U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 07:21 PM

23,125 posts, read 36,362,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
No, but I am saying that what I see here ... in the Atlanta suburbs ... is new to me as a Twin Cities suburbanite. Don't believe me? Spend some time up there. Heck, just compare general crime rates. Some of the crap I've seen down here in five short years really has me shaking my head...

Universal behavior? Maybe in your world....?
Never mind...I've heard it all before...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 07:41 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,178,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Are you actually trying to lay this behavior at the feet of Southerners? I'm sure this is a fairly universal behavior...to say otherwise is downright insulting.
But in my experience, widespread acceptance, even endorsement, of tax evasion and other forms of "gaming the system" definitely is not universal. Sure, you can find cheats anywhere, but not in the numbers there are in the US, to judge by all the people in Washington who get tripped by it, and the steady trickle of Georgia public officials caught abusing the public trust, and the common statements of approval of individual tax cheating, e.g. the one on this thread that started this side discussion. My teenager's Sunday school teacher very recently stated that not paying any taxes when you have a cash business is the way to go, in Sunday school. I'm not making this up. (In fact, I still haven't decided whether to complain about that one. The teen doesn't want me to make waves).

You and Mr. Steiner can argue about whether it's just Southerners who are dishonest, or all Americans, if you like. It strikes me as a logical consequence of disdain for government and the preference for being individually free to better one's lot. Perhaps some who hate government regard ripping it off as a great American virtue.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:59 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,983,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Never mind...I've heard it all before...
Whatever. That doesn't make it untrue. It might be "human nature", but that doesn't make it right, and I'm glad some areas of the country don't have to put up with the same kind of garbage on a regular basis.

Why you appear to excuse it as acceptible behavior I don't understand, either, and in my eyes such an accepting attitude is part of the problem.

No wonder this area has so many issues. Folks don't give a ****.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:22 AM

186 posts, read 465,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
just thought i'd clear up some of these MISCONCEPTIONS about dallas-fort worth before this thread goes any further

1. dallas is really not all that flat. the terrain actually varies from slightly rolling to rolling hills. and it actually gets pretty rugged around the southwest suburbs (cedar hill, duncanville)...you could also drive over into east texas towns like tyler and palestine, where you have the trees you'll find in atlanta and many of the hills as well

2. dallas is less than 5 hrs away from the ouachita mountains in arkansas. and they're just as stunning as much of the appalachians. there are also other weekend trip options: you have so many quaint, historic towns scattered throughout the rugged hill country and east texas with endless amounts of tourist sites and shops to visit. large cities within driving distance of dfw are shreveport, oklahoma city, austin, and houston. dallas also serves as a popular shopping and nightlife destination for memphisites, so those cities probably aren't that far apart. so you see, guys, dallas aint exactly in the middle of nowhere

3. dallas has every bit of an international presence among its residents as atlanta does. there's also the same political and racial diversity

...now that we've cleared that up, i believe we can move on with the thread
Al, thanks for pointing that out. All true and my memory of these things has dulled with time. I must say I enjoyed my time in Dallas but how much of that was due to being a footloose and fancy-free bachelor (and younger of course) I can't say. I do have a great family but of course the experiences are different.

That said I THINK the Atlanta area offers more for families. The proximity to a variety of coastal areas, stretching from Alabama, all around Florida, up to N. Carolina all being within a days drive offers up some nice choices. Disney is an easy drive, as are Hilton Head, Destin and Charleston. All great family destinations.

BTW I don't think Dallas is in the middle of nowhere; in fact it could be said it (like Chicago) is in the middle of everywhere! (the USA that is). Three hours or less by air to almost anywhere in the country.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:38 AM

23,125 posts, read 36,362,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Whatever. That doesn't make it untrue. It might be "human nature", but that doesn't make it right, and I'm glad some areas of the country don't have to put up with the same kind of garbage on a regular basis.

Why you appear to excuse it as acceptible behavior I don't understand, either, and in my eyes such an accepting attitude is part of the problem.

No wonder this area has so many issues. Folks don't give a ****.
Who's excusing it as acceptable behavior? PLEASE DO NOT PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH. What I said was that such behavior is not limited to Atlanta or the Southeast US region, and I would think anyone possessing a modicum of logic and rationality would agree.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:04 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,719,214 times
Quote:
just thought i'd clear up some of these MISCONCEPTIONS about dallas-fort worth before this thread goes any further

1. dallas is really not all that flat. the terrain actually varies from slightly rolling to rolling hills. and it actually gets pretty rugged around the southwest suburbs (cedar hill, duncanville)...you could also drive over into east texas towns like tyler and palestine, where you have the trees you'll find in atlanta and many of the hills as well

2. dallas is less than 5 hrs away from the ouachita mountains in arkansas. and they're just as stunning as much of the appalachians. there are also other weekend trip options: you have so many quaint, historic towns scattered throughout the rugged hill country and east texas with endless amounts of tourist sites and shops to visit. large cities within driving distance of dfw are shreveport, oklahoma city, austin, and houston. dallas also serves as a popular shopping and nightlife destination for memphisites, so those cities probably aren't that far apart. so you see, guys, dallas aint exactly in the middle of nowhere

3. dallas has every bit of an international presence among its residents as atlanta does. there's also the same political and racial diversity

...now that we've cleared that up, i believe we can move on with the thread
LOL! Good post!

Old 02-27-2010, 10:30 AM

744 posts, read 1,844,095 times
Can't go wrong with either, if you're single or a young couple I'd tip my hat to Atlanta, raising a family Dallas has the edge. If you're looking to drive and getaway(4-5hour drive, anything over that, if you have the means just fly, in that case no city is far away from any amenity-mountains beach etc.) it all depends on what you like. Yes there are a lot of small quaint picturesque Texas towns, but none with as much history as the deep south. If you like hopping around to other big cities, go with Dallas,-Houston, San Antonio and Austin(my fav) are all a 4 hour or less drive from Dallas. Smaller historic coastal towns Atlanta is the place for you Savannah, Georgia Sea Islands, Hilton Head, Charleston SC etc.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:31 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,775,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Can't go wrong with either, if you're single or a young couple I'd tip my hat to Atlanta, raising a family Dallas has the edge. If you're looking to drive and getaway(4-5hour drive, anything over that, if you have the means just fly, in that case no city is far away from any amenity-mountains beach etc.) it all depends on what you like. Yes there are a lot of small quaint picturesque Texas towns, but none with as much history as the deep south.
not so fast. how soon we forget that texas also played a major roll in southern history. there is plenty of deep southern history to be found entrenched in east texas, louisiana, and southern arkansas. plantation homes, civil war monuments, peach orchards lol, you name it...all within dallas' reach

and if southern history doesn't interest you, how about you drive down into san antonio and experience the world famous alamo

Quote:
If you like hopping around to other big cities, go with Dallas,-Houston, San Antonio and Austin(my fav) are all a 4 hour or less drive from Dallas. Smaller historic coastal towns Atlanta is the place for you Savannah, Georgia Sea Islands, Hilton Head, Charleston SC etc.
proximity to great beaches is something i will definitely give the edge to atlanta on. it's also much closer to disney world

Old 02-27-2010, 11:35 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,719,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Can't go wrong with either, if you're single or a young couple I'd tip my hat to Atlanta, raising a family Dallas has the edge. If you're looking to drive and getaway(4-5hour drive, anything over that, if you have the means just fly, in that case no city is far away from any amenity-mountains beach etc.) it all depends on what you like. Yes there are a lot of small quaint picturesque Texas towns, but none with as much history as the deep south. If you like hopping around to other big cities, go with Dallas,-Houston, San Antonio and Austin(my fav) are all a 4 hour or less drive from Dallas. Smaller historic coastal towns Atlanta is the place for you Savannah, Georgia Sea Islands, Hilton Head, Charleston SC etc.
Again, another spot on post.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:17 PM

744 posts, read 1,844,095 times
Quote:
it's also much closer to disney world
Speaking of Disney, Al I loved your concert in Downtown Disney a few years back, when are you gonna give the people what they want and put out some more music
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or