Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 12:06 PM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times

Advertisements

Anyone had any experience with Carmax? Love their website. I can sit at home and search all their inventory within my price range with pictures and all. It seems that their prices are very high though. Do they negotiate. Feedback?

Recommendations for any other used car dealer in the area within a 30 minute drive of North Fulton.

Honestly I've never bought a used car before. This is for our daughter who is getting her license soon.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 01:02 PM

239 posts, read 922,500 times
I used to work at CarMax while in college. They do not negotiate at all (don't even try)... can you find a lower priced car somewhere else? absolutely. But what CarMax offers is convienence and a trusted name (for what it's worth). After spending 2 years working there, I trust there philosophy and have purchsed 2 cars from them myself. I'm not saying you should ONLY look at them... but definately keep them in mind in your vehicle search. Good luck!

Old 02-12-2010, 01:02 PM

83 posts, read 311,235 times
I had a very good experience with Atlanta Used Cars (Atlanta Used Cars - About Us). Most of their vehicles are low mileage. Obviously due your DD. You have to recognize that each car is different and there is no fool proof method for not ending up with a lemon.
ps: I am in no way connected to them.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,268 times
I would suggest you try taking a price quote from your local car dealers. You can try researching on google about the cars you might have shortlisted as per your budget so that when you go in for the test drives you know the going rate in the market. Do make sure you find out in details about the dealers after sales service and if there are any warranties associated with the vehicle you purchase. Many dealers provide certified pre-owned vehicles where you can find some really good deals if you keep looking at their online inventory and the specials pages.

Best
D.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:30 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
I sell cars and while the average consumer complains about the negotiation process, I still find that most people are saavy and up to negotiating. CARMAX has good cars and the process does work for some, but if you aren't shy of negotiating, any of your reputible new car dealers in the area will sell you as good a car for probably a good bit less than CARMAX.

Wherever you buy, always have them print you a car fax. If they won't, do not buy from them.

I recommend buying a certified used vehicle from the same brand's dealership. Meaning if you are looking for a used Honda, go to a Honda dealership and buy a certified used Honda. This has built in warranties and the car must go thru a vigorous inspection from that dealer. A car that has an accident report or any other negative mark on it on the car fax cannot be sold as certified. A certified used vehicle might be slightly more than an uncertified one from another dealer (meaning the same used Honda might be less at a Chevy dealer), but it is well worth the difference in my book to go to that make's dealership and buy certified from their pre-owned department.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:14 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
My BIL is a head service tech at a South Carolina CarMax and he confirms what I've heard and what you are reading here: The cars are checked every which way and should prove to be sound. He also confirms the sales price reputation--their price is their price. If I found what I really wanted at CarMax, I'd go for it.

On the other hand, Atlanta has a TON of leased vehicles, many with a good amount of warranty time/miles left on them at turn-in. I don't recall a price range for you but anything from a 2 year-old BMW to a 40 month-old Lexus all the way to a Honda Civic coming off lease could get you into a nice vehicle with warranty at a good price. I haven't heard that Georgians are paying sales tax on private sales(we left two years ago so pardon me if that finally got passed), so nabbing an off-lease vehicle from an individual could save another 7%(could be double or more the 'lease termination fee' that the original lessee would pay).

Back in the old days, many parents wrapped a boxy Volvo around their teens in order to provide some 'barrier' to the outside world. If I had a teen and wanted a substantial vehicle protecting her/him, I would look at an off-lease Volvo(non-turbo) S40 or similar.

I hesitate to suggest SUV-type vehicles but a car-based CUV like an Escape or Tribute could be a way to get the higher seating position that could benefit a newer driver. The prices should still reflect the slight trend away from gratuitous SUV-ness depending on the market.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2010, 10:19 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Back in the old days, many parents wrapped a boxy Volvo around their teens in order to provide some 'barrier' to the outside world. If I had a teen and wanted a substantial vehicle protecting her/him, I would look at an off-lease Volvo(non-turbo) S40 or similar.
Safety advancements in the last years have made old heavy Volvo cars like the boxy Volvo you mention obsolete. This is from Britain, but worth watching, breaks down the stereotype that bigger is safer.

YouTube - Fifth Gear Crash-test Volvo 940 estate vs Renault Modus

Old 04-24-2010, 12:50 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Safety advancements in the last years have made old heavy Volvo cars like the boxy Volvo you mention obsolete. This is from Britain, but worth watching, breaks down the stereotype that bigger is safer.
Indeedy, the auto folks are wrapping us in airbags and a bit less steel. A lot of car makers caught up to Volvo's safety ratings but I'd still consider a Volvo as a teen's first car. Those 200-series Volvos of two or three decades ago were tanks(and not so sporty as to encourage 'spirited' driving by the youngsters). The S40 or 60 would be the modern-day equivalent in an even safer and more attractive package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta