U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,980,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Gold is actually an important material in many Asian cultures used in statues, monuments, and architecture, so I would actually think it would be a compliment if they named that line the GOLD line instead of the Yellow line - and I'm not of Asian descent. imo.
Are there any large Jewish concentrations along the proposed Gold Line? Would they potentially find it offensive? I know at least one who would if they lived in that area, I suspect.

While I do understand the concern, and while renaming the line might be a good solution, I admit I find this whole conversation rather sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 12:23 PM

14,385 posts, read 23,049,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Are there any large Jewish concentrations along the proposed Gold Line? Would they potentially find it offensive? I know at least one who would if they lived in that area, I suspect.

While I do understand the concern, and while renaming the line might be a good solution, I admit I find this whole conversation rather sad.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:30 PM

8,020 posts, read 12,547,245 times
Quote:

Off of Tilly Mill, there is large Hasidic community, and the bus line connects directly to Doraville Station....

Old 02-09-2010, 01:07 PM

288 posts, read 848,452 times
That whole story, oh man, what a waste of a story. Seriously, if someone gets yellow line being racist for the name of a train station finding it offensive they got serious issues. Are people really sitting around thinking of these random thoughts? What is this world coming to. We dont go over to Asia and say, "oh I think this or that is racist cause it's bad slang for a white person, shoot we wouldnt be able to tell if it was or wasnt anyway cause everything looks like this: (&*^*&#^$#*^%#. Hmm, lemme see, yes, that is racist.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:11 PM

18,918 posts, read 27,992,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I think this is a coincidence. The Yellow Line in the DC area goes to Northern Virginia, which is where a large amount of the Asian community lives, and I don't see anyone getting offended by it.

The Yellow line also shares the same tracks with the Green Line going through Chinatown in DC.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:21 PM

7,858 posts, read 15,191,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I agree, neil, but it seems like it would be simple enough to make the change to another color. Why create a tempest in a teapot?
Agree. As I said in my initial post on the thread, it's tone deaf and probably should be changed just because of that fact. I don't believe that any ill intent was at work.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:24 PM

7,858 posts, read 15,191,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
No, she doesn't. Roslyn may not share your POV (or mine), but her posts are intelligent, well-considered and sincere. Her gifts as a writer are always evident. Even if I don't agree with her, her posts are compelling enough to give me pause to consider...just as I'm doing here.
I agree. Thoughtful discussion is very helpful and various opinions are to be expected and encouraged. I will add my perspective and respect those posters who add theirs in a respectful way.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:02 PM

3,528 posts, read 4,382,485 times
I feel the same way. I guess all we can do is wait for time to heal these wounds from yesteryear.

I think that day may likely be about 2 generations or more as some others have previously mentioned... long after people like you & me are gone from the earth, provided that Americans stay on the course of a truely PROGRESSIVE unity.

Quote:

Old 02-09-2010, 05:37 PM

228 posts, read 407,905 times
Guys, I don't want to offend anybody, but I think that this whole think is overblown. Before anyone calls me racist, I have african-american, asian, caucasion, and hispanic friends.

All these people want to do is change it from yellow to gold line. That seems pointless and overly sensitive. If they really feel that way fine, but that's just my opinion.

Also, do they really think that they could get any kind of case in court?

If that's what they want to do, best luck to them. Personally, I would just let it go.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,346 times
Chinese refer to themselves and other Asians (Mongoloids) as "Huang zhong ren", which means "Yellow people". White people (Caucasoids) are called "Bai zhong ren", or "white people", etc. There are also 1.3 BILLION Chinese, so it is obviously not racist to them.
Furthermore, many white people probably don't consider themselves as "white" but can't escape being called a color, whereas black people are increasingly being called "African American" to be "politically correct" (despite them not being African, just black Americans)

That aside, Indians are Caucasian, not Asian (Arabs and Persians are also Caucasian), so they shouldn't be offended by it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or