Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:48 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times

Advertisements

LOL a friend of mine (gay male) just e-mailed me a proposal to name the section of MARTA between North Avenue and Arts Center Stations the Pink Line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 06:55 AM

254 posts, read 369,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highriser987 View Post
shoot we wouldnt be able to tell if it was or wasnt anyway cause everything looks like this: (&*^*&#^$#*^%#. Hmm, lemme see, yes, that is racist.
hahahahahah

Old 02-10-2010, 08:46 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times
Frankly, I am glad that other minority groups are organizing and speaking out against what they feel is wrong. MARTA would never be able to get away with naming the south line the "black line", so why should they be able to get away with a "yellow line" that goes to Doraville? Other minority groups have been ignored in Atlanta for some time now, for various reasons, and its time for that to change.

As a native, I often wonder if even some of the old guard who served on the Olympic Committee in 1990 are now cursing the "great idea" Billy Payne had for our city. I know some natives who wish that Atlanta had never even been a candidate city. Of course, Atlanta was bound to change, as every city does. But I dont think anyone knew how drastically the pace and magnitude of that change would be altered on that day in September 1990.

Now, 20 years later, these post-Olympic communities are asserting thier prescense in the city, and they have a right to do so. Its interesting to see a controversy like this because its only more evidence of much Atlanta has changed. The people at MARTA need to wake up and realize that this isnt the Atlanta of 20 years ago, or even 10 years ago. Atlanta is an "international city" now, and the sensitivities of all minority groups need to be considered, not just those of black people.

Im not Asian, but I think they should rename it to the gold line simply out of fairness and respect to the established Asian community. And I doubt that any off the Hasidic Jews who live off Tilly Mill in Dundwoody, and who are served by the Dunwoody MARTA Station/North Springs Line, would object to a "gold" Doraville Line.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:31 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
LOL a friend of mine (gay male) just e-mailed me a proposal to name the section of MARTA between North Avenue and Arts Center Stations the Pink Line.
On that same note, we should rename the blue line up to the Decatur station the plaid line....

Old 02-10-2010, 10:43 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,674 times
Marta will not get any sympathy from me. I've given it way too many chances to disappoint me. Buses/trains run on what i gather is a "suggested" schedule. The employees are amongst the surliest, most ill-tempered people in this city which is sad because Marta is one of the first impressions tourists get of this city.

This was a stupid, careless mistake and is just another indicator of the boneheaded leadership of Marta. perhaps there is some overreaction on the part of the Asian community but i can't say I blame them for questioning the judgement behind naming the Doraville Line the yellow line.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:44 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
This topic sums up why the government can't, won't and never will make people happy. Too bad the transit system isn't privately owned so the people running it could simply tell those that are offended by something as ridiculous as the color yellow to take a hike. Literally.

The metro in Barcelona, Spain has a brown, red and yellow line. They even have a purple one to **** off the homosexuals. They must be well on their way to the land of racism with those colors.

How freaking ridiculous.............

Old 02-10-2010, 03:05 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,031 times
I think that we should make all the lines clear. Do away with the colors all together! Who's with me! What do you expect for two bucks! Hop on a train and take your chances. You end up where you end up.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I think that we should make all the lines clear. Do away with the colors all together! Who's with me! What do you expect for two bucks! Hop on a train and take your chances. You end up where you end up.
The colors are there to help the non-residents find their way around. It would be mayhem otherwise.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:06 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The colors are there to help the non-residents find their way around. It would be mayhem otherwise.
I was joking.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I was joking.
I got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta