U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 08:49 PM

11 posts, read 36,007 times

Advertisements

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on Suwanee for a family of 5. Shopping, schools, living, many kids, entertainment? Private vs. public schools?

We are considering the area and have 3 young kids. Is it a family friendly place?

And what is the best neighborhood in the area. and does anyone know about the demographics in the area of suwanee?

If you had to choose Suwanee vs Alpharetta which would it be?

Thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 10:28 PM

2,786 posts, read 9,788,652 times
Suwanee is very family oriented. Not sure what neighborhood would be best for you. I also don't know much about Alpharetta, so I won't comment. Schools depend on where in Suwanee you would live.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:13 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,007,499 times
This post is interesting to me as well. I wonder what locals like and dislike about Roswell, Alpharetta, and Suwanee? Also how do they compare?

Old 02-07-2010, 05:07 PM

Default river club

river club in suwanee, any thoughts on the public schools that this neighborhood attends?

Last edited by carrie33; 02-07-2010 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: schools

Old 02-08-2010, 11:01 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,581,436 times
North Gwinnett is regarded as a good school, however there are betters. Not sure about the elementary and middle schools though. Some may know better than I.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:40 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,007,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie33 View Post
river club in suwanee, any thoughts on the public schools that this neighborhood attends?
Wow. The River Club is a very nice community. Home prices have fallen quite a bit in there and there is still very high inventory, and the company that developed the land is in bankruptcy and to my knowledge they are only on Phase 2 of 4 or 5 phases. I noticed that you say you like older homes, and there are not any older homes in The River Club. I also hope that you are aware that prices in the River Club are still about $1,200,000+.

From what I have been told the public schools that are assigned to The River Club community are relatively good, however I do know of a family that was moving from Roswell who purchased a lot and built a home only to decide that they much preferred the school system in Roswell. From the research I have done on schools, I am leaning toward private if I were to move to the Atlanta area. It is my understanding that the public schools in North Fulton offer the best academics.

Wesleyan School (PK-12) came very well regarded, however it is "Christian", and they do have some practices that make me a little uncomfortable at first glance, like 2-4 day mission trips to other states and countries. I also was uncomfortable about the Bible study sessions, because the school wouldn't make clear to me how they would incorporate and sustain all of the different denominations the kids came from.

I was fairly impressed by their matriculation list. They had students in the class of 09 go on to attend Ivy League schools, as well as well regarded religious schools like Brigham Young University and Presbyterian University.

I think that Wesleyan provides a much better controlled environment than North Gwinnett or the other area public schools. I have also researched some other well regarded Christian and secular private schools in both Alpharetta and Roswell. I felt that the schools in Northern Atlanta city were too far to consider.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:41 AM

5 posts, read 17,242 times
We officially live in Sugar Hill, but we are steps from Suwanee and in the same school district as the River Club. It is a great area for families and the public schools have very high parental involvement. There are parks galore in this area, tons of community activities & sports for the kids. It is quiet and safe, people are friendly and it isn't quite as pretentious as Alpharetta. Suwanee is starting a community garden this year, they have many festivals at the town center, a farmers market weekly in season and it's an easy hop down 85 to get in town. If you like subdivisions & tennis, book clubs & bunko, and running into neighbors at the supermarket, this is could be the place for you.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:15 PM

thank you for the input. my research agrees, the schools are excellent and great quality of life

Old 02-21-2010, 06:58 AM

1,459 posts, read 4,459,958 times
My girls want me to move them to River Club so that they can be neighbors to singer Justin Bieber, who lives there. I told them that it was a little out of our price range but that I would start saving!

Old 04-04-2010, 08:26 PM

191 posts, read 406,733 times
North Gwinnett High School is a great school. I teach in Gwinnett County Schools, and believe me, as far as a public school goes, North Gwinnett is great. Personally, I prefer a school like North Gwinnett, where there is diversity, to what you get at a private school (not that I am knocking private schools, or anyone's choice to send their kids to a private school). Still, for me personally I prefer public schools. We live in Suwanee because we love the town, and the North Gwinnett school cluster. Suwanee is very laid back and also offers a lot in the way of outdoor activities. However, it is not as developed, and I do miss being in a more "city-ish" environment (we recently moved from downtown Nashville). Still, people are great and the town just keeps on growing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta