U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:04 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,178,613 times

Advertisements

I'm concerned this thread may be slightly misleading to the OP, except for the comment by IntownHomes, which I think is right on the money:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
In what part of Atlanta would your job be located? Atlanta is a very, very large metropolitan area and, while it's a relatively cosmopolitan city in general, there are certainly differences in politics and philosophy that are notable from one part of the city to the other.
As a Canadian who experienced culture shock on moving to north-east Cobb County (Lassiter high school zone), I would say that the OP's concerns about being discriminated against are groundless. However, while plainly some posters reside in parts of the northern suburbs that are crammed with northerners, presumably exhibiting northern culture, as IntownHomes correctly observes, it's not like that everywhere down here. This is the South. There's a distinctive predominant culture here that's not the same as NJ.

I completely agree that the OP should not be concerned about discrimination. However, they shouldn't expect everything to be just like home, everywhere they go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 09:20 AM

7 posts, read 10,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Atlanta, especially the Northern Suburbs, has so many Jewish/Catholic people from up North.

This should be the least of your worries.
OK, so what should be the MOST of my worries?

Old 02-06-2010, 09:22 AM

I honestly don't care that everything is the same as here in NJ. If I wanted NJ, I'd stay here. I got over that a long time ago after being dragged out of NY TO NJ. I just want people to be nice and fair and to not pre-judge.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:23 AM

What area of Atlanta suburbs do you live?

Old 02-06-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Most of our street is yankees (myself included), and 3/4 of the families are catholic- and we're 35 miles outside of downtown, in an area that you'd think would be much more "traditional southern). You've got absolutely nothing to worry about.

If you've got any NJ-GA transition questions, feel free to ask. We made the move from Woodbridge 2.5 years ago, and haven't regretted it one bit.
I'm actually not sure where the office is located. But more important for me is an area my family will be happy. My one daughter is almost 11 now, so I want to be somewhere she wil lbe welcomed. What area do you live in, so maybe I have a starting point. And don't worry, if I decide to take this job, I'll DEFINITELY ask questions. Thanks.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:28 AM

Where do you live?

Old 02-06-2010, 10:05 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,877,520 times
There are LOTS of areas of Atlanta where you will be happy, find good schools, etc. In Atlanta, one of the biggest negatives to quality of life is the commute to work, so once you know what part of town you'll be working in you'll be able to make much more efficient progress on finding a compatible area in which to live. As I mentioned, most of the metro area is very cosmopolitan and generally diverse and tolerant. You'll find intown tends to be more liberal and the outlying suburbs tend to be more conservative. Depending on your specific requirements and budget I have no doubt you'll find lots of areas that suit your family's needs. But until you have a good idea of where you'll be working it's probably pointless to start looking at specific parts of the city because there are so many all over the place and you don't want to get your heart set on one that turns out to be a 1.5 hour commute to your job.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:49 AM

14,385 posts, read 23,053,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitso1701 View Post
OK, so what should be the MOST of my worries?

Nothing really. You'll find everything you have in Northern New Jersey with a higher quality of life and a lower cost of living.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:50 AM

14,385 posts, read 23,053,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
There are LOTS of areas of Atlanta where you will be happy, find good schools, etc. In Atlanta, one of the biggest negatives to quality of life is the commute to work, so once you know what part of town you'll be working in you'll be able to make much more efficient progress on finding a compatible area in which to live. As I mentioned, most of the metro area is very cosmopolitan and generally diverse and tolerant. You'll find intown tends to be more liberal and the outlying suburbs tend to be more conservative. Depending on your specific requirements and budget I have no doubt you'll find lots of areas that suit your family's needs. But until you have a good idea of where you'll be working it's probably pointless to start looking at specific parts of the city because there are so many all over the place and you don't want to get your heart set on one that turns out to be a 1.5 hour commute to your job.

This post says it all.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:18 PM

9,124 posts, read 33,295,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitso1701 View Post
I'm actually not sure where the office is located. But more important for me is an area my family will be happy. My one daughter is almost 11 now, so I want to be somewhere she wil lbe welcomed. What area do you live in, so maybe I have a starting point. And don't worry, if I decide to take this job, I'll DEFINITELY ask questions. Thanks.
We live in Holly Springs in Cherokee County. We're about 35 miles from downtown, and my commute is about 40 minutes in the am, and an hour in the afternoon. I go in and leave a little before rush hour, but even at rush hour the commute isn't that bad- especially by NJ standards.

Our area is a mix of "original southerners" and people who relocated from all around the country. It's a semi-rural area, where you can get a brand-new 2,500 sf house for around $200k now, with taxes of around $2,200/year. As you know, that's a big difference that you'll love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or