U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 12:41 PM

60 posts, read 35,802 times

Advertisements

I dont mind either but I like Atlanta's location better closer to my fav cities DC NYC Philly. The thing I love about Atlanta is the rolling hills in the city and outside. I like the fact the I can have a house within walking distance to downtown. Also I can get direct flights to aalmost anywhere here at the Airport, Also I like the fact that I can leave my car home walk to marta catch the train to airport and catch my flight without having to pay them high parking fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 01:08 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,786,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane82 View Post
I dont mind either but I like Atlanta's location better closer to my fav cities DC NYC Philly. The thing I love about Atlanta is the rolling hills in the city and outside. I like the fact the I can have a house within walking distance to downtown. Also I can get direct flights to aalmost anywhere here at the Airport, Also I like the fact that I can leave my car home walk to marta catch the train to airport and catch my flight without having to pay them high parking fees.
3 things you can also do in dallas

Old 02-27-2010, 01:13 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,786,375 times
although i should point out that right now, MARTA definitely has the edge over DART. atlanta's linear set-up makes the use of public trans a lot easier. atlanta also has heavy rail. dallas doesn't

Old 02-27-2010, 10:05 PM

Oh another I like is that All the sporting venues are in walking distances which I can also catch the train to those too or walk since there all close to my house There are Alot of great outdoor activite here too. I like All the educational opprotunities that I have to further my education which ill be starting at S.C.A.D this fall... I love the African american gay scene here to since I am black gay male.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
3 things you can also do in dallas

Good for Dallas Its major city it should be able to do those things.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:20 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,583,002 times
Atlanta is home to the largest single hub in the country (Delta), plus AirTran's hub.

DFW is the 2nd largest single hub airport (with AA). Plus, Southwest Airlines is headquartered there (and has a small hub at Love Field), so you won't be hurting to fly somewhere nonstop from either city.

I think that Atlanta trumps Dallas in terms of natural beauty and climate though.

Shopping is about even, but I like the malls in Dallas better.

Dallas beats Atlanta in infrastructure in many ways.

Universities/Colleges? Atlanta

Old 03-01-2010, 11:53 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,385,975 times
Default One major thing you might have forgot....

Thanks for getting those numbers. Now add, any city taxes (Marietta) etc..etc....but, taxes aside. Take a close look at one very, very important aspect. If you choose to live on the NW or NE side of town, you pretty much give up the chance of ever working the opposite side (i.e. if you live in Cobb and you have to take a job in Gwinett, good luck, and vice versa)....major, major aspect to living choices.

I'm living proof. Since 97, jobs have taken me from Smyrna (2 times) Norcross (2 times) downtown once and Alpharetta once.....and yet, I never had to move.

Why? Because in North Fulton you can "get there from here". Think about that aspect very, very carefully. Knowing that we have the 3rd worst traffic in the country, this is a fairly big issue me thinks???

With your calculations, a $4,000 tax bill becomes roughly $3,000....Forsyth? $2,000. No thank, I'll pay the whopping difference (ahem) and SKIP the commute exercises.

As much as I love all of you out there on the highways, I don't love you enough to spend 3 hours a day with you getting to know YOUR driving habits and you, mine.

It's just too....too....."taxing" to take. Not to mention the fuel difference. While all 3 areas are nice suburbian counties/areas, the traffic is the killer.

Go North my friend, go North....on second thought, your right, go NE or NW, enough of us up here in N Fulton as it is!

adieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
FWIW, there was a fairly large difference between Fulton and Cobb even in 2008:

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...on-dekalb.html

Unincorporated Cobb is still 29.75, I believe, which would be places like East Cobb, Vinings, Mableton, etc., and Marietta is still 29.94.

Forsyth looks to be 22.63, which is nice...

Old 03-01-2010, 12:38 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,654,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
You will get a litany of replies here but, the last time I checked the millage rate for North Fulton, aruably the highest tax rates is/was $0.046/47. If you live in a city limit of Alpharetta, add another 15-18% of the county and you will come up about right.

That all said, a 400K red brick in a box will cost you about $4,500 give or take $300 with homestead, in the city limits of say, Alpharetta. Roswell taxes are similar. Live in unincorporated Alpharetta or Roswell and it will go down.

Texas has very large property taxes but, that is more than offset by the fact there is no State Income Tax. Assuming you make 100K/year in Georgia, that's about another $6K in income tax, plus ad valorems for cars.....

Bottom line? Texas probably gets the slight edge overall when it comes to a cost of living. They are so close though that it is really negligible. If you have a cash business here, all bets off as I have yet to meet a cash rich business owner who is tax poor ; ) At least not if he's a good business owner.....

The Dallas highway system is far superior in the off hours. Rush hour is painful for both but, we probably get the nod here as being worse. Rightfully so. When the city was being developed, less attention was paid to the growth and more was paid to the developers. They figured the residents could figure it out later.

Roswell and parts of Dunwoody would work for you. Much further South than that and you will start to deal with more crime, higher taxes, and perhaps spotty neighborhoods.

And for those that would sway you to Gwinnett or Cobb, their millage rate is about 0.042/43....not as much as they would have you believe. The only county that really has a tax break is Forsyth. It used to be $0.022. About half of Fulton.

HOWEVER, if one goes that far, any "savings" in taxes are given away at the pump (more gas for commutes) and time wasted behind windshields. I hardly think it's worth it. It's my favorite argument. That $200/month savings melts down to $10/day and most of that is given to gas....not to mention the rest of what it takes to run a car.....you aren't going to save a dime.

It's similar to the Simpson's episode with the big box store called "Try and Save"....LOL!!!

Regardless of your choice, Dallas and Atlanta have plenty of homes in short sales and foreclosures. If you can't find a deal, you aren't looking. Great deals on cars too. Plenty of over extended folks looking to run away from those tariffs.

Entertainment? Dallas hands down. They actually have a downtown that is vibrant.

Good luck on your final choice.
My only main disagreement is this notion that the further South of the Northern Suburbs is more trouble(crime,taxes,spotty neighborhoods).
There are several areas that are the same or even safer and with less taxes AND without a boatload of "spotty neighborhoods" than those areas.Peachtree City,Fayetteville,Newnan,Douglasville,Marietta,Con yers etc...

Old 03-01-2010, 12:48 PM

186 posts, read 465,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post

Why? Because in North Fulton you can "get there from here". Think about that aspect very, very carefully. Knowing that we have the 3rd worst traffic in the country, this is a fairly big issue me thinks???

With your calculations, a $4,000 tax bill becomes roughly $3,000....Forsyth? $2,000. No thank, I'll pay the whopping difference (ahem) and SKIP the commute exercises.

Amen to that. When we moved here in '96 my job was in Smyrna, hers would likely be in Gwinnett. Although we liked homes in each area, even then the commute to the other was daunting. Someone mentioned North Fulton but others said the taxes were too high.

We looked into it and found that they weren't that much higher, certainly not nearly enough to nullify all those commute costs and time. And nearly all of N. Fulton is very well maintained and upscale looking, compared to parts of Gwinnett and Cobb (parts, I said) that are, well, icky. It was a straight choice from there and 14 years later we don't regret it one bit. My wife ended up working at Dunwoody first, then Windward so that made it even better.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:04 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,654,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot1986 View Post
Amen to that. When we moved here in '96 my job was in Smyrna, hers would likely be in Gwinnett. Although we liked homes in each area, even then the commute to the other was daunting. Someone mentioned North Fulton but others said the taxes were too high.

We looked into it and found that they weren't that much higher, certainly not nearly enough to nullify all those commute costs and time. And nearly all of N. Fulton is very well maintained and upscale looking, compared to parts of Gwinnett and Cobb (parts, I said) that are, well, icky. It was a straight choice from there and 14 years later we don't regret it one bit. My wife ended up working at Dunwoody first, then Windward so that made it even better.
Well there is no county called North Fullton.Only Fulton.Im sure if you easily separate the more "icky" areas of Gwinnett people would try to make the distinction as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or