U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:11 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,780,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
It's not that simple. Afonega clearly stated a preference for being able to commute to other population centers or heavily populated regions within a day's drive. Now while it is true that Dallas is within five hours of three major Texas cities, as well as Oklahoma City, Atlanta is within a days drive of several major metro areas such as Nashville, Memphis, Jacksonville, Raleigh, and Birmingham.

Additionally the western half of the US--especially the areas immediately west of Dallas--are sparsely populated, thus requiring very long drives to reach a city like Albuquerque or even Dallas.
well yeah. dallas sits within the eastern cluster of cities, but out west albuquerque certainly doesn't. of course there will be longer distances

Quote:
I agree that both cities share a similar advantage in regards to accessibility to other places via air travel, but Atlanta is definitely moreso within reach of a wider variety of regions and urban areas via car.
i never argued that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 03:14 AM

14 posts, read 34,854 times
Wow, a lot of posts after my last visit here.

Lot's of good stuff related to Northern sub urbs of Atlanta and taxation. Just what I have been looking for

However, you can stop arguing about distances to interesting places or terrain differences. Like I already posted earlier, we have been in both places and on both of these aspects Atlanta is definitely better place for us. We are one of those hyperactive families, who can do two different amusement parks per day and jump to another city on next. And we really like a lot about nature, parks, mountains, rivers and so on. So it's not only about artificial attractions.

But there are also other aspects on the selection and mostly those are schools and cost of living. I even think that schools might be the biggest thing for us. I also want to keep my commute to less than 25 minutes each direction. All these three things seems to favor Dallas

Since we are family of four and our children are small, we find the east coast and Florida attractions (out of which we also have already A LOT of experience) much more convenient. Weekend trips with car would be our choice for most of the traveling. And also like someone said our flight trips would be mostly my work related travel inside US or to Europe visiting relatives. And since I also hate stop overs in JFK, O'Hare seems to work better in direct connections to major European hubs on that matter.

I have tried to find some comparable statistics about public schooling system grades between different states. I really would like to understand can I find as good public schools from Roswell/Alpharetta as from Coppell for example? I mean preschools and elementary. Or is private only option in North Atlanta? Our public schooling system here is one of the best in whole world. For example I was educated already in school about JFK murdered in Dallas as well as big presence of MLK in Atlanta

I have sent some applications to positions in both destinations. So we might be either place before end of the year.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:26 AM

14,406 posts, read 23,073,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the jayman View Post
Wow, a lot of posts after my last visit here.

Lot's of good stuff related to Northern sub urbs of Atlanta and taxation. Just what I have been looking for

However, you can stop arguing about distances to interesting places or terrain differences. Like I already posted earlier, we have been in both places and on both of these aspects Atlanta is definitely better place for us. We are one of those hyperactive families, who can do two different amusement parks per day and jump to another city on next. And we really like a lot about nature, parks, mountains, rivers and so on. So it's not only about artificial attractions.

But there are also other aspects on the selection and mostly those are schools and cost of living. I even think that schools might be the biggest thing for us. I also want to keep my commute to less than 25 minutes each direction. All these three things seems to favor Dallas

Since we are family of four and our children are small, we find the east coast and Florida attractions (out of which we also have already A LOT of experience) much more convenient. Weekend trips with car would be our choice for most of the traveling. And also like someone said our flight trips would be mostly my work related travel inside US or to Europe visiting relatives. And since I also hate stop overs in JFK, O'Hare seems to work better in direct connections to major European hubs on that matter.

I have tried to find some comparable statistics about public schooling system grades between different states. I really would like to understand can I find as good public schools from Roswell/Alpharetta as from Coppell for example? I mean preschools and elementary. Or is private only option in North Atlanta? Our public schooling system here is one of the best in whole world. For example I was educated already in school about JFK murdered in Dallas as well as big presence of MLK in Atlanta

I have sent some applications to positions in both destinations. So we might be either place before end of the year.
the jayman,

As mentioned earlier on this thread, there are so many excellent public school options in Roswell, Alpharetta, and Dunwoody.

If you are considering the Northside of Metro Atlanta, and one of the only reasons you would choose Dallas over Atlanta is due to the public schools--well, then your choice is pretty easy. Atlanta has great schools and everything else you'll be looking for.

(I'm starting to wonder what's giving you this dire impression of Northside Atlanta public schools...)

Old 03-05-2010, 02:10 AM

14 posts, read 34,854 times
Of course the final decision will depend a lot in what kind of positions I'm able the get in in each place. My wife's friend in Kennesaw has her children in private schools (she is a professor in one of the metro's universities) and as overall GA public schools get bad rep all around. Maybe the variance is then huge and those schools districts will be much better. But need to look more of it.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the jayman View Post
Of course the final decision will depend a lot in what kind of positions I'm able the get in in each place. My wife's friend in Kennesaw has her children in private schools (she is a professor in one of the metro's universities) and as overall GA public schools get bad rep all around. Maybe the variance is then huge and those schools districts will be much better. But need to look more of it.

Most of the public schools in the Kennesaw area are actually good/great.

I may be other reasons she has her children in private schools--or false/misinformed impressions.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,016,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Most of the public schools in the Kennesaw area are actually good/great.

I may be other reasons she has her children in private schools--or false/misinformed impressions.
Beofre we moved here we heard all the rumors of "bad" schools in the Atlanta area. I did my research (greatschools.net and some other sites) visited schools and spoke with parents in the area. We ended up in East Cobb (zip 30062 but comprable to Roswell and other Northern burbs). I have to say I find the schools here to be as good if not better than our highly touted Massachusetts school my kids previously attended. In addition, my child's curriculum in some areas is almost a full year ahead of my sisters kids who attend a very well regarded Northeastern school. The standards are very high and with extreme parental and community support our schools have been able to add many "perks" such as foreign language instruction beginning in kindergarten, very up to date technology, and a fantastic music and science program. Please disregard the rumors and look at the facts.

We looked extensively at relocating to the Dallas area fairly recently. When I compared apples to apples (the areas we would consider vs where we are now including the schools, test scores etc) I found almost no difference except for all the geographical benefits the Atlanta area has to offer. Ultimately you have to chose what works best for your family so my point is that you should not exclude the Atlanta area based on the schools.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
Beofre we moved here we heard all the rumors of "bad" schools in the Atlanta area. I did my research (greatschools.net and some other sites) visited schools and spoke with parents in the area. We ended up in East Cobb (zip 30062 but comprable to Roswell and other Northern burbs). I have to say I find the schools here to be as good if not better than our highly touted Massachusetts school my kids previously attended. In addition, my child's curriculum in some areas is almost a full year ahead of my sisters kids who attend a very well regarded Northeastern school. The standards are very high and with extreme parental and community support our schools have been able to add many "perks" such as foreign language instruction beginning in kindergarten, very up to date technology, and a fantastic music and science program. Please disregard the rumors and look at the facts.

We looked extensively at relocating to the Dallas area fairly recently. When I compared apples to apples (the areas we would consider vs where we are now including the schools, test scores etc) I found almost no difference except for all the geographical benefits the Atlanta area has to offer. Ultimately you have to chose what works best for your family so my point is that you should not exclude the Atlanta area based on the schools.

Well stated post, Lady Kad.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:42 AM

1,804 posts, read 3,799,883 times
Dallas, Houston, San Antonio better known as the Texas Triangle on major interstates 10,20,35 and 45.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:00 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,016,700 times
To the original poster who asked about Coppell, TX vs Atlanta schools. My children will attend Pope High school in East Cobb 30062..the average SAT score is 1656..Coppell 1653. Coppell ACT scores which for 2009 were 23.7. Pope's score for an average was 24.3. When we looked at Coppell for a relo situation as I said before when we compared apples to apples in terms of schools our East Cobb schools were as good or better. Lassiter and Walton also in East Cobb have similar or higher scores.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:11 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,381,884 times
Default Right back at ya'

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
My only main disagreement is this notion that the further South of the Northern Suburbs is more trouble(crime,taxes,spotty neighborhoods).
There are several areas that are the same or even safer and with less taxes AND without a boatload of "spotty neighborhoods" than those areas.Peachtree City,Fayetteville,Newnan,Douglasville,Marietta,Con yers etc...
That's not the "further South" part we are talking about. We are talking South to say, I dunno, College Park? After that, things get a bit easier and yes, those areas you mention are nice....all couple of them...and let's not forget, Clayton County, the home of non-accredited schools, albeit temporary status, doesn't "evoke" a prime destination? Couple that with their bus service about to go away and you get the idea, folks will be movign on into Fayetteville, P'tree City, etc.....

No, I think if I were wrong, housing values wouldn't be higher on the North side versus the South side without reason. I would politely stick to my logic as it makes sense. The preponderance of jobs reside on the Northern part of the city, commuting from say Fayetteville to Norcross, Buckhead, Perimeter, Alpharetta, Roswell, East Cobb, Marietta, ad nauseum??? Pack a lunch, Zanex, and prepare yourself for the "voyage".

You can't compare the two. No slam to the South side, it's quite nice down there, just not enough of it, and not enough jobs to support it. If I am wrong, explain the density of traffic on the North versus the South???

As far as the middle, they seem to be going anywhere BUT there to live???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or