U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:18 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,945,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Here is a link I found that might help. Gwinnett and most of the other counties east of Atlanta rarely get affected by a tornado. However, it could happen, as it could also happen in Florida. Most of the severe weather falls onto the westside. Counties such as Carroll, Douglas, Paulding, and Cobb, get more than their fair share of inclement weather. The last tornado in Gwinnett was nearly 10 years ago.

http://www4.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-win/wwcgi.dll?wwevent~storms (http://www4.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-win/wwcgi.dll?wwevent%7Estorms - broken link)
Awesome site. Just went through it for Gwinnett and Florida. Thanks

Last edited by AJ1972; 02-08-2010 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 12:36 PM

11,319 posts, read 23,001,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Tornadoes in GA can be much more powerful than the ones in FL. My house was destroyed by an F3 tornado 2 years ago. F4 tornadoes have also occurred here. Last year we had baseball size hail also that destroyed the windshield on my car. Severe weather really starts in late February and lasts through May. I live west of Atlanta, however, and we get more severe weather than areas east of Atlanta which includes Gwinnett, so you should be a little safer there. Tornado Alley in GA is generally in the NW part of the state, mostly in Northwest and West Georgia.
F4 tornadoes happen in Georgia, but they are infrequent. The Tornado History Database web site shows 10 in Georgia since 1953, and six of those occurred on April 3, 1974:

TornadoHistoryProject.com - Tornado Maps and Database

There have been 55 F3 tornadoes in Georgia since 1953:

For comparison, Florida has had 2 F4 tornadoes and 33 F3 tornadoes during the same period, so Georgia does have more.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 02-08-2010 at 12:50 PM..

Old 02-08-2010, 12:36 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,362,442 times
I lived in Central FL during the bad tornadoes of 1998. In fact, I had to drive over to my parent's house (in a rural area) to see if it was still even there (they were on vacation at the time) There were many fatalities in the area where I grew up. Seeing that total devastation first hand made me terrified of tornadoes.

As I understand it, most of the tornadoes happen in NW or West Central GA (the storms always come from the west). My town here has been hit by several bad tornadoes including one in the 1990's. March seems to be very stormy here. I'm not looking forward to it at all. Prior to that bad storm in 1998 in FL, the only tornadoes my mother remembers there were very minor, and she lived there since 1944.

It seems that Central/ West Central FL and NW GA are both bad areas for tornado activity.

You should be fine down by Suwanee. The really bad areas are NW and West Central GA.

Last edited by MovedfromFL; 02-08-2010 at 12:50 PM..

Old 02-08-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
last year i got nailed by hail. nowhere to go.. I must say though, my new paintjob is quite nice.
Heh. My car was hit by hail twice in the same day last spring ... once in Austell on the E/W Connector, and once in Marietta in the Monster Golf parking lot.

It wasn't enough to cause any damage, tho. My 1994 Accord is tuff!

Old 02-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Oops. I was wrong ... only 5 of the 10 F4 tornadoes hit on that single date. I was reading the table too quickly.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:20 PM

606 posts, read 1,785,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Are you serious??? F3's and F4's??? Which F3 tornado 2 years ago? OMG!
Yes I'm serious. The F3 tornado that destroyed my house 2 years ago was in February, about 2 weeks before the tornado that hit downtown Atlanta.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Here is a link I found that might help. Gwinnett and most of the other counties east of Atlanta rarely get affected by a tornado. However, it could happen, as it could also happen in Florida. Most of the severe weather falls onto the westside. Counties such as Carroll, Douglas, Paulding, and Cobb, get more than their fair share of inclement weather. The last tornado in Gwinnett was nearly 10 years ago.

NCDC Storm Events-Select State (http://www4.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-win/wwcgi.dll?wwevent~storms - broken link)
Yeah, I live in Carroll and I don't know what it is but it seems like we always get the worst of severe weather. I really want to move away from here, and tornadoes is one of the main reasons. The last couple of years have just been insane.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
F4 tornadoes happen in Georgia, but they are infrequent. The Tornado History Database web site shows 10 in Georgia since 1953, and six of those occurred on April 3, 1974:

There have been 55 F3 tornadoes in Georgia since 1953:

For comparison, Florida has had 2 F4 tornadoes and 33 F3 tornadoes during the same period, so Georgia does have more.

Yeah, F4 tornadoes are rare in GA, but i've noticed that F3 tornadoes are becoming increasingly common here. I think I'd rather deal with hurricanes in FL than deal with tornadoes here. At least you have days to prepare for a hurricane. In my opinion, Tornadoes are by far the scariest weather phenomenon.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Yeah, F4 tornadoes are rare in GA, but i've noticed that F3 tornadoes are becoming increasingly common here. I think I'd rather deal with hurricanes in FL than deal with tornadoes here. At least you have days to prepare for a hurricane. In my opinion, Tornadoes are by far the scariest weather phenomenon.
In certain areas of Florida, the question isn't if you will get hit by a hurricane, the question is when.

Tornadoes are so rare and random that one can live in a mildly tornado-prone area for a lifetime and never see one.

Atlanta is on the southern edge of the tornado zone ... most of the tornado activity in the US is hundreds of miles north and west of here.

I lived in the Twin Cities for 40 years (which is on the northern edge, and which has about the same chance of seeing one as Atlanta does), as well as down here for 5, and the closest I've ever come to seeing a tornado are a few wall clouds that never spawned anything beyond a local rotation (no funnel). My Mom finally saw one up there and took a picture, and it was a big enough deal that she told everyone she knew about it. You just don't see them unless you're unlucky, or unless you're one of those storm chasers on TV, and even they know that Kansas and Oklahoma are better places to see them.

From looking at various tornado frequency maps online, there is a large area in central Florida which seems to have a significantly greater risk of seeing tornado activity than the state of Georgia. Are you sure you're safe? An F0 tornado can trash a house just as easily as an F4 in many situations.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:49 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,945,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
In certain areas of Florida, the question isn't if you will get hit by a hurricane, the question is when.

Tornadoes are so rare and random that one can live in a mildly tornado-prone area for a lifetime and never see one.

Atlanta is on the southern edge of the tornado zone ... most of the tornado activity in the US is hundreds of miles north and west of here.

I lived in the Twin Cities for 40 years (which is on the northern edge, and which has about the same chance of seeing one as Atlanta does), as well as down here for 5, and the closest I've ever come to seeing a tornado are a few wall clouds that never spawned anything beyond a local rotation (no funnel). My Mom finally saw one up there and took a picture, and it was a big enough deal that she told everyone she knew about it. You just don't see them unless you're unlucky, or unless you're one of those storm chasers on TV, and even they know that Kansas and Oklahoma are better places to see them.

From looking at various tornado frequency maps online, there is a large area in central Florida which seems to have a significantly greater risk of seeing tornado activity than the state of Georgia. Are you sure you're safe? An F0 tornado can trash a house just as easily as an F4 in many situations.
Good post.
citydata even says that Clermont (Orlando, Fl area), for example, chance for tornadic activity is 132% greater than the overall US average. Dacula is only like 94% greater (or something like that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or