Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 04:57 PM

14 posts, read 35,290 times

Advertisements

So I was watching the news the other night, and this topic just caught my attention. Our lawmakers are proposing a bill that would put fastlane hoggers with a 75 dollar fine. This would make it illegal for you to not pass anyone or just cruise in the far left lanes. Do you think this is just another way for officers to pull us over? Personally I speed anyway and so does every Atlantan, so moving the slow pokes over is helping me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 05:02 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
i support it! the idea of the fast lane has always been pass and gtfo out of it. doesn't matter how fast you are going. it is not up to you to enforce any type of a limit by cruising in it.

imo this will really help the mile long lines of cars stuck behind somebody who will not move even after you flash him and horn him.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:08 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,801 times
My right foot and I fully support this!

Old 02-05-2010, 05:19 PM

City rover but you cant get out of the fastlane, I try to overtake and get back over but it seems like when I get back over i have to overtake AGAIN! so I just stay in the left lane. ericsonga, i think state patrol is using this to pull people over.

Most people are going to misinterpret this if it passes. They'll just do 80+ MPH no matter what and say "hey I am passing other folks so im fine" NOT!

Old 02-05-2010, 05:37 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
Sounds like lawmakers are desperate for any source of revenue they can get without "raising taxes."

Old 02-05-2010, 05:47 PM

Exactly then all those voters who voted for these folks would be like "you lied"!
But at least they somewhat understand your frustration when your trying to go 75 and the person in front of you is doing the minimum 40 and not budging for anyone!

Old 02-05-2010, 05:49 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
imo this will really help the mile long lines of cars stuck behind somebody who will not move even after you flash him and horn him.
I guessing that flashing your lights and honking your horn pisses them off and makes them stay in the fast lane even longer.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:00 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
This one I think is ridiculous and I have no idea what the hell they're thinking. It's already illegal to ride in the left lane, which is supposed to be for passing only, regardless of speed.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:50 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
They (including the lawmaker who introduced this bill) are confusing a "passing lane" for a "fast lane".

There is no such thing as a "fast lane". As mentioned above in a previous post, the left lane is for passing a slower vehicle only - not to stay in and drive at whatever speed you feel like driving. The posted speed limit for any given area remains in effect for ALL lanes at ALL times. If someone is in the land second from the left and they're going 60 in a 65 and you're behind them, then you use the left lane to pass that person, then get back over in front of them, and maintain the speed limit of 65 - not STAY in the left lane and drive 80. We don't have an autobahn here.

I fully support any bill that tickets someone who foolishly tries to drive under the speed limit in the left lanes. Slower traffic should remain in the right lane. But I also support ticketing people $$$$$ for thinking the left lane is a free-for-all speeding lane, too. Both can be dangerous on the roads.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:12 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie2011 View Post
City rover but you cant get out of the fastlane, I try to overtake and get back over but it seems like when I get back over i have to overtake AGAIN! so I just stay in the left lane. ericsonga, i think state patrol is using this to pull people over.

Most people are going to misinterpret this if it passes. They'll just do 80+ MPH no matter what and say "hey I am passing other folks so im fine" NOT!
even in the worst of traffic there are empty pockets due to people holding up cars behind them.

some folks blame our lack of culture on the creation of the left lane exit. to me that is just an excuse. such exits are far and non existant outside cities except for interstate junctions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: