you as far as a concession on the MARTA issue & who dropped the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The only rationale I can put out there is the concern that if the capital restrictions are modified or lifted, that MARTA would come to the state with its hands out for new capital funds if required. All the talk about extending MARTA here or there means that funding will be required. I can also understand the state wanting MARTA to raise fares and try to solve the issue by other means first.
This last statement of yours is where you and me will have to part ways in terms of an agreement. MARTA is a public good as far as I'm concerned, no different than the roads that we use.

The state SHOULD be supporting it in some sort of capacity. The amount of involvement can be left up to the two political parties to hatch out, but DEFINITELY there should be state involvement. If our city had the kind of density of other metropolises like Tokyo, then maybe privatizing would be possible.

Unfortunately Atlanta & the south's history has nullified that possibility in the bud. Until this city & the state leadership can get a handle on what sort of living patterns should be encouraged for the city, MARTA should have some kind of consistent public subsidy for the time being.

Also, MARTA has tried raising fares, it has used ad-wrapping on its buses, and now it is attempting to try this new distance-price fare system. There is not much else this transit system can do to gain profits other than to price out the very people that it was built to transport in the first place... and that would be MOST inhumane, cruel, & evil.

My opinion, take it or leave it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: