U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2010, 03:18 AM
 
1,054 posts, read 2,943,953 times
Reputation: 173

Advertisements

Ok, does this happen often???
In South Florida we get Tornado Warnings, but if anything, the tornado is generally an F0 or F1.
In Central Florida they are more common, and a little larger.
When is tornado season in the Atlanta area, and do they happen often?
Do you get a lot of severe thunderstorms?

Again, we are looking in Gwinnett County (to live).

However, my last post : "April or May", had a couple of tornado comments, which have now made me a little nervous.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2010, 04:03 AM
 
Location: Acworth
1,352 posts, read 3,943,604 times
Reputation: 472
last year i got nailed by hail. nowhere to go.. I must say though, my new paintjob is quite nice.

It is rather rare and even rarer for them to hit something. But hail on the other hand will get you! Rome is hail central
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2010, 04:35 AM
 
9,124 posts, read 33,298,538 times
Reputation: 3570
Gwinnett is fairly safe- most of the severe storms that result in tornados start in the west and move across the metro, and they often die down prior to getting to Gwinnett. Even the storms that do hit are typically only F0 or F1 storms, and the damage is usually limited to some trees getting knocked down, which sometimes hit a house or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 12:18 AM
 
Location: West Metro Atlanta
606 posts, read 1,783,894 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Ok, does this happen often???
In South Florida we get Tornado Warnings, but if anything, the tornado is generally an F0 or F1.
In Central Florida they are more common, and a little larger.
When is tornado season in the Atlanta area, and do they happen often?
Do you get a lot of severe thunderstorms?

Again, we are looking in Gwinnett County (to live).

However, my last post : "April or May", had a couple of tornado comments, which have now made me a little nervous.

Thanks.
Tornadoes in GA can be much more powerful than the ones in FL. My house was destroyed by an F3 tornado 2 years ago. F4 tornadoes have also occurred here. Last year we had baseball size hail also that destroyed the windshield on my car. Severe weather really starts in late February and lasts through May. I live west of Atlanta, however, and we get more severe weather than areas east of Atlanta which includes Gwinnett, so you should be a little safer there. Tornado Alley in GA is generally in the NW part of the state, mostly in Northwest and West Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 07:00 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,125 posts, read 36,367,127 times
Reputation: 15465
Anyone remember the 1975 tornado that passed across Buckhead and wrecked the Governor's Mansion? It knocked out a third of the columns, among other things. Governor Busbee was in the shower when it struck. It killed 3 and injured 150.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 08:00 AM
 
1,054 posts, read 2,943,953 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Tornadoes in GA can be much more powerful than the ones in FL. My house was destroyed by an F3 tornado 2 years ago. F4 tornadoes have also occurred here. Last year we had baseball size hail also that destroyed the windshield on my car. Severe weather really starts in late February and lasts through May. I live west of Atlanta, however, and we get more severe weather than areas east of Atlanta which includes Gwinnett, so you should be a little safer there. Tornado Alley in GA is generally in the NW part of the state, mostly in Northwest and West Georgia.
Are you serious??? F3's and F4's??? Which F3 tornado 2 years ago? OMG!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 08:13 AM
 
2,683 posts, read 5,316,988 times
Reputation: 940
Lived here over 2 years and there are warnings and such but usually its not a big deal where I live intown. Seems like the same outlying areas get hit each time, usually west of Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 08:14 AM
 
1,054 posts, read 2,943,953 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Lived here over 2 years and there are warnings and such but usually its not a big deal where I live intown. Seems like the same outlying areas get hit each time, usually west of Atlanta.
Which county are you in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 09:08 AM
 
2,683 posts, read 5,316,988 times
Reputation: 940
Fulton. I would say if your interested in Gwinnett do some research on the area regarding tornadoes. The only area that seems to consistently have a lot of threats is west of the city (Douglas County etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Which county are you in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2010, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,262 posts, read 2,581,127 times
Reputation: 967
Here is a link I found that might help. Gwinnett and most of the other counties east of Atlanta rarely get affected by a tornado. However, it could happen, as it could also happen in Florida. Most of the severe weather falls onto the westside. Counties such as Carroll, Douglas, Paulding, and Cobb, get more than their fair share of inclement weather. The last tornado in Gwinnett was nearly 10 years ago.

http://www4.ncdc.noaa.gov/cgi-win/wwcgi.dll?wwevent~storms (broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top