Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:13 PM

11 posts, read 21,808 times

Advertisements

I have received such great info on neighborhoods and towns for our move to the Atlanta area. But one thing I have had a difficult time finding out are details concerning the hub bub about the new high school in Milton. Is it moving forward, and have they made final decisions on which junior high will feed into the new school?

I would hate to uproot my high schooler more than once, anticipating the move from Winnetka will have enough drama.....Just want to make sure if we end up in Milton, we get started at the current high school and stay put.

Also, waiting to sign my 15 year old up for drivers ed until we move. Hoping it will help her meet some local kids right off the bat. Any advice on where to go in the Milton/Alpharetta area?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 02:38 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
I don't know for sure, but my guess is that Hopewell Middle school will feed into the new HS, while Northview students move over to Milton High. I haven't seen anything yet regarding boundaries, but the HS isn't scheduled to open until 2011-2012. Usually what happens is that juniors and seniors are allowed to remain at their current school, with the choice to attend the new HS if they want to.

My kids took driver's ed right at Milton High. Nathan's Driving school runs the program, and it is held either after school, or on weekends (your choice).

Old 02-23-2010, 02:48 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,495,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't know for sure, but my guess is that Hopewell Middle school will feed into the new HS, while Northview students move over to Milton High. I haven't seen anything yet regarding boundaries, but the HS isn't scheduled to open until 2011-2012. Usually what happens is that juniors and seniors are allowed to remain at their current school, with the choice to attend the new HS if they want to.

My kids took driver's ed right at Milton High. Nathan's Driving school runs the program, and it is held either after school, or on weekends (your choice).

The new high school will be located in the Bethany Bend Road Area, correct?

Then, the new high school will pull from Milton High and Alpharetta High.

The shift from these schools (Milton+Alpharetta) may cause the districts of other high schools to shift as well. Chattahoochee, presently, is underpopulated--the redistricting for Johns Creek High cut too deep.

The Milton High and Northview High districts are not close to each other--they are separated by the districts of Chattahoochee, Centennial, and Alpharetta.

http://www.fultonschools.org/dept/studentAssignment/maps/LargeAreas/LargeMap_NF&SS_HS.pdf (broken link)

http://www.fultonschools.org/dept/studentAssignment/maps/LargeAreas/LargeMap_NF&SS_MS.pdf (broken link)

Old 02-23-2010, 02:52 PM

109 posts, read 392,250 times
The High School is planned to be built on Cogburn/Bethany. I am trying to figure this out ourselves. I would guess that many of the students from Hopewell MS will attend the new HS while most of the Northwestern students will remain at Milton. In all honesty I think everybody is wondering what's going to happen and until the redistricting process is complete, no one will no for sure. I recently looked at the board of ed site and if I recall correctly this redistricting is going to affect Roswell HS, Alpharetta HS and Milton HS. Next year they will start the redistricting process. They have the renderings for the new school. The new school is scheduled to open for the 2012-2013 school year. There is also talk of building a new middle school on Freemanville Rd where they initially were going to build the new HS.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:34 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
I just realized I typed Northview MS instead of Northwestern MS.

If the new HS doesn't open until 2012-2013, the OP's child shouldn't be affected. As I said, they usually don't make juniors or seniors move schools.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 208happystreet View Post
The High School is planned to be built on Cogburn/Bethany. I am trying to figure this out ourselves. I would guess that many of the students from Hopewell MS will attend the new HS while most of the Northwestern students will remain at Milton. In all honesty I think everybody is wondering what's going to happen and until the redistricting process is complete, no one will no for sure. I recently looked at the board of ed site and if I recall correctly this redistricting is going to affect Roswell HS, Alpharetta HS and Milton HS. Next year they will start the redistricting process. They have the renderings for the new school. The new school is scheduled to open for the 2012-2013 school year. There is also talk of building a new middle school on Freemanville Rd where they initially were going to build the new HS.

Do you have link to the information about the new high school, etc.?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:37 PM

Below you will find some articles pertaining to the new high school. Evidently, when John's Creek HS opened Juniors and Seniors were allowed to stay at their former schools if they provided their own transportation.

Milton moves high school project forward

Plans shape up for Bethany Bend high

Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 PM

I was looking at the splost site for Fulton County and it appears as though an entire middle school goes to a specific high school and is not split between two high schools. I have not lived here for a redistricting and therefore do not know if this is always the case, nor am I absolutely sure about this but it does appear to be this way. I don't know if during a redistricting process they move the boundaries for feeder schools at the same time, and I would certainly be interested in what others have to say about this from past experience.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I was looking at the splost site for Fulton County and it appears as though an entire middle school goes to a specific high school and is not split between two high schools. I have not lived here for a redistricting and therefore do not know if this is always the case, nor am I absolutely sure about this but it does appear to be this way. I don't know if during a redistricting process they move the boundaries for feeder schools at the same time, and I would certainly be interested in what others have to say about this from past experience.

It's not always the case--it depends on the feed.

Take a look at the link below:

http://www.fultonschools.org/dept/studentAssignment/maps/LargeAreas/LargeMap_NF&SS_HS.pdf (broken link)

*Increase the size a bit, and you will see the present feeder percentage/split chart for elementary to middle to high school for North Fulton and Sandy Springs (at the bottom right). Very informative.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Below you will find some articles pertaining to the new high school. Evidently, when John's Creek HS opened Juniors and Seniors were allowed to stay at their former schools if they provided their own transportation.

Milton moves high school project forward

Plans shape up for Bethany Bend high

Obrigado!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta