U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:41 AM

1 posts, read 877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatiswrong View Post
Which are you more worried about, your religion or ethnicity being different from the rest?
Let's be honest here. I don't think islam teaches that christians or jews should be treated the same as muslims. (If you think otherwise, i don't know what version of Quran you are reading.) Having said that I think a muslim living in south atlanta is much better off than a christian or jew living in Pakistan.
For all your generic exurb-based faux-"progress" down there in Atlanta you sure have the same backward religious bigotry as the surrounding regions. The guy is simply asking for a place where he can move his family and raise his kids without harassment and instead of dishing out some of that storied "Southern hospitality" you instead ***** at him with your Glenn Beck/Mike Savage talking points. Why don't you run along to your tacky exurbian cookiecutter McMansion 80 miles from downtown and leave discussion of global cultures to people who live in places where they interact with the ethnicities they claim so much knowledge about. I was in NYC a few weeks ago and Muslims there are visible every day, which is probably why they don't **** a brick at the sight of a headscarved woman like people on your street do, even though they suffered 9/11 not you.

The fact of the matter is that neither of the other 2 Middle Eastern religions tell you to treat people of other faiths the same. Jews, for example, are allowed to enslave only non-Jews and can only charge interest to non-Jews. That doesn't stop me from having perfectly normal personal relations with all manners of Jews here in Boston, without reminding them that this non-Jewish country treats them better than "they" treat non-Jews in the West Bank.

Oh and one more thing, the CVS pharmacy nearest to my house is run by Bangladeshi Muslims (2 men and what appears to be the wife of one of them) plus an old religious Jew who is bearded and wears a yarmulke. That's what this country is about: everybody's welcome but check your overseas grievances and prejudices at the door.

Last edited by doobieboy; 03-30-2010 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: Accidental omission
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 07:41 PM

73 posts, read 144,877 times
You brought a smile to my face doobieboy. I was tempted to respond to this thread but had to stop in my tracks as my question had nothing to do with religion and how it plays a role in our lives. There are fanatics everywhere so one inflammatory response isn't bad. Maybe whatiswrong has this notion that all people from Southeast Asia area are either cabbies, 7-11, gas station or motel owners with a simple goal of making money in life(not that there's anything wrong with it) and have an IQ of < 70. I have lived all over the US including the Northeast, Midwest and Florida. I was told by people not to move to the South and that 'they' look at everything in the world from a right-wing Christian, conservative perspective. I have made some fantastic friends here. We just can't generalize people. But I do appreciate your candid response and level headedness. I am glad to know people like you exist. You have my gratitude. I wish I could move to Boston but for the cost of living and the cold weather(phew) . Best wishes.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 18,737 times
Religion produces bigotry of all sorts. I am sick and tired of hearing how religion teaches tolerance, how great Islam is, how much cooler and open-minded Muslims think they are than right-wing Christians, blah, blah, blah. Bull f******* ****! At least, don't lie about what religion teaches, especially your own (confusedprotoplasm). Just admit that although you are a Muslim by label, you don't subscribe to what Islam teaches about how to treat nonbelievers but you are a cool, liberal intellectual. You have no right to judge right-wing Christians, how bad they are, because radical Muslims are miles far worse than right-wing Christians.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:02 PM

4,465 posts, read 4,639,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatiswrong View Post
Religion produces bigotry of all sorts. I am sick and tired of hearing how religion teaches tolerance, how great Islam is, how much cooler and open-minded Muslims think they are than right-wing Christians, blah, blah, blah. Bull f******* ****! At least, don't lie about what religion teaches, especially your own (confusedprotoplasm). Just admit that although you are a Muslim by label, you don't subscribe to what Islam teaches about how to treat nonbelievers but you are a cool, liberal intellectual. You have no right to judge right-wing Christians, how bad they are, because radical Muslims are miles far worse than right-wing Christians.
Not really, crazy people are crazy people radicals are wing nuts. Christianity and Muslim both teach people not kill and etc, not to long ago an abortion doctor was murder by a Christian radical. Some people are nuts, some one atheist can be nut, religion has noting to with it so stop judging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta