U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:11 PM

8,021 posts, read 12,572,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Sounds good but I would imagine that once they study it, they'll find that it would not be cost effective given the cost to implement it and the extent system that we have. A distance based fare system makes sense where there is actually a comprehensive system, something we unfortunately do not have in Atlanta. Any increased revenue from Doraville and Sandy Springs would be more than offset by lower rates intown since most of the busiest stations are where people live near the stations - intown.
It probably would cost little to nothing at all to implement. Remember, Breeze is now in full usage across the system and it uses a smart card. All they would have to do is reprogram it to allow people to select how far they are going. People who purchase monthly cards should still be allowed to have unlimited rides.

And you are right, probably most passengers ride only a few stations in any direction. In that case, they could work it out so that there is a minimum amount every one pays. Say like $1.50. This would ensure that no matter what, they would still get around the same amount in fare collections as they would under a flat rate system.

I used to be very skeptical about a distance based fare system too, but that was until I worked in Manila where they have a similar system for their trains. It was very easy to use and it didn't short change any one. You got basically what you paid for and it was still cheaper and easier than taking a cab across town. Well, in some places across town. Manila's train system is worse than MARTA in it's coverage believe it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 02:41 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,740,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It probably would cost little to nothing at all to implement. Remember, Breeze is now in full usage across the system and it uses a smart card. All they would have to do is reprogram it to allow people to select how far they are going. People who purchase monthly cards should still be allowed to have unlimited rides.

And you are right, probably most passengers ride only a few stations in any direction. In that case, they could work it out so that there is a minimum amount every one pays. Say like $1.50. This would ensure that no matter what, they would still get around the same amount in fare collections as they would under a flat rate system.

I used to be very skeptical about a distance based fare system too, but that was until I worked in Manila where they have a similar system for their trains. It was very easy to use and it didn't short change any one. You got basically what you paid for and it was still cheaper and easier than taking a cab across town. Well, in some places across town. Manila's train system is worse than MARTA in it's coverage believe it or not.
I didn't realize writing and installing a new program was like flipping a switch. There is cost associated with it, to say nothing of some kind of enforcement system to prevent someone from purchasing a ticket from Doraville to Chamblee and then traveling to the airport. The cost of implementation though is really a minor issue.

The main point I intended to make is that going to a distance based system is not some panacea for Marta's revenue. If it were they would have done it already. This is not the first time they've looked into distance-based fares.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:56 PM

2,683 posts, read 5,323,998 times
If you put the system in one cannot to farther then they paid for without paying the extra, the gates simply will not let them out. Now some cities like Seattle have gone to the honor system and claim it works most of the time but its simple to have a system in place where one cannot cheat it.

As I have said I would ride Marta much more if it was based on distance and I am sure I am not the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
I didn't realize writing and installing a new program was like flipping a switch. There is cost associated with it, to say nothing of some kind of enforcement system to prevent someone from purchasing a ticket from Doraville to Chamblee and then traveling to the airport. The cost of implementation though is really a minor issue.

The main point I intended to make is that going to a distance based system is not some panacea for Marta's revenue. If it were they would have done it already. This is not the first time they've looked into distance-based fares.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:48 PM

4,091 posts, read 4,960,854 times
Well, I was considering Atlanta because they had decent public transit and at a fair price... How long before they take after the light rail's fares?

Old 02-06-2010, 05:12 PM

2,683 posts, read 5,323,998 times
If you use it for commuting you can buy a monthly pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Well, I was considering Atlanta because they had decent public transit and at a fair price... How long before they take after the light rail's fares?

Old 02-06-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
If you use it for commuting you can buy a monthly pass.
Ok, to be fair, I've never lived anywhere that had a subway system... How does the pass differ from a ticket? Wouldn't you have to buy a higher priced pass if you use it to commute throughout the city?

Old 02-06-2010, 06:21 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,486,131 times
Quote:
Ok, to be fair, I've never lived anywhere that had a subway system... How does the pass differ from a ticket? Wouldn't you have to buy a higher priced pass if you use it to commute throughout the city?
A one way fare is $2.00, but without a Breeze card you'll pay $2.50 (.50 for the paper ticket fee).

Breeze cards a like a pre-loaded debit card. They cost you $10.00 up front, but they last for years. They were free when they were first introduced a couple of years ago.

When you buy a monthly pass for $60.00, it's loaded onto your Breeze card, and you have access to unlimited rides.

Quite a few Downtown/Midtown/Buckhead & Perimeter employers subsidize the cost, and a few pay for them outright.

Not sure if you saw it or not, but there's a line very near to the hotel you stayed in.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:41 PM

It's it's the one by the road that ducks just under the overhead pass (across from the Blockbuster and I want to say Winn Dixie), then yes I did. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:01 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,486,131 times
Quote:
It's it's the one by the road that ducks just under the overhead pass (across from the Blockbuster and I want to say Winn Dixie), then yes I did. Thanks for the info.
You're welcome!

Not sure about the Blockbuster you mention, and we don't have Winn-Dixie anymore (for a long time)?

If you had been looking at I-285 from the front of your hotel, the first bridge across the freeway to your left is for the train.

The station is across I-285 via Ashford-Dunwoody Rd., and then a left behind Perimeter Mall on Hammond Dr.

MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority

Old 02-07-2010, 12:04 AM

5,196 posts, read 6,405,196 times
I dont like the idea at all. I say put tolls on the expressways and use the money to mass transit. Mrs Scott needs to step down. Everytime I am on the train the thing is packed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or