U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:56 AM

21 posts, read 151,728 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

Its looking more & more likely that we are moving to Atlanta. To hedge our bets, we'd like to apply to a couple of preschools here for the fall.

A Few Questions:

Are getting into preschools in Atlanta as tough as in places like NYC and DC? What are the best preschools within the city? Sites like greatschools and savvysource don't say much. Is there a "local moms site" I should know about where I'd find this info? I don't need daycare- just a good old fashioned nursery school a couple of days per week.

We're in ATL now for the month as my husband does some extended work, so I am able to go check out preschools. Your 2 cents is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 08:49 AM

102 posts, read 355,141 times
Well, I have a few questions that will help to narrow things down a bit.

In what general area do you plan to live? If you live in Buckhead, you definitely don't want to be commuting to preschool in Decatur, and vice versa.

Are you interested in any "specialty" preschools, such as cooperative or Montessori schools?

Are you interested in GA state Pre-K which is free for GA residents? Some of these pre-K's are top notch and others are mediocre.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:21 AM

Ideally, we'd like a cooperative or Montessori schools, yes, but good old fashioned Nursery School is fine too. We will be in Midtown, not Buckhead. Anything from Ansley Park to Druid Hills should be OK since we're only going two/three days per week.

When does the Pre-K program start? Can a 2 year old attend? I am very much interested in your feedback, especially on that subject. Thanks!

Old 02-10-2010, 12:18 PM

3,113 posts, read 6,686,516 times
Check out the Cliff Valley School: Cliff Valley School: Welcome (http://www.cliffvalleyschool.org/About/Welcome/ - broken link) It is a great preschool through 8th grade progressive, community ordered school. It might be just what you are looking for and would be geographically easy.

The state funded Pre-K requires that a child be 4 years old by September 1st.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:01 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,281,177 times
Ninety percent (or more) of preschools here aren't like NYC, no two years old are interviewed and evaluated. No parents are asked to submit resumes and references and the preschools here don't charge nearly as much either!

However, half-day preschools are a numbers game. There is generally more demand for space than there is supply. Now is prime preschool registration time.

Since you are, start making inquiries. Even if you aren't sure you will be here, it might be worth a deposit to hold a space in case you are.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:09 PM

Let's see... I'm sure that there are some more things in Midtown proper, but I'm not as familiar with that area so hopefully others will chime in too.

There is one top notch school in Midtown that I know of called the Children's School. It doesn't start until age 3 though .. .but it goes through 6th grade I believe. I know a ton of familes who have sent children there, and they were very happy. Also there is the Paideia School which I understand also starts at age 3. These schools are pretty expensive and competitive though and may be more than you are looking for at this point. Here's their websites so you can take a peek just to see:

The Children's School

Paideia School

In nearby Morningside, there is Haygood Preschool. I have heard very good things about it. It's just a regular church preschool. Also in the area is Morningside Day Out.. again just a regular church preschool, but very good. Here are those websites:

Haygood Preschool

Morningside Day Out, Inc

There are three cooperative preschools intown. All are top notch. We had two children attend Inman Park Cooperative and loved it. Also, there is Oakhurst Cooperative in Druid Hills and Grant Park Cooperative. Grant Park might be a bit far from Midtown for you though. Here are those websites:

Oakhurst Cooperative Preschool - Atlanta and Decatur Georgia
Grant Park Cooperative Preschool (GPCP) - Campuses in Cabbagetown and Grant Park, Atlanta, Georgia
IPCP - Welcome to Inman Park Cooperative Preschool

Montessori's

The only Montessori that I know of that is remotely in the area is Arbor Montessori's Emory campus. It's a preschool campus for a larger Montessori school that is located in the Northlake area. It is considered top notch. Here is their website:

Arbor Montessori School - Decatur, Georgia

Generally, in Atlanta, the church preschools are not competitive. They often operate by lottery or first come/first served. Paideia is very competitive, followed by Arbor and The Children's School. My understanding is that all the Coop Preschools interview parents to make sure that they are on board with the philosophies of the schools and are willing to make a significant volunteer contribution, but they are not as competitive as places like Paideia.

Cliff Valley is a great school, but is a bit far from Midtown. Check out the drive if you are interested and see what you think.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:16 PM

You ladies are fantastic! Thank you `

Old 02-11-2010, 04:19 PM

My little guy made me hit SEND prematurely.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up AND add all those links. I promise your efforts will be appreciated and your work will be utilized. This is great. Thanks again!

Old 02-12-2010, 07:11 AM

Thanks for your kind words! I get a kick out of being helpful to newcomers.

One more that I forgot about... Druid Hills United Methodist Preschool. It's on the corner of Ponce de Leon and Briarcliff Road - not too far from Midtown. Very popular among the Druid Hills, Virginia Highland, Poncey Highland set. It has an unfortunate acronym.

DHUMP Admissions

Old 02-13-2010, 08:07 AM

39 posts, read 117,268 times
I see that a lot of great options have already been mentioned. Let me just add First Presbyterian Preschool. It's right on Peachtree beside the High Museum. Both my children went there and we loved it. It starts at age 2 and is great if you are looking for a 2-3 day per week, half day program -- very sweet and neighborhoody. If you are interested in 5 days, definitely check out The Children's School. It starts at age 3 and has a full day and half day option. My kids started there in kindergarten after First Pres and are now in 4th and 6th grades. We couldn't be happier -- it's an excellent school and a wonderful community. I'm just sad that my 6th grader will be graduating and will have to go someplace else next fall!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or