U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:48 PM

14 posts, read 30,919 times

Advertisements

Yes there is no fastlane, people dont understand that though, Its pointless to keep changing lanes but thats the way our ignorant drivers have made it. Have you driven on 285 or 400? you either stay left or do 55!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 09:51 AM

225 posts, read 523,265 times
I support this law, not because I am encouraging people to go 90 but because of the safety issue in everyone knowing how to work together and be "good citizens" of the driving community.

Q: What does it mean when a sign says "slower traffic keep right?"
A: If below speed limit in left lane and blocking overtaking traffic, must move right.

Unfortunately, most people don't notice these signs or choose to ignore them.

If a car is going 55 in the left lane, I am very disgusted with their disregard to being a "good member of the driving society." If the car is going 50 in the right lane, I am not even remotely irritated because they have the right of way in that situation.

Something to think about: I have driven on the autobahn in Germany and it's amazing how everyone cooperates on just 3 lanes, regardless of how fast or slow each car is going, because the left lane is used to pass and well, the slower traffic stays to the right.

We also noticed that there are fewer left turn options at intersections, which actually helps the traffic during rush hour. It's amazing how efficiency helps in all situations

Old 02-17-2010, 09:54 AM

When I mean, being a "good member of the motorists society" or whatever, this is what I am supporting:

Why Lane Courtesy Is Important

Every holiday season, highway safety is given increased emphasis. During these campaigns, the extremely important concept of lane courtesy (also called lane discipline) is often overlooked. To promote this valuable highway safety practice, the National Motorists Association (NMA) has designated June as Lane Courtesy Month and is asking motorists to "Do The RIGHT Thing!"
Lane courtesy is the simple act of moving to the right to allow faster traffic to pass. This act of courtesy will significantly improve highway safety. By not obstructing other drivers, we are allowing traffic to flow more smoothly. When traffic flows smoothly, there is less tailgating, less weaving in-and-out of traffic, and therefore fewer accidents.

When drivers exercise lane courtesy, they defuse the situations that cause road rage. Ask almost any motorist what irritates them the most and the majority will answer, "left lane hogs." It is the failure of slower traffic to keep right or yield to the right, when faster traffic approaches, that makes driving a frustrating burden. The courteous act of moving to the right can eliminate driver stress and conflict, and make fellow travelers happy to share the road.

Yielding to faster traffic also reduces road congestion. When traffic is flowing smoothly, highway capacity can be utilized to its fullest extent. There are fewer speed fluctuations and lane changes, and less tail-gating. Also, an added benefit of lane courtesy is reduced air pollution.
Almost all states have some type of "slower traffic keep right" law. Now is the time to reawaken interest and support for this incredibly important and positive traffic safety concept.

Why Lane Courtesy Is Important - Lane Courtesy - Slower Traffic Keep Right

Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 AM

304 posts, read 842,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie2011 View Post
So I was watching the news the other night, and this topic just caught my attention. Our lawmakers are proposing a bill that would put fastlane hoggers with a 75 dollar fine. This would make it illegal for you to not pass anyone or just cruise in the far left lanes. Do you think this is just another way for officers to pull us over? Personally I speed anyway and so does every Atlantan, so moving the slow pokes over is helping me.
---------------------------------------
It is the law already on interstates that you have to hang in the right lanes unless you are passing.

My experience in Atlanta is that people drive whatever speed they want in whatever lane they want. Having said that, the cities and states need to augment revenue wherever they can get it. NO ONE wants to get a ticket so its probably OK to bill drivers who make things dangerous.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:34 AM

13,457 posts, read 51,505,295 times
Depending on how the law is used- I'm for it.
Case in point- Autobahn. A rough translation:
Passing on the right is strictly prohibited! Slower vehicles must move to the right to allow faster traffic to pass,
and drivers should stay in the right lane except to pass. When passing, you must do so as quickly as possible,
and it's in your best interest to do so lest you become a hood ornament on that Porsche that was just a speck
in your mirror a second ago and now is close enough for you to see the look of distain on the driver's face.
I know for a fact that if that Porsche clobbered your rearend- you would be the one cited. Instead of the Porsche for "following to close".

And some other points of interest:
It is illegal to run out of fuel on the Autobahn. Technically, there is no law specifically against this,
but it is illegal to stop unnecessarily on the Autobahn and this law is also applied to people who run out of fuel as such an occurrence is deemed to be preventable.

And a few customs (with warning):
Motorists at the rear of a traffic jam usually switch on their hazard blinkers to warn approaching traffic of the slowdown.
Many drivers flash their high beams or switch on their left turn signal to politely (or not) request that you vacate the
left lane to let them pass. There are conflicting opinions about whether this is legal or not and why,
but there are reports that drivers have been cited for doing this.
While there is no specific law regarding this, it appears that such actions can be construed to violate
Germany's coercion laws, so do so at your own risk.

Happy Motoring!

Old 02-18-2010, 12:14 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,771,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansaichick View Post
Something to think about: I have driven on the autobahn in Germany and it's amazing how everyone cooperates on just 3 lanes, regardless of how fast or slow each car is going, because the left lane is used to pass and well, the slower traffic stays to the right.

We also noticed that there are fewer left turn options at intersections, which actually helps the traffic during rush hour. It's amazing how efficiency helps in all situations
This is a side-topic based on your highlighted area above, but it's also true that left-handed turns does A LOT to slow traffic and create dangerous situations that may lead to accidents. I remember years ago in another forum someone had posted some story about how Atlantans seem to make more left-hand turns against traffic than many other cities, and others were asking why no one here seems to "plan" their daily trips around a circular pattern to make only right-hand turns into traffic. UPS tried something, and the results might surprise people (story HERE and an expanded view about waste when you drive too fast, etc HERE ).

Of course, we don't have to worry about turns on most of the Interstates, but once you combine people who drive too slow WITH people who think they are on the autobahn (but aren't) along with NASCAR wannabees, toss in a cell texter or two, tailgater, and the person who wants to cut across 5 lanes of traffic at once to make an exit - well, we could have enough laws to break to fill up a road Bible.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:08 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,947,584 times
When i was in asheville their manners were close to those of the germans. People ran out of the left lane pronto. At times i even felt bad, as if i were intruding (since im used to having to butt them out of there as per atlanta norm)..

Also in atlanta we have this syndrom where people assume just because there are cars around them, you must go slow because well, it is rush hour. So they just sit and linger.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:18 PM

All this talk about the left lane made me really observe our drive down to Florida today. On I-75, I noticed that the folks in S. Georgia were really good about utilizing their 6-lane interstate system as if it was the autobahn. It was quite a comfortable drive because everyone was going about 75 to 85-plus or so in the middle lane and the left lane was clear, except to pass. VERY few were going the speed limit and they were also cooperative so I was quite impressed by how everyone worked together. Since I haven't driven this particular trip in a decade, I couldn't say this is an everyday occurrence but it sure was beautiful tonight

It made me begin thinking about how certain areas seem to respect this "system" and others don't. The thing is that I don't think this syndrome of everyone taking matters in to their own hands is just in Atlanta. I notice it quite frequently on I-24 from Chattanooga to Nashville. So, I sure would love to see this bill passed. I think it would really ease up the traffic in many ways.

The UPS thing is quite interesting. It made me start to imagine a world where we all had "instructions" on HOW to plan our daily trips.... it's a bit too scary to imagine a computer teaching us to be more efficient and the all the drivers in Atlanta getting along like one big happy family

Old 02-19-2010, 08:50 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,815,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I guessing that flashing your lights and honking your horn pisses them off and makes them stay in the fast lane even longer.
thats when i get in front of them and go even slower until they change lanes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or