U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:19 AM

1,749 posts, read 2,362,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
No, she doesn't. Roslyn may not share your POV (or mine), but her posts are intelligent, well-considered and sincere. Her gifts as a writer are always evident. Even if I don't agree with her, her posts are compelling enough to give me pause to consider...just as I'm doing here.
I don't always agree with Roslyn either, but I have yet to read a post of hers that ISN'T well-crafted, well thought out, and just plain thought provoking reading...

And as far as her having 'issues'? Well, that's just another ladle from the big honking crock of BS that some folk love dipping into, when they see that other folks aren't gonna kiss their ring or other southerly body parts, and actually have an opinion and don't buy into the okey-doke...

I am black, same as Roslyn, and if I see a race-oriented thread or issue here, then I will comment on it, to the best of my ability...and if people say I have issues because of that, well, tough tooter, because I will not bow to your supposed superiority, nor will I be silent...

Lovin', please excuse me for using your reply as a 'bully pulpit' so to speak, but the post you replied to just got me really riled up, and I wanted you (and Roslyn) to know you weren't alone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 08:31 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,464,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
No, she doesn't. Roslyn may not share your POV (or mine), but her posts are intelligent, well-considered and sincere. Her gifts as a writer are always evident. Even if I don't agree with her, her posts are compelling enough to give me pause to consider...just as I'm doing here.
This.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:48 AM

2,531 posts, read 5,577,003 times
I think this is a coincidence. The Yellow Line in the DC area goes to Northern Virginia, which is where a large amount of the Asian community lives, and I don't see anyone getting offended by it.

And Yellow is an easily identifiable, primary color. I do notice that "Orange Lines" tend to occur more than "Yellow Lines" in many cities (San Diego, Chicago, proposed light rail line in Dallas, etc.).

FWIW, LA has a "Gold Line" on their system.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:01 AM

14,385 posts, read 23,049,595 times
I'm Roslyn, Lady Lovin, and Captain.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post

A helpful and appropriate map for all participating on this thread...

MARTA > Schedules And Maps > Rail Schedules or Route

Old 02-09-2010, 09:02 AM

8,020 posts, read 12,547,245 times
Pesonally, in my capacity as a half asian, think the line designation should change though not exactly for the same reasons as the group in the story.

When MARTA changed the names of the lines to colors, I was probably just like everyone else that thought it was a good thing and I didn't really think much outside of it. Then a month or two a go a friend of mine brought up the fact the Yellow line goes right into the heart of Atlanta's asian community. For about five minutes it bothered me, but then after realizing that no one at MARTA would intentionally do something to upset the residents of the area with something like that I moved on.

However, I think the Gold Line would be a much better name for the trains going to Doraville. It just has a nicer ring to it. If MARTA doesn't change it however, it won't be such a big deal for me and it would seem quite understandable. They would have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to change maps, the website, and other literature.

For those who think the term "yellow" isn't a big deal and that we should "just get over it", you should remember there is nothing to "get over". Racism and stereotypes against Asians is still extremely pervasive in our society. If you doubt this, how many times have you seen a movie with a Long Duk Dong type character that was nerdy in appearance, had a bad accent, and was constantly emasculated for the pleasure of the view audience?

Obviously, changing the name of subway line isn't going to solve this problem or even do much to change peoples perceptions, but you must also understand that the reason why people are sensitive to these sorts of things.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:07 AM

8,020 posts, read 12,547,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Right, and everything you've mentioned took place at least 2 generations ago. At some point people have to get over the victimhood and move on. Times and people have changed.
I know everyone is already picking on you, but you should seriously consider your words. For instance, should Jews just "get over" the Holocaust? That was three generations ago, so based on your reasoning that should never even be brought up. What about how Jews talk about being slaves? That was 5000 years ago and more generations than I can count

When people talk about the injustices of the past, in relation to the injustices of the present, it isn't so that we could gain some sort of shame based upper hand. It is used as a reminder to those who would rather not think about it to remember where we have been as a society and that we would rather not return to that type of environment.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:08 AM

479 posts, read 594,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I seriously doubt that, as she is in an interracial marriage. But keep on making ignorant assumptions...
Indeed, how ignorant of me not to realize she is in an interracial marriage. hahahahah

Throwing insults around does your case no good.

Its no concern of mine if you dont want to hear the truth about how whites feel. Same old story. Im out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
To Captain and LD,

Please show me where I questioned Roslyn's intelligence or demanded anyone "bow to my supposed superiority"? Would you like to put any more words in my mouth? I am feeling a bit hungry at the moment, hahah

People can have issues and still be "talented writers".

I am white. I can TELL YOU that when black people rage at whites and accuse them of propagating slavery or try and make us feel guilty about ourselves, all it does is push us in the "wrong direction".

You dont have to like it. You dont have to agree with it. But 1) as I am white and you are not, 2) I know better than you what whites feel and say "behind closed doors".

Its one thing to "outlaw" discrimination. Its a whole other to MAKE people believe or think what you want. You sure cant accomplish it through degrading an entire culture's history. We will not stand by and agree with gross mischaracterizations that our ancestors were "bad" and yours were "good".

As I said, it is obvious Roslyn has no interest in a "coming together" of the races. She is purely about revenge for "histoircal injustices" and the imposition of reverse subjugation. Never going to happen.

1) LD is not white? Lol...another ignorant assumption.

2) Trust me...people know what many whites feel and say "behind closed doors." I applaud you for admitting it.

2,531 posts, read 5,577,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I know everyone is already picking on you, but you should seriously consider your words. For instance, should Jews just "get over" the Holocaust? That was three generations ago so based on your reasoning that should never even brought up. What about how Jews talk about being slaves? That was 5000 years and more generations than I can count

When people talk about the injustices of the past, in relation to the injustices of the present, it isn't so that we could gain some sort of shame based upper hand. It is used as a reminder to those who would rather not think about to remember where we have been as a society and that would rather not return to that type of environment.

Good points. Some people would rather bury their heads in the sand than hear some truth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or