U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 07:28 PM

40 posts, read 96,887 times

Advertisements

We're from Somerset County, NJ and are in the process of moving to Milton. We looked all over and decided on Milton because of the larger lot size and newer home. We're not down there yet, but have met many people from NJ and other areas. Feel free to PM me if you wanted more details on areas we looked into. We also visited many private and some public schools. Since we decided on Milton, we're going public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 09:28 PM

19 posts, read 40,109 times
Just moved from Bridgewater, NJ to South Forsyth - love it, schools, weather, people.....

Old 02-07-2010, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 7,770 times
Default Another Northerner in Atlanta

I'm from NJ and live in metro Atlanta and love it. I've had no problems being a Northerner in the South.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:31 PM

642 posts, read 2,009,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Nothing really. You'll find everything you have in Northern New Jersey with a higher quality of life and a lower cost of living.
At least one of those two statements are completely objective I'd say as someone who also moved here from New Jersey.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:48 AM

225 posts, read 523,265 times
If you are looking for Jewish/Catholic connections, you are probably better off in East Cobb or the Dunwoody area (Marcus Jewish Community Center and All Saints Catholic Church and various synagogues between E. Cobb and Dunwoody).

The closer you stay to various parts of I-285 (and inside I-285), the more you will experience the Melting Pot that makes Atlanta the city that she is. Atlanta in the early 90s and Atlanta today is SO different, due to all the transplants that have moved in from all over the place. I like to say Atlanta is a very cosmopolitan city that still has her southern charm.

I am not Jewish or Catholic but know quite a lot about both cultures, due to the part of Atlanta I grew up in. So if I were your husband, I would be more concerned about finding the "right community" that would be a good fit for all of you.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:42 PM

719 posts, read 1,505,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
As a Canadian who experienced culture shock on moving to north-east Cobb County (Lassiter high school zone), I would say that the OP's concerns about being discriminated against are groundless. However, while plainly some posters reside in parts of the northern suburbs that are crammed with northerners, presumably exhibiting northern culture, as IntownHomes correctly observes, it's not like that everywhere down here. This is the South. There's a distinctive predominant culture here that's not the same as NJ.
I agree about the great variety of experiences on offer in the different parts of the metro area, but I'm not so sure about the statement "This is the South." In many respects, Atlanta is really not particularly southern. It has a southern backdrop. But as a city, as a region -- not particularly southern the way Richmond is southern, or Little Rock, or Greenville, or Nashville. Not that it doesn't have a certain flavoring that's noticeably southern, but that's different. It's this flavoring that some newcomers probably sense and that leads them to assume "Atlanta is southern", when in reality what they're sensing is the faint echo of a south that never had roots quite as deep here.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:02 PM

7,861 posts, read 15,213,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
I agree about the great variety of experiences on offer in the different parts of the metro area, but I'm not so sure about the statement "This is the South." In many respects, Atlanta is really not particularly southern. It has a southern backdrop. But as a city, as a region -- not particularly southern the way Richmond is southern, or Little Rock, or Greenville, or Nashville. Not that it doesn't have a certain flavoring that's noticeably southern, but that's different. It's this flavoring that some newcomers probably sense and that leads them to assume "Atlanta is southern", when in reality what they're sensing is the faint echo of a south that never had roots quite as deep here.
I would agree that the Atlanta area isn't quite as southern as some smaller southern cities or the rural south, but it sure was when I first moved here to attend school in 1982. Atlanta has really lost most of its "southern-ness" in direct proportion to newcomers moving here in the 1990's and 2000's, as you would expect.

Natives have in many cases moved further out from the city core in search of something more familiar and to escape the growth, while northern and other transplants have backfilled many of those areas. Contrast that with Atlanta in 1982, when MARTA stopped at North Station and Norcross was the country.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I would agree that the Atlanta area isn't quite as southern as some smaller southern cities or the rural south, but it sure was when I first moved here to attend school in 1982. Atlanta has really lost most of its "southern-ness" in direct proportion to newcomers moving here in the 1990's and 2000's, as you would expect.

Natives have in many cases moved further out from the city core in search of something more familiar and to escape the growth, while northern and other transplants have backfilled many of those areas. Contrast that with Atlanta in 1982, when MARTA stopped at North Station and Norcross was the country.

William and Neil truly hit the spot so you guys both get reputation points from me. Atlanta in 1985, 1990, 1995, and 2000 are four different creatures of it's own and yet somehow managed to keep some of it's "southern charm" in very subtle ways that many people can't seem to notice or appreciate. I was there for all of that so I guess I feel like I have credibility in saying so

I always tell people if they drive about 30-45 minutes outside of the Atlanta city center, then you will begin to find Georgia... and back in the 80s, it sure wasn't like that, tho' many Georgian's might also disagree with that and then there are various parts of Georgia, as I have discovered with the numerous friends who are "actually from Georgia" but moved up to Atlanta during their adulthood, etc.... When we travel, they still make fun of me for stating that I am from Atlanta, not Georgia... but after living in Atlanta themselves, they begin to understand why many Atlantans like to say they are from Atlanta... just like folks from Chicago don't say they are from Illinois, etc.

It still amazes me how I have conversations with so many folks all over the U.S. who think Atlanta and Georgia are two of the same things... they are surprised and sometimes in disbelief until they hear other native Atlantans, long time Atlantans, Georgians, and true southerners all supporting these statements... and that's where I say, "Atlanta is a cosmopolitan city that still has her southern charm. "

Old 02-08-2010, 02:51 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,789,033 times
well i kind of have to disagree with the notion that atlanta isn't really georgia. because there are plenty of areas in that city where it is very easy to remember what state youre in. like it was said in another thread, if you take a trip down to one of those lower or middle income areas on the west or south sides, where you can get a barbecue pig ear sandwich made by a man with five gold teeth...you definitely know youre in gawgia

oh, and lets not forget general larry platt lol

Old 02-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Al, great point. I am personally referring to Atlanta as a whole... The majority of Atlanta has changed so much, due to the transplants that have come in since the Olympics... It still has it's southern stuff but my "Georgian friends" still agree that Atlanta is now just different from the rest of the state... To me, the pig ears equate to many of the factors that make Atlanta a "cosmopolitan city WITH the southern charm"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or