U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 06:31 AM

14,385 posts, read 23,049,595 times

Advertisements

I like color-coded lines. I think it works very well.

If colors aren't used, I think using letters is good. (Line A, B, C, etc.)

I don't think numbers work well for subway/metro/rail lines because numbers are usually used for bus routes (in almost all cities).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 07:00 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,827,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Personally, I think naming the lines something other than colors would be a better idea since it is more original. Other cities like San Diego, LA, SF, and DC also have color-coded lines. New York uses the alphabet system. I think the North-South Line should be called the Peach Line (since it runs parallel with Peachtree St.).

They could also name it after the Japanese words for directions, like they name the subway lines in their cities. The North-South Line could be renamed the Namboku Line (which is Japanese for North-South), the East-West Line could be called the Tozai Line, and the Northeast Line could be called the Tohoku Line. The former Proctor Creek Line could just be called the Bankhead Line. Come to think of it, I like the old names of the lines the way they were, now knowing that its what they do in the Japanese cities. Also the old names were self-explanatory for the direction you want to go, since I'm going to have a hard time remembering that its the Red Line I want to take to Dunwoody instead of the Gold One. The only way I remember the Gold Line goes to Doraville is the whole controversy from formerly calling it the Yellow Line.
I am from the Bay Area. Bart did have color coded lines, but really no one paid attention. We always called it the Fremont train, the Daly City train. The colors are more to show the direct trains and where you might have to transfer trains to get to your destination. When trains come into the station they show the name of the destination and not the color. That happens in the Bay Area as well as Atlanta.

People are making too much out of the color. Smiley faces are yellow, maybe we asians should take solace in that.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:01 AM

239 posts, read 835,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
The only way I remember the Gold Line goes to Doraville is the whole controversy from formerly calling it the Yellow Line.
I think many of us will remember this. It will make for a good story 20-30 years from now when our rail system is more developed and expansive. We can sit around and say I remember when........

Old 02-12-2010, 04:57 PM

178 posts, read 551,829 times
All I have to say is if it was the White Line this would be all over the news for being "Racist".

Old 02-12-2010, 05:31 PM

632 posts, read 1,626,150 times
I think that they should leave the name of the line as is. First of all, the last time I checked there are many non-Asian residents who reside along the yellow line, in the Doraville/Buford Hwy. area. In fact the Mexican presence in the area is just as significant as the Asian presence. If they had used a non-primary color, such as brown, to designate the line the "brown line", that would seem conspicuously .... well ... out of line.

Also, where does one stop? Has anyone noticed that one of the lines heading through Atlanta from west to east (through largely African-American areas) is termed the "blue line", while one heading toward the northern suburbs (North Springs) is designated as the "red line". Maybe some people will draw some inferences there - racially and politically charged ones.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:46 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,636,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Frankly, I am glad that other minority groups are organizing and speaking out against what they feel is wrong. MARTA would never be able to get away with naming the south line the "black line", so why should they be able to get away with a "yellow line" that goes to Doraville? Other minority groups have been ignored in Atlanta for some time now, for various reasons, and its time for that to change.

As a native, I often wonder if even some of the old guard who served on the Olympic Committee in 1990 are now cursing the "great idea" Billy Payne had for our city. I know some natives who wish that Atlanta had never even been a candidate city. Of course, Atlanta was bound to change, as every city does. But I dont think anyone knew how drastically the pace and magnitude of that change would be altered on that day in September 1990.

Now, 20 years later, these post-Olympic communities are asserting thier prescense in the city, and they have a right to do so. Its interesting to see a controversy like this because its only more evidence of much Atlanta has changed. The people at MARTA need to wake up and realize that this isnt the Atlanta of 20 years ago, or even 10 years ago. Atlanta is an "international city" now, and the sensitivities of all minority groups need to be considered, not just those of black people.

Im not Asian, but I think they should rename it to the gold line simply out of fairness and respect to the established Asian community. And I doubt that any off the Hasidic Jews who live off Tilly Mill in Dundwoody, and who are served by the Dunwoody MARTA Station/North Springs Line, would object to a "gold" Doraville Line.
WOW?!!I kinda agree with everything you said!!We should sing "kum baya" before you say something else to screw it up.lol

Old 02-12-2010, 05:47 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,636,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
On that same note, we should rename the blue line up to the Decatur station the plaid line....
Took me a minute,but I finally had the light bulb go off!!LOL!!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:17 AM

5,196 posts, read 6,391,131 times
I am on the Doraville train now, and annoucer is calling it the GOLD line....I guess they got what thay wanted.

GOLD LINE

Old 04-12-2010, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,140 times
This is fascinating.

I would point any interested folks to the debate a couple years back (though I guess technically ongoing) about the color of the new Exposition Blvd. light rail line in Los Angeles. Some South LA activists came pretty close to accusing the MTA and Westside activists of racism for wanting to color it Aqua... the argument being that aqua alluded to the (majority white) beach cities like Santa Monica where the line would end up but ignored the many predominantly Black and Latino neighborhoods through which most of the line would run. Still under construction, the line is just being called the "Expo Line" even while all others are named for colors. And the Expo Line is currently colored black...

Old 04-12-2010, 09:15 PM

13,348 posts, read 18,627,137 times
I thought Asian people generally didn't lower themselves to the point of race-baiting, but I guess I was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or