U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2010, 08:24 AM
 
196 posts, read 708,786 times
Reputation: 63

Advertisements

We are planning a trip to Atlanta. The weather forecasts says that it will snow through the weekend.
It doesn't snow all that much here (I am in Alabama). So I am wondering - does a snow day close roads and shops, or it would be just like any other ordinary day in Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2010, 08:26 AM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
8,021 posts, read 12,552,340 times
Reputation: 5944
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionT View Post
We are planning a trip to Atlanta. The weather forecasts says that it will snow through the weekend.
It doesn't snow all that much here (I am in Alabama). So I am wondering - does a snow day close roads and shops, or it would be just like any other ordinary day in Atlanta?

It should be an ordinary day. Contrary to popular belief, unless there is heavy snow things will continue to operate, and this storm is looking like it'll only be an inch or two maybe. If your spending your time in the city, ditch your car and take the train
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 08:27 AM
 
196 posts, read 708,786 times
Reputation: 63
Great! I'm looking forward to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,858 posts, read 15,195,854 times
Reputation: 3566
There isn't really any snow expected in the Atlanta area itself. There may be some winter precip south of the city and in South Georgia, but nothing beyond flurries here in the metro. I wouldn't get too worked up about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 09:34 AM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
8,021 posts, read 12,552,340 times
Reputation: 5944
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
There isn't really any snow expected in the Atlanta area itself. There may be some winter precip south of the city and in South Georgia, but nothing beyond flurries here in the metro. I wouldn't get too worked up about it.
Ah, I see you were listening to Ken Cook last night.

As a side hobby of mine, based on my obsession with snow as an native Atlanta, I keep track of a lot of weather related info. There were some models yesterday that predicted that nothing would happen in Georgia, but they reversed themselves again last night.

The national weather service is still expecting snow. The only question now is how much:

Quote:
Issued by The National Weather Service
Atlanta, GA
4:34 am EST, Thu., Feb. 11, 2010

... WINTRY WEATHER EXPECTED FRIDAY ACROSS NORTH AND CENTRAL GEORGIA...

A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM DEVELOPING OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO WILL BEGIN TO SPREAD PRECIPITATION INTO PORTIONS OF CENTRAL AND NORTH GEORGIA EARLY FRIDAY... CONTINUING INTO FRIDAY NIGHT. AT THIS TIME... IT APPEARS THAT IT WILL BE COLD ENOUGH FOR THIS PRECIPITATION TO FALL AS SNOW OR A MIXTURE OF RAIN AND SNOW OVER CENTRAL AND NORTH GEORGIA FRIDAY... BEFORE CHANGING OVER TO ALL SNOW FRIDAY NIGHT AS THE PRECIPITATION ENDS. LATEST INDICATIONS ARE THAT SOME AREAS COULD SEE SNOWFALL AMOUNTS IN THE 1 TO 2 INCH RANGE... MAINLY FROM THE ATLANTA AND ATHENS AREAS SOUTHWARD... BEFORE THE SNOW TAPERS OFF TO FLURRIES BY LATE FRIDAY NIGHT.

THIS SYSTEM IS STILL DEVELOPING AND THE EXACT TRACK IS UNCERTAIN. IF THE STORM TRACKS JUST A LITTLE FARTHER NORTH THAN CURRENTLY EXPECTED THE SNOW FALL AMOUNTS MAY BE HEAVIER AND SPREAD FARTHER NORTH ACROSS THE STATE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,858 posts, read 15,195,854 times
Reputation: 3566
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Ah, I see you were listening to Ken Cook last night.
No, actually I'm a private pilot and will be taking an airline flight to Florida today and returning tomorrow night. I was reviewing the outlook forecast with flight services and looking at the current TAF's. Things may change, but in general, I wouldn't expect much in the Atlanta area.

I mean let's face facts...1 or 2 inches is piddly anyway. People in the south get all worked up, but the reality is that storms like what's been pounding the mid-Atlantic and northeast are what I get wound up about, and I've been through many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
600 posts, read 1,450,743 times
Reputation: 409
I think it only supposed to maybe snow tomorrow (Friday)? Sat and Sun look pretty warm and sunny (according to weather.com).
And since the temperature is supposed to be above freezing on Fri, I don't think it will be a big deal, either. As long as there is no ice, we should be OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 10:04 AM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
8,021 posts, read 12,552,340 times
Reputation: 5944
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
No, actually I'm a private pilot and will be taking an airline flight to Florida today and returning tomorrow night. I was reviewing the outlook forecast with flight services and looking at the current TAF's. Things may change, but in general, I wouldn't expect much in the Atlanta area.

I mean let's face facts...1 or 2 inches is piddly anyway. People in the south get all worked up, but the reality is that storms like what's been pounding the mid-Atlantic and northeast are what I get wound up about, and I've been through many.
No one is saying it's going to be blizzard or talking about how people handle snow up north.

The models right now are trending for either 1 to 2 inches or maybe as high as 7 if that low pushes farther north. That's different from what you originally said about there being nothing. If it's on the higher end, the OP would have cause for concern due to the lack of plows and salt trucks. If it's on the lower end then he gets a pretty snow covered ATL holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Norman, OK
3,479 posts, read 6,484,614 times
Reputation: 1198
Winter Storm Watches up now for most of Metro Atlanta for 1-3".

For the OP - what part of AL are you coming from? There are winter storm warnings out for most of AL except for the far northern part of the state...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 01:49 PM
 
997 posts, read 4,311,717 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Winter Storm Watches up now for most of Metro Atlanta for 1-3".

For the OP - what part of AL are you coming from? There are winter storm warnings out for most of AL except for the far northern part of the state...
Yes. I heard that some parts of Alabama are going to much more than we are here. I even heard the Fl Panhandle too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top