U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 08:07 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,485,872 times

Advertisements

We have been scouting ATL for about 3 years now...and have it in our mind...we think this year will be the big plunge. We are not moving without jobs or anything, we have our own business. However as backup want to stay near where alot of IT jobs are.

alpharetta keeps coming into play. Would you say the more concentrated IT jobs right now are in alpharetta or the city?

Is there an place inbetween the two with stellar schools, homes for 250-350k (shooting low because of the economy)..that offer a nice lifestyle?

Can you rent a home for 1500 a month? 4-5 beds 2-3 baths.

and lastly..talk to me about critters. I keep reading on the net how atlanta has huge roaches and ants so the kids cannot play outside. LOL oh and talk to me about snakes as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 08:12 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,310,793 times
I can't comment on the IT jobs, but I can comment on some of the other items.

- If you want to be between Alpharetta and Atlanta, you can look at Roswell, Sandy Springs, and Dunwoody. Your budget will go furthest in Roswell, but it's also the farthest from Atlanta of the three. If you're looking for 4-5 bedrooms on that budget though, you may not get something brand new in a great school district, but there's plenty of fairly new housing stock that'll probably suit your needs.

- Renting a 4-5 bedroom home for $1,500 can be done, but you're either going to be pretty far out in the burbs, or in an undesirable area.

- I wouldn't worry at all about roaches or ants. We've been here for three years now, and haven't seen a single roach, and fire ants aren't the huge problem some folks make them out to be. We had one fire ant hill in our front yard two years ago, and it was taken care of with one quick application of some stuff my neighbor had.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:20 AM

Thanks...I just saw such a large inventory...and I knew something had to be up. Our budget in a better economy would be closer to 400. But hey, just wanted to see how low I could go. Of course renting first is an option. I saw quite a few homes in lawrenceville (closer I gather)..but they must not be in the best part of town.

Any general thoughts on alpharetta?

Old 02-10-2010, 09:26 AM

39 posts, read 96,858 times
It really depends on what you mean by "IT jobs." I am a technical writer in Roswell, and my job went to Asia without me :-) I am hard pressed to find another job, although I work in IT. IT is so broad--do you mean telecom engineer? Web page editing? Software QA?

You should be able to find a good house in that range in Roswell or Alpharetta. For a rental, you might have to go a little higher if you want to rent something other than a townhouse.

As for critters--one huge surprise for us in Roswell was RATS! I think everyone in our neighborhood has had roof rats. You don't know they're there until you start looking around in the attic. We had a very expensive attic cleaning (including replacing all of the old insulation, which needed to be done anyway since the house is old) and rodent exclusion done to our home. In two months, the rats were back! We got rid of them again, had concrete poured in their tunnel under the foundation, and we're hoping this time they're gone for good. Oh, the giant roaches are terrible :-) They usually stay outside, but they seem to hunt around for ways to get into cooler places (like your house). They're only bad in August, and they're out more at night than during the day. Ants are bad, too. During the summer, we have at least two or three 6" tall (or taller) mounds going at any given time. We poison one, and it pops up somewhere else a few days later. They're not all fire ants, though. Only some ants bite, and with a small lot, it should be possible to keep the ants under control. I've only seen one snake since I've lived here (three years) and that was a harmless garter snake. If you live near a swamp or a river, then you're going to see more of that kind of thing.

I'm not totally in love with this area, though I guess it's OK. It's not the booming place it was a couple of years ago. It depends on what your expectations are. It doesn't snow much, so there's that :-)

Last edited by jtrosen; 02-10-2010 at 09:45 AM..

Old 02-10-2010, 09:58 AM

497 posts, read 831,466 times
I lived in ATL for 21 yrs and just moved away due to the lack of IT jobs in my specialty. From my experience and research, the IT jobs could be anywhere in the metro area. However, Alpharetta has a fair amount of IT shops, as does the Norcross area and Dunwoody. There are a lot of corp offices inside Atlanta so there are alot of IT jobs there as well. The last time I had to job hunt, it took me 5 months to get a short term contract which ended in Nov. This time I decided to do a national job hunt got one within 2 weeks. I did have to move to DC however. As I mentioned, I am specialized with what I do so jobs in my field are not common. (the good point though is that whenever they do come open, I am at the top of the candidate list!)

Old 02-10-2010, 10:20 AM

thanks..field is exec management network architecture, data storage, virtualization, building data centers, warehousing...etc etc. not your average networking job.

Thoughts on starting a consulting shop?

Old 02-10-2010, 10:47 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,633,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post

alpharetta keeps coming into play. Would you say the more concentrated IT jobs right now are in alpharetta or the city?

Is there an place inbetween the two with stellar schools, homes for 250-350k (shooting low because of the economy)..that offer a nice lifestyle?

Can you rent a home for 1500 a month? 4-5 beds 2-3 baths.
I am guessing that for your kind of specialization may be Alpharetta. In any case, concentration of IT jobs is in Alpharetta. Also, considering schools, Alpharetta makes it easier to find a home. If you chose the right spot in Alpharetta, you could drive (or even take a bus that comes to Mansell Rd park/ride, or even Windward Pkwy which is further north) to the North Springs MARTA train station, which will take you in town.

I would stick to 250K - 350K for purchase in the metro. Houses in a subdivision I follow that used to over 300K, are now firmly under 300K, with the foreclosure one under 250K.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:34 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,582,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Thanks...I just saw such a large inventory...and I knew something had to be up. Our budget in a better economy would be closer to 400. But hey, just wanted to see how low I could go. Of course renting first is an option. I saw quite a few homes in lawrenceville (closer I gather)..but they must not be in the best part of town.

Any general thoughts on alpharetta?
Just so you know, Lawrenceville is actually quite a nice place to call home. There are quite a few homes for sale, but that doesn't mean that is an undesirable area. With most of the metro, you really need to by school zone, rather than a mailing address.

Also, if you do end up working in Alpharetta, Lawrenceville would be quite a commute. I would consider Suwanee, as it is much closer, and is also quite a desirable place! Hope this helps, and please don't make assumptions.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post

I would stick to 250K - 350K for purchase in the metro. Houses in a subdivision I follow that used to over 300K, are now firmly under 300K, with the foreclosure one under 250K.
Thats where our head was too...homes that were once 400-500 (which we were willing to spend the when the oppurt came up 3 years ago...well I just have been seeing very similar homes in nice areas for 300...

I cannot believe the amount of inventory that is on the market (I mean its everywhere)...we would def rent first..to get a feel.

I just was looking intbetween, because it would be nice to have access to atl.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Just so you know, Lawrenceville is actually quite a nice place to call home. There are quite a few homes for sale, but that doesn't mean that is an undesirable area. With most of the metro, you really need to by school zone, rather than a mailing address.

Also, if you do end up working in Alpharetta, Lawrenceville would be quite a commute. I would consider Suwanee, as it is much closer, and is also quite a desirable place! Hope this helps, and please don't make assumptions.
we have visited lawrenceville and loved suwanee...so its all fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or