U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:09 AM

14,385 posts, read 23,049,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I think this is a coincidence. The Yellow Line in the DC area goes to Northern Virginia, which is where a large amount of the Asian community lives, and I don't see anyone getting offended by it.

And Yellow is an easily identifiable, primary color. I do notice that "Orange Lines" tend to occur more than "Yellow Lines" in many cities (San Diego, Chicago, proposed light rail line in Dallas, etc.).

FWIW, LA has a "Gold Line" on their system.

Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 09:13 AM

2,531 posts, read 5,577,003 times
Is CityFanatic/ScraperEnthusiast back? I guess he is! Oh happy happy, joy! Joy!

Now, back to the MARTA line before Greg puts the padlock on here...

Old 02-09-2010, 09:44 AM

1,603 posts, read 2,866,702 times
I've got to jump into the mix just a tad for some clarification. As a person who does not live in Atlanta, but is a frequent visitor to your awesome city (at least every other month).

I've ridden the MARTA quite a few times over the years and I always thought it was the yellow line, the blue, the green, the red and the orange.

I remember looking at the maps extensively to try and figure out where I was going and the colors were always there. I remember this going back as far as 2004.

Why is this an issue now? Just curious and maybe someone could help me out.

BTW, you all are sooooo lucky you get to live in such an amazing city

Old 02-09-2010, 09:53 AM

2,531 posts, read 5,577,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
I've got to jump into the mix just a tad for some clarification. As a person who does not live in Atlanta, but is a frequent visitor to your awesome city (at least every other month).

I've ridden the MARTA quite a few times over the years and I always thought it was the yellow line, the blue, the green, the red and the orange.

I remember looking at the maps extensively to try and figure out where I was going and the colors were always there. I remember this going back as far as 2004.

Why is this an issue now? Just curious and maybe someone could help me out.

BTW, you all are sooooo lucky you get to live in such an amazing city

I know that the maps have been colored (no pun intended, I swear) as such for quite awhile now. But I think that it wasn't officially changed until October 2009.

What is known as the "Red Line" was the "North-South Line"
"Yellow Line" - Northeast-South Line
"Blue Line" - East West Line
"Green Line" - Bankhead Line

I remember when the MARTA maps were just Blue for the East-West line and Orange for the North/Northeast-South lines. Which explains why you'll still see Orange signage on many of the North-South stations. If and when MARTA changes the signage to the appropriate colors, I do not know. I always liked how Chicago and DC sign their systems.

FWIW, BART in SF/Oakland still designates/refers to their lines according to destinations rather than a shorthand name (i.e, "Red Line"), in spite of the fact that they have consistently colored their lines the same way for quite awhile now.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:45 AM

4,091 posts, read 4,941,818 times
So.... They named one of their lines after one of the three primary colors... And because of a neighborhood it passes through, it's racist?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:11 AM

1,454 posts, read 4,042,791 times
Is this animosity between whites/blacks/etc a common occurrence in the Atlanta area?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:14 AM

23,125 posts, read 36,356,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Is this animosity between whites/blacks/etc a common occurrence in the Atlanta area?
No, not at all. This is a forum, not the city itself...in case you hadn't noticed.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:31 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,827,816 times
Next thing you know, the Orange line will go through the Wonka Chocolate Factory because of the Oopma Loompas.

Just kidding. Thought I would try to lighten the mood.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:35 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,580,749 times
Woah, apparently I've been working too hard this morning. I haven't had a chance to get in on this...

I, like pretty much everyone here, doesn't believe that anyone ever intended to offend someone with this. I would really chalk it up to to coincidence. However, if it does truly offend someone, then I think they should go ahead and change it. Life is too short to try and argue to someone if they believe they are offended or not.

Also, before this thread is closed, because I see it coming, I'll say something. I truly hope that by the time my unborn children are grown that these conversations will essentially be moot. I don't think that we should ever forget the past, and I am thankful we have people to remind us of what is wrong. The past too often repeats itself. However, the vast majority of people that I grew up with or went to school with, rarely see the color of skin for more than it is. Apparently I'm not privy to what "white people say behind closed doors," because in my house, race is rarely brought up.

Let's all just put on our big girl panties and get over ourselves!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:37 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,738,590 times
WARNING: Does it really need to be said that vacations are going to be issued if people continue to bicker back and forth instead of at least trying to remotely stay on topic? No... I didn't think so. Thank you.

And getting BACK to the topic...

The problem I feel in my opinion, is that those who have been in Atlanta for some times are only just now, barely, understanding that Atlanta has become an International city and is no longer just "black and white", which it has been for so many decades. For many years, white and black residents have only seen those two shades of the city, with a tiny sprinkling of foreign-born residents scattered about here and there who were never even acknowledged. Then poof - the Olympics hits and we're on the world map, and poof again, people from every corner of the world starts to move and/or visit here. Yet, the older residents still only see black and white.

Now, it's easy for the again, "old timers" in Atlanta to say that it was a simple mistake to name a line that goes into the Asian areas of the city the "Yellow" line. However, if someone on the MARTA board had stood up that day and suggested that the South line be named the "Black line", the North line the "White line", or for that matter the Midtown stations the "Rainbow line", then folks on that board would have immediately stood up and done a "Whoah there now... no way!!!". However, the board is again composed of mostly very old timer residents here - oops, we forgot what yellow might mean to some folks, because those folks don't exist (in our eyes) here! Where did they come from?? (oh, um, they were already here, folks).

Do I think the Yellow line was named on purpose? Who knows? I've known plenty of whites who would sneak in little racist "jokes" into daily things, and likewise, I've known plenty of racist blacks who have done the same thing. Things like this are not necessarily innocent mistakes, but many times they are. You'll never really know the motivation of those who originally suggest it. Regardless though, even if as Beverly Scott said, "things are already printed" - the issue is now up front and they should just reprint the maps.

Gold is actually an important material in many Asian cultures used in statues, monuments, and architecture, so I would actually think it would be a compliment if they named that line the GOLD line instead of the Yellow line - and I'm not of Asian descent. imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or