Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:50 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,963,564 times

Advertisements

Marta ‘yellow line' to Doraville angers some in Asian community *| ajc.com

I thought this was really interesting....thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,963,564 times
Yeah....just saw this was just posted on another thread...whoops...

Old 02-08-2010, 11:08 PM

16,642 posts, read 29,333,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post

I'm just glad that Atlanta/MARTA has finally named the four lines as colors...this should have happened a long time ago. It would have been so good for the city to have connotations like, "Take the Red Line to the Buckhead Station..." or "I live on the Blue Line...", etc. Maybe in time this will happen.

Re-naming the Yellow Line the Gold Line could possibly be a solution (but, I do think if it was just happenstance that the newly-named Yellow Line happenes to go through Doraville/Chamblee.) Most cities with metros/subways have a Yellow Line.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:41 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,133,531 times
Bad coincidence, and probably should be changed just because it can easily be changed, but geez....some people see racism under every rock. Does anyone really think that someone purposely named it the yellow line because he/she knew that's a somewhat racist term for Asians? Come on.

Should I be mad because my sandwiches are made on "white bread" .... I mean what has happened in this society where everything in viewed through a racial prism?

Old 02-09-2010, 05:50 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,603,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
.... I mean what has happened in this society where everything in viewed through a racial prism?
Gee, I dunno, a hundred years of Jim Crow....internment camps...Wounded Knee...can't imagine where those racial prisms came from.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,133,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Gee, I dunno, a hundred years of Jim Crow....internment camps...Wounded Knee...can't imagine where those racial prisms came from.
Right, and everything you've mentioned took place at least 2 generations ago. At some point people have to get over the victimhood and move on. Times and people have changed.

Today we have a man in the white house....love him or hate him....who is part black. We have completely eliminated all de jure racism and instituted safeguards at all levels of government and business to officially discourage and eliminate the occurances of racism.

Does that mean that no individuals do anything racist? Of course not, but it does mean that official sanctioning of any kind of racism has been elmininated. Children for 50 years, myself and my children included, have been raised in an integrated society and look at their friends as just that...and not white or black. It's time that some adults catch up with the kids.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:36 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,389,006 times
I'm asian and I'm really not offended. There are many older asians that probably have more experience with prejudicial behavior from others. There are so many other colors to choose from. It's not like they had a limited choice.

What if we had an Indian Reservation in the Atlanta Metro and we called the line going into it the Red line (if it wasn't already taken)? It might raise some more eyebrows.

Again, I'm not offended, but I can see how some people might be sensitive to it.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:47 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,603,958 times
Do you really think that people are going to take some type of mind altering drug that makes them forget their history? The Irish still haven't forgotten the potato famine and British culpability. The Catholic and the Greek Orthodox churches still don't trust one another and the list goes on. In this case we're talking about things that went down that people who are still alive experienced. I went to segregated schools, I was one of the first kids to integrate the schools in my hometown. Feelings are going to still feel tender about it for some time to come. And certainly you're going to give it at least a thought when these things happen. I hardly think being dismissive of it when we actually had (and still have) laws on the books that are nauseatingly racist. Interracial marriages were still technically illegal in Alabama until 2004, and it was only overturned by 60% of the voters. (Yes, I know it was overturned by the SCOTUS 40 years ago, but it's still on the books.) A Justice of the Peace in LA refused to marry an interracial couple just last year. Laws change, but unfortunately, people's hearts don't change as rapidly. Rush Limbaugh notwithstanding, Barrack Obama is NOT a magical negro, it will take many generations for the injustices that were done to be overcome.

Quote:
Right, and everything you've mentioned took place at least 2 generations ago. At some point people have to get over the victimhood and move on. Times and people have changed.

Today we have a man in the white house....love him or hate him....who is part black. We have completely eliminated all de jure racism and instituted safeguards at all levels of government and business to officially discourage and eliminate the occurances of racism.

Does that mean that no individuals do anything racist? Of course not, but it does mean that official sanctioning of any kind of racism has been elmininated. Children for 50 years, myself and my children included, have been raised in an integrated society and look at their friends as just that...and not white or black. It's time that some adults catch up with the kids.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:24 AM

23,347 posts, read 43,816,584 times
Quote:
Bad coincidence, and probably should be changed just because it can easily be changed, but geez....some people see racism under every rock. Does anyone really think that someone purposely named it the yellow line because he/she knew that's a somewhat racist term for Asians? Come on.

Should I be mad because my sandwiches are made on "white bread" .... I mean what has happened in this society where everything in viewed through a racial prism?
I agree, neil, but it seems like it would be simple enough to make the change to another color. Why create a tempest in a teapot?

Old 02-09-2010, 07:41 AM

23,347 posts, read 43,816,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
Roslyn, you have major issues. Every post I have read of yours is seething with rage at historical "injustices". I get the sense that your sole interest is in "revenge" in the present day. My guess is you are a strong advocate of "reparation payments", going from whites to blacks.

Nothing could be more divisive. Your stance does nothing but ensure continued strife and division for generations to come.

No one alive today owned a slave. No one today owes you anything. Nothing.

The more you attempt to impose on others how YOU think they should feel or think, the more they will push back.
No, she doesn't. Roslyn may not share your POV (or mine), but her posts are intelligent, well-considered and sincere. Her gifts as a writer are always evident. Even if I don't agree with her, her posts are compelling enough to give me pause to consider...just as I'm doing here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta