U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 7,575 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am thinking of moving to Atlanta this spring/summer and would like some input.

I' m a 21 year old female college student i love art & music... i'm looking for a atl neighborhood that has more of an indie feel.. what neighborhood would you recommend? I've heard of Little 5 points, and midtown... Could someone explain more details about these places? ( and do most surrounding apartments/lofts accept dogs?)

I have been to Piedmont Park (the dog park side) and thought it was cute! what area is that located in?

My parents live in towne lake/woodstock.. they moved there 2 years ago.. i def don't want to live in the burbs though... I love the city! I' m moving from Madison, Wisconsin (lived here my whole life)

....so its a big change! I moved to GA (towne lake suburb with parents) for 6 months last year and it was pretty hard to adapt to the "south" compared to the laid back midwestern people! I think maybe if i give the city a try.. i will like it! Please any and all input is appreciated!

I will most likely be attending Ga state or SCAD this fall if i choose to move..but i will have a car..

also...which part of atlanta is GA STATE located in?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 03:21 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,880,158 times
Georgia State is Downtown
SCAD is in Midtown
Piedmont Park is in Midtown

Midtown is high end "artsy" -- think "High Museum of Art" and the Symphony
Little 5 Points is funky, alternative "artsy" -- think artistic tattoo parlors, kite shops, things like that

Old 02-09-2010, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,653 times
Check out Kirkwood (all the artists I know live there), Edgewood, Cabbagetown, and East Atlanta. Little five Points might be good too but its generally kind of expensive.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:46 PM

33 posts, read 52,452 times
East Atlanta, Little Five Points, Reynoldstown, Old Fourth Ward, Candler Park, Kirkwood, Grant Park, West Midtown all have an indie vibe to them. I consider Midtown to be more upscale and yuppie-esque.

Also you might check out Castleberry Hill just south of downtown, its got an up and coming art scene with all kinds of studio space and galleries.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:00 AM

23,120 posts, read 36,406,938 times
^Great recommendations. Don't know what else I could add.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:16 PM

5 posts, read 8,465 times
Hey - I'm originally from Milwaukee and somewhat "artsy" myself (my mom teaches at MIAD). Piedmont Park is the border between Midtown and the Virginia Highlands. I agree with the above posts about Kirkwood, East Atlanta and Cabbagetown being more of the artsy areas, but to be frank, they are a little sketchy. Actually more than a little. I would especially worry about a 21/f unless you have roommates and/or an alarm - and your car is a target in those hoods too. For a nice combo of a fun area and safety, I would actually recommend checking out the Virginia Highlands over any of those places. It's not cheap, but you can sometimes find a decent basement or small in-law suite in the $750 range, all inclusive (I own a house and rent mine out to an Emory med student for that amount). Or there are roommate situations for even cheaper on Craigslist if you don't mind that sort of deal. Anyway - I agree that the South is very different from the Midwest, but after a winter or two here, I bet you'll grow to like it!

Old 02-11-2010, 08:45 AM

3,530 posts, read 7,364,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshamby View Post
East Atlanta, Little Five Points, Reynoldstown, Old Fourth Ward, Candler Park, Kirkwood, Grant Park, West Midtown all have an indie vibe to them. I consider Midtown to be more upscale and yuppie-esque.

Also you might check out Castleberry Hill just south of downtown, its got an up and coming art scene with all kinds of studio space and galleries.

We love those neighborhoods!!! We are moving soon but if i were you id pick one of those <very cool vibes!!!>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or