U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:44 AM

2,531 posts, read 5,578,946 times

Advertisements

I will say that if access to the East Coast is a major concern, and you prefer to drive, then the edge would go to Atlanta. You can get from here to DC in about 10 hours.

Dallas has a pretty good centralized location in terms of flying, so it takes about as long to fly from Dallas to both the East and West Coasts, so I'd say that flying, you can't go wrong with either Atlanta or Dallas.

I've done the drive from California to Mississippi (stopping in Dallas and other parts of Texas on the way), and it is NOT fun. You're driving through a lot of desert and prairie, and unlike the eastern part of the country, you can pass through a lot of areas where there are no services for miles (I'm talking about anywhere from 40-90 miles). I remember the time we almost ran out of gas somewhere between Casa Grande and Gila Bend, AZ and we were driving down Interstate 8 going 45 MPH with our hazards on. Fun times I bet my parents listened to me the next time when I said to stop and get some gas (we were driving in shifts)!

And since when has it taken less than 4 hours to get from Dallas to Houston driving? LOL. At 3 AM when there is no traffic?

And doesn't Dallas have a decent sized medical center on its own? It's no TMC, but it's not like they ship ALL their patients down to Houston.

Last edited by grindin; 03-02-2010 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 11:48 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,778,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Maybe Im thinking Dallas to San Antonio?Yeh thats more like it.You're right,it is my opinion.I never stated it as fact.However larger cities tend to attract more people.The closer those cities are to the places people are from,people will travel more to them with considerable amount of lesser ease.Those are facts as well as logical.

While i know its a baited question I will bite.Yes I do think D.C. is more important than any city within the same distance as Dallas.That is bias and my opinion.What is FACT and not my opinion or bias is that DC(8/9hrs),as well as Orlando,(6hrs),Tampa(7/8hrs),Savannah,Charelston,Nashville(3-4hrs) are among the top tourist destinations in the country.

That said I highly doubt the majority people would rather drive more than 8hrs if they have the option of flying.Driving to LA or San Fran from Dallas is well over 1200 miles.
yeah, cause families never take road trips

Quote:
Flying wise,you are only adding maybe 2hrs more to your flight if leaving from Atlanta.For most people thats not a major concern.
spin it anyway you want, man. the fact of the matter is, you were wrong by saying that dallas doesn't have access. when what you meant to say is "dallas doesn't have access to the places afonega sees as important"

it all depends on the individual. look at all the california transplants in texas. i'm sure that to them, dallas is the city with the better access

Old 03-02-2010, 12:54 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,469,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
yeah, cause families never take road trips

spin it anyway you want, man. the fact of the matter is, you were wrong by saying that dallas doesn't have access. when what you meant to say is "dallas doesn't have access to the places afonega sees as important"

it all depends on the individual. look at all the california transplants in texas. i'm sure that to them, dallas is the city with the better access
Yeah, I'm sure the highways between Dallas and Cali are just packed with families taking random road trips.............

I don't really think afonega1 was attempting to "spin" anything. All it takes is a quick glance at a map/flight schedule to determine which place is better connected.

As far as California transplants considering Dallas to have better access to the Coast vs. Atlanta, as far as nonstop flights are concerned, there is hardly any difference at all. It's a wash. As far as car travel goes, that's a no-brainer, isn't it?

Old 03-02-2010, 01:40 PM

186 posts, read 465,594 times
This thread is starting to become repetitive (distances to various places, etc) and in areas which can easily be researched by OP or anyone else. Although I'm sorta guilty of that too...

I believe the OP is probably more interested in international travel, (as he is coming here from Europe). In this case Atlanta wins on technical points, even if not for the airport connections (which are probably a bit better), just for the fact that it is about 1 flying hour closer to Europe. But really, is this a big deal to anyone flying to Europe even 5 times a year (doubtful - one has to work, yes)? And maybe the extra airline miles make up for this

In general, Atlanta wins on nature, and Dallas wins on culture. But there can be disagreement even on these... I mean, we're not comparing Tulsa to New York City, but two cities that are near-twins in so many ways! They share their landlocked nature, their doughnut layout... education is very close, overall COL is nearly the same, even climate is not all that different. Even the darn latitudes are so close.

Dallas does benefit from Fort Worth in that it offers the metroplex cultural diversity. I am reminded of the popular saying from when I lived there: "Dallas is where the East ends and Fort Worth is where the West begins". That's why the mid-cities are so confused I guess!

In terms of relatively recent history, Dallas is where JFK was killed and Atlanta is where MLK was born. I wonder if this matters to a Scandinavian choosing between the two.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:56 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,778,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yeah, I'm sure the highways between Dallas and Cali are just packed with families taking random road trips.............
just because it may be done infrequently, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. i guarantee you there are thousands of people who drive between california and texas every year

and how can a road trip be random if it's planned?

Quote:
I don't really think afonega1 was attempting to "spin" anything. All it takes is a quick glance at a map/flight schedule to determine which place is better connected.
of course atlanta sits in the more densely populated area of the country, but that doesn't mean it sits in the more interesting part of the country. which is why it's incorrect to say "atlanta has better access", because it depends what you want access to

Quote:
As far as California transplants considering Dallas to have better access to the Coast vs. Atlanta, as far as nonstop flights are concerned, there is hardly any difference at all. It's a wash. As far as car travel goes, that's a no-brainer, isn't it?
i don't know about everybody else, but for me, an extra two hours on a plane can be the difference between a pleasant flight and me wanting to blow my brains out from being uncomfortable. so i'm certain that for many folks, dallas being closer to the western united states is a plus

not to mention, dallas is almost perfectly centered inbetween coasts

Old 03-02-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
just because it may be done infrequently, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. i guarantee you there are thousands of people who drive between california and texas every year

and how can a road trip be random if it's planned?

of course atlanta sits in the more densely populated area of the country, but that doesn't mean it sits in the more interesting part of the country. which is why it's incorrect to say "atlanta has better access", because it depends what you want access to

i don't know about everybody else, but for me, an extra two hours on a plane can be the difference between a pleasant flight and me wanting to blow my brains out from being uncomfortable. so i'm certain that for many folks, dallas being closer to the western united states is a plus

not to mention, dallas is almost perfectly centered inbetween coasts
We'll just have to agree to disagree here.

There is absolutely no way you can convince me that Dallas is more accessable to anything MOST people would want access to over Atlanta. This includes mountains, beaches and metropolitan areas.

As far as the OP is concerned, our access to Europe on nonstop flights far surpasses what is available from DFW.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:57 PM

There are more flights to Europe from Atlanta vs. Dallas. American seems to prefer using their O'Hare hub for their European flights, and using Dallas as mainly a domestic hub. To be fair, I think Delta has been trying to use JFK as their base for Europe-bound flights.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
To be fair, I think Delta has been trying to use JFK as their base for Europe-bound flights.
This is pretty recent, though. This has always been the big gateway.

For the first time ever, there will be slightly more nonstops from JFK this summer. A lot of the niche routes like Nice, Venice, etc. are operated from JFK.

We have a broad and deep mix of flights from here, and are among a very small number of cities out there with nonstops to both of London's main airports.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
This is pretty recent, though. This has always been the big gateway.

For the first time ever, there will be slightly more nonstops from JFK this summer. A lot of the niche routes like Nice, Venice, etc. are operated from JFK.

We have a broad and deep mix of flights from here, and are among a very small number of cities out there with nonstops to both of London's main airports.
Yep

And I'd much rather fly out of Atlanta directly to Europe than having to deal with Terminals 2 & 3 at JFK.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Yep

And I'd much rather fly out of Atlanta directly to Europe than having to deal with Terminals 2 & 3 at JFK.
LOL at Terminals 2 & 3!

I would rather connect in Heathrow than deal with that mess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or