U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 01:22 PM

186 posts, read 465,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well there is no county called North Fullton.Only Fulton.Im sure if you easily separate the more "icky" areas of Gwinnett people would try to make the distinction as well.
Well, I never called it North Fulton County, although that's a common oral shorthand around here (as in North FultonCounty).

BTW it might as well be a separate county, and if certain people prevail it will be before too long, and they'll be spelling it M-i-l-t-o-n.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 02:13 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,640,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot1986 View Post
Well, I never called it North Fulton County, although that's a common oral shorthand around here (as in North FultonCounty).

BTW it might as well be a separate county, and if certain people prevail it will be before too long, and they'll be spelling it M-i-l-t-o-n.
I hope whatever the residents of that area get what they want.Which ever way that goes ,I do not see it as a majic pill.In this country its all about running away.No sense of community.Only united by class.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:30 PM

186 posts, read 465,572 times
Quote:
I hope whatever the residents of that area get what they want.Which ever way that goes ,I do not see it as a majic pill.In this country its all about running away.No sense of community.Only united by class.
Not every action taken with the hope of improvement of some aspect or other of one's life is regarded as a magic pill. Most of the time these things are done in the belief that certain things will improve and the hope to support that belief. No one undertakes major changes voluntarily without this basic structure.

Let's move on; I'm afraid this thread is going too far OT, which was comparing Atlanta to Dallas.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:47 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,407,612 times
Okay, back to comparing Dallas to Atlanta. I have lived in Texas and going to be moving to Atlanta from New York and I have to say that I am thankful beyond words that my husband is transferred to Atlanta and not Texas (although he is in the oil and mining business).

Atlanta is truly a more international city as evidenced by the influx of foreign companies that have their North American headquarters there (my husband works for a Finnish company).

Many NE corporations are moving there because of the affordability.

The shopping is great- most of NYC stores are in Buckhead area.

Restaurants are great.

Choice of lifestyle for everyone from Midtown to Cobb County.

Ability to reach mountains or ocean within a day.

Great medical centers with expanding scientific research, with Georgia Tech support. CDC based here and Emory just announced today new pediatric research expansion.

Seems like an easy choice.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:19 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,777,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Okay, back to comparing Dallas to Atlanta. I have lived in Texas and going to be moving to Atlanta from New York and I have to say that I am thankful beyond words that my husband is transferred to Atlanta and not Texas (although he is in the oil and mining business).

Atlanta is truly a more international city as evidenced by the influx of foreign companies that have their North American headquarters there (my husband works for a Finnish company).

Many NE corporations are moving there because of the affordability.
may i ask where in texas you lived? because dallas has a lot of international appeal as well

Quote:
The shopping is great- most of NYC stores are in Buckhead area.
same as dallas, which is the home of neiman marcus, and it also has barneys new york (the only location in the south)

Quote:
Restaurants are great.
like dallas

Quote:
Choice of lifestyle for everyone from Midtown to Cobb County.
hey! another thing just like dallas! everyone from lakewood, to west village, to the bishop arts district

Quote:
Ability to reach mountains or ocean within a day.
just like dallas

Quote:
Great medical centers with expanding scientific research, with Georgia Tech support. CDC based here and Emory just announced today new pediatric research expansion.
dallas is less than 5 hrs away from houston where the texas medical center (largest medical district in the world) is located

Quote:
Seems like an easy choice.
to you, maybe, but let's let the op decide

Last edited by AlGreen; 03-02-2010 at 08:30 AM..

Old 03-02-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
may i ask where in texas you lived? because dallas has a lot of international appeal as well

same as dallas, which is the home of neiman marcus, and it also has barneys new york (the only location in the south)

like dallas

hey! another thing just like dallas! everyone from lakewood, to west village, to the bishop arts district

just like dallas

dallas is less than 5 hrs away from houston where the texas medical center (largest medical district in the world) is located

to you, maybe, but let's let the op decide
Dallas to Houston last time I drove was about 6hrs.Anyway did you really mention a facility in another city 5hrs away?Why don't they just move to Houston?lol.

Dallas and Atlanta both have great restaurants,but Atlanta has many more that are ranked higher with the most awards.

One thing Dallas does not have is access.Access to the East Coast.You can drive to D.C.,Tampa,Miami,Charlotte,Raleigh,Nashville,Memph is,Savannah,Orlando,New Orleans,Birmingham etc..You can get to all those places from as little as 2hrs to under 10 hrs by car(within a days drive.
Dallas?Lets see..
Houston,Austin,San Antonio,New Orleans,Wichita Falls,TX,OKC,Lubbock,Alburqurque.....
If most people had to choose between either group of cities,which would they pick?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Dallas to Houston last time I drove was about 6hrs.Anyway did you really mention a facility in another city 5hrs away?Why don't they just move to Houston?lol.
a trip from dallas to houston is approximately 3 hrs and 49 min, thank you kindly

Quote:
Dallas and Atlanta both have great restaurants,but Atlanta has many more that are ranked higher with the most awards.
well when it comes to food, it's all pretty relative. personally, i give the edge to dallas

Quote:
One thing Dallas does not have is access.Access to the East Coast.You can drive to D.C.,Tampa,Miami,Charlotte,Raleigh,Nashville,Memph is,Savannah,Orlando,New Orleans,Birmingham etc..You can get to all those places from as little as 2hrs to under 10 hrs by car(within a days drive.
Dallas?Lets see..
Houston,Austin,San Antonio,New Orleans,Wichita Falls,TX,OKC,Lubbock,Alburqurque.....
If most people had to choose between either group of cities,which would they pick?
so basically what you're suggesting is that the cities atlanta is closer to are more important than the cities dallas is closer to? how biased of you. just because YOU see being closer to dc or miami as an advantage, doesn't mean everybody does. maybe many people in dallas would like that they're closer to places like los angeles, san francisco, las vegas, or denver (still lengthy trips, but closer than atlanta)

Last edited by AlGreen; 03-02-2010 at 10:32 AM..

Old 03-02-2010, 10:48 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,407,612 times
Atlanta's airport does make it very easy to get anywhere on the East Coast, Europe and the islands as well as the midwest. Hourly flights to La Guardia which make it very convenient for the people who commute between the two cities (and there are more than you might think). Or if you just gotta shop at Barneys and can't make it to Dallas.

As with everything, it all depends on the individual and their circumstances, as to which is the best city/neighborhood/school for them.

And it is up to us to give our personal points of view in constructive, supportive and as positive (as possible) posts. We are all here to help each other.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Atlanta's airport does make it very easy to get anywhere on the East Coast, Europe and the islands as well as the midwest. Hourly flights to La Guardia which make it very convenient for the people who commute between the two cities (and there are more than you might think). Or if you just gotta shop at Barneys and can't make it to Dallas.

As with everything, it all depends on the individual and their circumstances, as to which is the best city/neighborhood/school for them.

And it is up to us to give our personal points of view in constructive, supportive and as positive (as possible) posts. We are all here to help each other.
i agree. and i apologize if i came off as combative

Old 03-02-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
a trip from dallas to houston is approximately 3 hrs and 49 min, thank you kindly

well when it comes to food, it's all pretty relative. personally, i give the edge to dallas

so basically what you're suggesting is that the cities atlanta is closer to are more important than the cities dallas is closer to? how biased of you. just because YOU see being closer to dc or miami as an advantage, doesn't mean everybody does. maybe many people in dallas would like that they're closer to places like los angeles, san francisco, las vegas, or denver (still lengthy trips, but closer than atlanta)
Maybe Im thinking Dallas to San Antonio?Yeh thats more like it.You're right,it is my opinion.I never stated it as fact.However larger cities tend to attract more people.The closer those cities are to the places people are from,people will travel more to them with considerable amount of lesser ease.Those are facts as well as logical.

While i know its a baited question I will bite.Yes I do think D.C. is more important than any city within the same distance as Dallas.That is bias and my opinion.What is FACT and not my opinion or bias is that DC(8/9hrs),as well as Orlando,(6hrs),Tampa(7/8hrs),Savannah,Charelston,Nashville(3-4hrs) are among the top tourist destinations in the country.

That said I highly doubt the majority people would rather drive more than 8hrs if they have the option of flying.Driving to LA or San Fran from Dallas is well over 1200 miles.Flying wise,you are only adding maybe 2hrs more to your flight if leaving from Atlanta.For most people thats not a major concern.

it just something worth considering I feel.

I really do not have anything against Dallas or Texas.But I do have my opinions based on my experiences.I have been and lived in Texas many times.I usually call it like I see it.I have nevern said anything that was not true about Dallas.Not even an exaggeration.Only opinions and facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or