U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 PM

46 posts, read 92,530 times

Advertisements

Hi, quick question: I've made it through 2 phone interviews and now have a decision-making final interview with a company in Midtown ATL next week and I will be flying down on Tuesday . Just in case I do need to make that move (meaning, I get the job), what suburbs are nearby (that are in good/"crime-free" areas)? Right now, I'd be looking to rent, but I don't yet know what my salary would be, so I apologize for being unable to answer that question at this time. I've heard of Sandy Springs/Dunwoody and that it's not as expensive as Midtown/Downtown. Any other good areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 12:43 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,877,196 times
It's really going to depend on your price range and the type of neighborhood you like. There are no "crime-free" neighborhoods anywhere in the world that I'm aware of. However, there are certainly areas that tend to have more or less crime than others. Many people in Atlanta value being as close as possible to their job simply because the commute can be very difficult. So if your job is in Midtown, you may want to look inside I-285 (aka "inside the perimeter" or "ITP"). However, if you prefer a more suburban existence and don't mind the commute (or if your job will not require you to drive during rush hour) you might prefer areas outside the perimeter (OTP) which certainly do tend to cost less than comparable ITP neighborhoods. Again, it will depend on how much you're going to be able to/want to spend. But rest assured, there are many excellent neighborhoods in and around Atlanta that suit pretty much any lifestyle from very cosmopolitan intown neighborhoods to small town-like neighborhoods, to typical sprawling suburbs to semi-rural exurbs.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:59 PM

23,125 posts, read 36,356,975 times
Might wanna read this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ead-first.html

Old 02-10-2010, 09:30 AM

Thanks guys...

I did read that 1st, but as you would have read, I don't have that information as of yet and just wanted to get an idea.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love7182 View Post
Thanks guys...

I did read that 1st, but as you would have read, I don't have that information as of yet and just wanted to get an idea.
OK, fair enough, but at least tell where you envision yourself. Urban? Suburban? Apartment? House? Condo? Townhouse? What do you want to do on weekends? Hang in the city? Head to the country? Leave the car in the garage? What is the maximum commute time that you are willing to endure? We could guess, but it would be helpful if you would provide some of these particulars.

Last edited by Iconographer; 02-10-2010 at 09:47 AM..

Old 02-10-2010, 09:49 AM

I'm currently looking at apartments. If I had to base my price range on my current salary, I'd say $500-$700 will work. I'd like to be as close as possible to my job in Midtown (but I'm aware that's quite an expensive area so I'm open to suburban (Northern) areas as well); travel no longer than 20-30 minutes if necessary.... On weekends, shopping and dining out are ideal. I'm not a big "partier" so that isn't a factor.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love7182 View Post
I'm currently looking at apartments. If I had to base my price range on my current salary, I'd say $500-$700 will work. I'd like to be as close as possible to my job in Midtown (but I'm aware that's quite an expensive area so I'm open to suburban (Northern) areas as well); travel no longer than 20-30 minutes if necessary.... On weekends, shopping and dining out are ideal. I'm not a big "partier" so that isn't a factor.
Try the North Druid Hills area. Considerably more bang for your buck, but still very convenient to Midtown. A 1 BR would be doable for 700.00 there.

Briar Hill Apartments - Home

Home | Calibre Woods - Apartments in Atlanta

Old 02-10-2010, 10:53 AM

11 posts, read 15,737 times
Are you sure you want to rent? If you want to live in town, you can get amazing deals and downpayment assistance to keep your monthly mortgage payment low. I'd buy right now if you have aa FICO score over 620. If you're unhappy with it in a year, you can sell it when the market jumps back up and make some cash.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislhough View Post
Are you sure you want to rent? If you want to live in town, you can get amazing deals and downpayment assistance to keep your monthly mortgage payment low. I'd buy right now if you have aa FICO score over 620. If you're unhappy with it in a year, you can sell it when the market jumps back up and make some cash.
Regardless of the market environment, I always think it's smart to rent for a while when you are finding your legs in a new city. And frankly, I think it's going to take much more than a year for the Atlanta (particularly condo) market to achieve reasonable liquidity.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:51 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,877,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislhough View Post
Woah doggies! Do NOT count on the market "jumping back up" in a year and making some cash on anything you buy right now. I agree that this is a GREAT time to buy (unprecedented really, between the incredibly low interest rates, government subsidies, and huge inventory), but the market has probably not even hit bottom (we still have years worth of foreclosures to get through) and once it does, the odds are that prices will not increase again at anything like they did during the "bubble." Historically, home prices in Atlanta have risen from 3-4% annually. IF we can get to where the market is stable within the next year or 2 and then start to get back to any kind of annual appreciation within 5 years, that's probably as much as you can realistically hope for. For decades people expected to buy a home and stay in it for at least 5 years before it made sense to sell. We need to get back to rational ideas of real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or